WE
Posted By
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My husband is thinking of upgrading his (rather old) laptop and has been looking at the 14" iBook. The thought is that we could take it on holiday with us and I could upload my photographs to it and maybe do a bit of editing whilst we were away. Then when we returned home I could move the photographs onto the iMac.

I’m not too sure if it would be OK for that … so has anyone ever used one of them with Elements?

Wendy

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 24, 2004
I have an older G3 Powerbook, think its about 4 years old and it runs PSE like a Lear jet. No problem, take it with you, download all your pictures, edit them happily with PSE, but don’t let anybody take it away from you. Don’t leave it in your car.
Jane
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 24, 2004
I don’t have the iBook, but I take my PowerBook on vacation with me all the time and download pictures. Does the iBook have a PCMCIA slot? If so, get a reader that’ll go in it. You’ll love the convenience.
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 24, 2004
Mine has USB and that will accomadate my card reader, works fine, all it needs, nothing fancy. Jane
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 24, 2004
Mine has USB, too, but I find the PCMCIA card much easier to use – and store. It’s about the size of a credit card, and I can just leave it in the computer and not have to hunt around for it.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 24, 2004
Hi Beth & Jane,

I have just checked out the specification and it doesn’t have a PC card slot … what a shame!. Looks like they are only on the 15" Powerbooks and they are quite a bit more expensive ….

Its good to know that the Mac laptops are OK with Elements .. I did wonder if the screen might be too small but it sounds like they are fine.

Now I can’t wait for him to order it and us to go away .. not too long to wait as we are away for a weekend in early March. Guess I will now be playing with Elements on holiday too 🙂 🙂

Thanks for the info and help
Wendy
SS
Susan_S.
Jan 24, 2004
I don’t know what the screens are like on the newer powerbooks, but my husband’s older one (it was a top end machine three years ago!) is pretty ordinary for looking at images – and it isn’t really callibratable that I can see – the angle of the screen makes such a difference to the brightness that you see. I learnt the hard way that images that look OK in his powerbook will not necessarily be the same when transferred back to my CRT imac.

Susan S.
LM
Lou_M
Jan 24, 2004
Don’t worry, LCD technology has improved quite a bit in the past few years. I have a 1 year old 12" iBook (G3) and an almost-new PowerBook (G4) and their screens really are gorgeous.

Elements has always worked fine on my iBook (G3, 800 MHz) and should be even better on a newer iBook that is both faster (933 or 1 GHz) and a G4 (optimized for multimedia).

You’ll love it, Wendy!
SC
Stephen_C._Smith
Jan 24, 2004
Wendy,

The iBooks have a firewire port. If you use a firewire card reader (I have the Sandisk) you will be amazed at the speed. The firewire readers currently only read compact flash, though. I love mine. It makes downloading a 256 MB card much faster than USB 1.0. I see that the new iBook has USB 2.0, so find a compatible reader and go for it. USB 2.0 is actually a tick faster than firewire 400.

Steve
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 24, 2004
Thanks everyone,

I am getting quite excited now … and pushing him to order it soon!!. Its good to know that LCD technology has improved so that there shouldn’t be too much of a problem between the two macs but I guess it will be worth testing out how they look side by side. After all I don’t want to spend ages working on something only to find that it looks awful on the CRT Mac.

I have just bought a new Card reader/writer (Tevion 6 in one) so I guess that I will have to stick with that for now … but the firewire or UBS 2.0 readers do sound interesting. I will read up on them (as I know nothing at all about them).

So thanks for the information and I will let you know how it goes Wendy

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections