KP
Posted By
Kurt_Pfaff
Aug 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OK now what! I upgraded to CS and now when I create a selection and have it linked with other layers and perform a transform only the layer I have directly selected, not linked layers will move. Arrrrgh

Powerbook g4 10.3

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 10, 2004
Transform never worked with linked layers and a selection going. Deselect.
KP
Kurt_Pfaff
Aug 10, 2004
Really!? Ah… OK, under Photoshop Help, Specifying what to transform……To transform multiple layers, link the layers together in the Layers palette. (See Linking layers.)

I read that as being able to transform selections.

Well then, Here’s one for the wish book.

Thanks for your response. I tried to do it in v7 and guess what? You can’t do it there also. I’ve been working too hard. I swear I did that before. ……help. Time for a vacation.
J
jonf
Aug 10, 2004
The key is to deselect. It will indeed transform multiple linked layers, but with a selection active it will only assume you want to apply the transform to the selected area in the active layer.
P
progress
Aug 10, 2004
its a feature i’d like to see implemented…cant see why it cant be done
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Aug 10, 2004
Because a selection is specific to a particular layer, that’s why.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Aug 10, 2004
Where there’s a will, there should be a way.
(nice one Kurt and progress!)
KP
Kurt_Pfaff
Aug 10, 2004
What inspired this all is I had an image on one layer and my highlights on another and I needed to distort them both to fit another shape precisely the same.

Don’t you think there is a need for this feature?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 10, 2004
Maybe, but I can see why it is the way it is. What you can do is either transport your selection to its own layer (Command-Shift-J)and link and transform, or transform then do Command-Shift-T (Transform Again) on the other layers.

The thing with selections as I understand them is that when you make a selection you are choosing to affect a specific bunch of pixels only. Nothing outside the selection, and that meands any pixels on another layer, can be affected.
P
progress
Aug 10, 2004
Jeff…selection isn’t neccessarily particular to any layer, its only that you can only select one layer to work on…selections work on any layer you select.

So is there something stopping an option for the application to have an option for the selection to work with layers that are linked to it?

The number of times i have had to save selection and then repeat transform for every layer i want to affect is quite considerable. It’s a workaround, but i’d prefer it to work rather than having to work around it.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 10, 2004
Wouldn’t making a Stamped Layer (Option merge-visible into new layer) of your chosen layers; and just transforming the Merged layer; solve this one?
KP
Kurt_Pfaff
Aug 10, 2004
Not if you need to keep the layers separated, not merged.
P
progress
Aug 11, 2004
which is often the way, otherwise just merging would solve it.
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Aug 11, 2004
So. . .when would a selection on a layer _NOT_ be just a single selection on a single layer and when would it mean a selection on multiple layers? That’s a slippery slope. Linking? How many times would THAT cause user problems.

I just don’t think that the concept of a selection being anything other than a selection of specific pixels on a specific layer to be a good idea.

There’s already linking and sets to allow you to group specific layers in a specific group so that at least some opperations will occur on all nested layers. There’s also layer masks that could come into play.

Nope, sorry, can’t see the value vs the problems. Now, if one where to ask to be able to do more things on more layers at once, I could get behind that. . .but a selection being anything other than a specific set of pixels on a specific layer, nope.
P
progress
Aug 11, 2004
Jeff, you missing the inbetween…we’re talking about transforming selections…we’re not saying selections work on every layer linked, we’re saying it would be nice as an option to Cntrl-T them together, thats all.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 11, 2004
Maybe there could be a "Layer Selection" function that would act like Layer Masks. You could have an active selection on one layer, a secondary active selection on another and so on…

What a can of worms.
P
progress
Aug 11, 2004
just an option for "transform selection across linked layers" should do it…simple…either on or off…on we get more funtionality, off Jeff stays happy.
KP
Kurt_Pfaff
Aug 11, 2004
Yea, like the rubber stamp tool that has a "use all layers" check box. When in transform add a simple check box on the tool bar on top that says "use linked layers".

I’m sorry but I don’t seem to be able to understand why this would be a problem.
P
progress
Aug 11, 2004
perhaps chris can bring some insight.

the reason it would be handy for me is when we build texture maps, they may carry several layers for different aspects of the material, like relfection, diffuse, opacity, bump etc. Often a tiny change on one layer means changing all the others one by one or by repeat transform.

It would be nice if selections perhaps did have the option to work through linked layers, or even linked channels, but i can accept how that would cause confusion…so perhaps just sticking with linked selections under the transform scenario with a checkbox would be nice.

It would also be nice to link layer masks with other layer masks, but keeping layers unlinked…but thats for another day.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections