AM
Posted By
Adam_Martin
Nov 30, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a sequence similar to the below items.

image_60_a copy.png
image_60_b copy.png
image_59_a copy.png
image_59_b copy.png
image_58_a copy.png
image_58_b copy.png

I need to remove " copy" from all of them, and the sequence contains 300 files. Are there any batch renaming tools in PS or Bridge that will allow me to simply strip those characters form the file names?

Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AC
Art Campbell
Nov 30, 2006
Probably would be easier if you download a utility that does this. Google "rename utility" for a l-o-n-g list that includes some freebies and trials….
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 30, 2006
Have you tried Windows Explorer?
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
Nov 30, 2006
I like Bulk Rename, a flexible utility from <http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php>
AM
Adam_Martin
Nov 30, 2006
I am unable to find anything in Explorer that can handle this. I will try looking for a seperate utility, as Art Campbell recommends.

If anyone has a rename utility that they use and vouch for, I would love to hear about it. Does anyone swear by one of the (many) ones out there?
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 30, 2006
From Windows Help:

Select the files you want to rename.
On the File menu, click Rename.
Type the new name, and then press ENTER.
All of the files in the series will be named in sequence using the new name you type. For example, if you type Birthday, the other files in the series will be named Birthday (1), Birthday (2), and so on.
AM
Adam_Martin
Nov 30, 2006
Joe: Thanks for the recommendation, I will look into Bulk.

John: I don’t think what you are suggesting works in my situation. I need the files to be stripped of " copy", and do not need an iteration number to be added to the end of the file name. Ex: ""image_60_a copy.png" needs to be renamed to "image_60_a.png".

Time to do some research. Thanks for your input everyone.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Dec 1, 2006
I concur with dave.
S
stevent
Dec 1, 2006
Oscar’s File Renamer is a text editor based renamer, it may be a little easier to use. <http://www.mediachance.com/free/renamer.htm>
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 1, 2006
The nice thing about Dave’s recommendation (The Rename) is that you can undo the rename if you make a mistake. You can preview it as well to help prevent mistakes.
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
Dec 2, 2006
…you can undo the rename if you make a mistake. You can preview it as well to help prevent mistakes.

Bulk Rename also allows undo, and it displays potential changes as you enter them. It sets itself up as a context menu item in Windows Explorer, making it very easy to invoke. Also, it accepts regular expressions, a feature I don’t use because it’s been too long since I knew how!
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 2, 2006
It sounds like they are quite similar as The rename has those features as well. I’ve been using The Rename for six years so I suppose it depends on what you’re used to.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections