How to Epson printer to use custom profile?

J
Posted By
JeffN
May 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve got an Epson 890 photo printer, running on OS10.3.3,Photoshop CS, and up dated the epson drivers for 10.3.3 a month ago. I just got the GretagMacbeth EyeOne Photo to profile my epson papers/printer. EyeOne created the profiles (about 8 different based on various paper & resolution combinations), but I don’t see anyway to get the epson to let me choose/apply the icc profiles I created. When I used OS9.1 with this same printer I could pick my profile, but the print box is different for OSX. Can anyone offer any help or suggestions? I contacted epson support, but they have not responded yet.
Thanks for the help.
Jeff

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AR
Andrew Rodney
May 26, 2004
Apply the profiles either using Convert to Profile or optionally (not as well) Print with preview. The Epson driver is flaky about accepting some 3rd party ICC profiles in the driver (ColorSync tab). Just apply the profiles in PS and set the driver as you set it to output the i1 targets (usually No Color Adjustment).
C
CygnusX1
May 26, 2004
Apply the profiles either using Convert to Profile

So essentially Andrew, is it best to open an image and if it is tagged or untagged you should convert the image profile (image>mode>convert) and select the "custom" profile for the Epson paper ?

Which essentially means that in the print preview one would select "same as Source" in the Print Space option ? since PS has already done the conversion ? or would one still select the
"custom" profile in the Print Space and not "same as source" ?

questions, questions.
J
JeffN
May 26, 2004
Andrew
Thanks for the reply. I’ll give that a try.

I downloaded a pdf from your web site a long time ago about how to prepare a file for output to make and icc profile, and how to apply that profile in the epson/photoshop print driver. That was back in PS 5.5 It was great info and a big help. Your diagrams and explanation cleared up a lot of muddy water from other sources. Keep up the great work!

One last item, in your reply you make a point of saying that the Print with preview is (not as well). Can you be more specific. I take it that you don’t use the Print with preview, is that true and if so, why? I looked thru the PS help and it only tells you to use the Print with preview.

PS.whats your web site, and anything you’d recommend me to check out?

Thanks again
AR
Andrew Rodney
May 26, 2004
Print with Preview OR Convert to Profile but not both. They do the same thing. The nice thing about Convert to Profile is you get a soft proof when the preview check box is on so you can pick rendering intent and such. Bad news is you alter the file so you want to insure you don’t save changes after sending the document to the printer, do the conversion on a duplicate (and save if you intend to print again) or just do not save changes when closing. With Print with Preview, the color management happens as the data is sent to the driver so the original document is untouched. You can’t soft proof however so you need to know before using this method what intent you wish. The little preview in the Print with Preview command is not color management so ignore it for color (it’s FPO only). So it’s six of one, half dozen of the other. Whatever method you prefer.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections