MR
Posted By
michael_r_patriquen
Aug 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It’s that time again for new hardware and any advice or comments on choice will be most appreciated..

I’m thinking of a 100 series dual core Opteron to run primarily CS2 & macromedia suite under XP Pro 32. Looking for advice on configuration of:

– proper Operton
– best board to go with it
– RAM config as to type, amount & latency values.

Thanks!

-Michael.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

H
Ho
Aug 22, 2006
The new Intel processors leave AMDs in the dust. Why not go after the fastest thing out there?
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 22, 2006
The new Intel processors leave AMDs in the dust

From what I read, that’s highly subjective.
H
Ho
Aug 22, 2006
Hey, I’m an AMD guy but I haven’t seen anything credible that disputes Conroe’s performance advantage.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 22, 2006
Understood. I just read some stuff in PC Mag recently. When I get some time, I’ll find the article again…
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Aug 23, 2006
So far the Conroe processors are in very short supply — and AMD has drastically slashed its prices in response to the Conroe announcement. I just built a new box using an AMD Athlon 64×2 4600+ that was about a third of the price a month earlier. And boy does it scream, performance-wise (4GB Ram, a 78GB Raptor and 2 320GB Caviar HDs, both SATA and 16MB cache) — and it is also exceptionally quiet. There’s never been a better time to buy AMD’s better CPUs.
MR
michael_r_patriquen
Aug 23, 2006
Thanks Michael but I did the X2 4800+ a year ago when they cost a fortune, put it with a DFI lanParty ultra, 4 gig’s OCZ platinum low latency RAM and it screamed for awhile too but now it’s time to get into the dual Opterons..:-)

Gotta find the optimum config..Intel bytes (like MS)..

-Michael.
H
Ho
Aug 23, 2006
Old Opteron/dual core thread:
Nick Decker, "Compare speed of dual, dual core Opteron rigs" #1, 1 Dec 2005 9:30 am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

FWIW, over at the Anand Tech forums there is a Core 2 Duo Photoshop test in progress using the old spin blur benchmark. The fastest C2D time is 17 seconds on a non-OC’d Kentsfield 2.4GHz 6600 (Quad core). That’s at least 30% faster than the best Opteron time.
MR
michael_r_patriquen
Aug 23, 2006
Can’t trust those Intel dudes..they cheat sometimes 🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections