Posted By
sonny
Jan 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello All

After having a client that had red-toned prints and print previews when using Photoshop Elements and CS -and- having selected the Epson provided paper profiles selected under Print (with) Preview under more options selected, I have been toying with the idea that perhaps we’ve managed to corrupt the Epson driver somehow. We are using Mac OS X 10.3.2 Jaguar.

We had been getting great prints with the following method:

Color Settings – No Color Management

Print Preview – Show More Options – Color Management – Print Space Profile: SP820 Premium Glossy Photo Paper – relative colormetric with black point compensation

Printer Settings –
Media Type Epson: Glossy Photo Paper
Advanced Settings: Photo (Epson natural color off)
Color Management: No Color Adjustment

After opening a particular image, when we print with these settings we get, on both the print and in the print preview (but not when working on the document in Photoshop), a nasty red tint.

About the image: the image was taken with a Nikon 995 digital camera. sRGB colorspace. exif 1.0.

So I tell the client to email me the picture, and I’ll try it out on my system. After opening and trying to print, I get the same thing. And now it affects ALL prints. Of course, when selecting same as source in the Print Space Profile, the red goes away, but the picture doesn’t look nearly as good as it had been when we were using the Epson provided profiles.

Figuring I must be doing something wrong, I went to visit the good ol’ folks at my local Apple Store. Do a test print, printer works fine. Download the picture that we had problems with, and whammo, problem is replicated. They are baffled. They can’t fix it.

I decide to try and remove all Epson printer drivers and what not on my computer. Re-install the driver package. Does me no good.

If you would like to screw up your system royally, feel free to email me and I’ll send you the picture (). I don’t want to link directly to it here because I don’t want people saying I screwed up their system without them acknowledging that they asked for it. I take no liability for what this image will do to your system.

The image was created by my client, not something he got in an email or downloaded from someone somewhere else. He has not done anything to the image other than auto levels and cropping. No malicious code was added to the image.

I’ve not had a chance to try this on a windows machine. All machines we tried it on were Apple Macs (G4 dual 450, G4 1.2, and two different g5’s, all running the latest version of panther. Programs affected are Photoshop Elements and Photoshop CS. RAM on these machines runs anywhere from 512 to 2 gig. All have had the monitors calibrated properly (before and after having the problem). It should be noted that using any other software that does not have color management does not bother the print (i. e. iPhoto, Preview, etc). Printers affected are an Epson 2200, photo 820, and a 1280.

Any thoughs or help would be greatly appreciated.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BB
brent_bertram
Jan 20, 2004
I’m not a MAC person, but perhaps a MAC person could test this out on both OS 9.x , as well as Panther. There are enough curious things going on with Panther to wonder if its not the OS, as opposed to the profiles. The same profiles should work under both OS’s ( even on a Windows box ).

I suppose that recent Epson profiles could be corrupt, but it sounds pretty unlikely . I do remember, though, that several years ago some motherboards shipped from Taiwan with a virus imbedded in BIOS . Anything is possible. <G>

🙂

Brent
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 20, 2004
Sonny,
I’ve looked at your image with both Photoshop 7 and Elements 2, and haven’t seen anything amiss. This is on a Windows 2000 box. Maybe a Panther thing ?!

😕

Brent
S
sonny
Jan 21, 2004
I’m betting it is a panther thing. Epson support isn’t much help so far, either. Perhaps I’ll snail-mail them the issue.
RC
Richard_Coencas
Jan 21, 2004
Sonny,

Try using the ignore exif plug-in from Adobe.

Rich

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections