Help files do not work or install -Color layer will not blend with others.

P
Posted By
Paul__OtaKing_
Jan 25, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Well, Photoshop CS2 has really been testing my patience.

First, the help files, as of today (they worked before) have mysteriously ceased working. If I click on Photoshop Help, I get the error message "The memory could not be written." The same message appears if I try to reinstall Adobe Help Center, and when I attempted to reinstall CS2 entirely.

Secondly, the reason I needed the help files is because my color layer will (as of today) not merge with other layers. When I try to merge a layer set to "color" with, say, a "normal" layer, the color effect automatically disables as it merges, leaving a horrible mass of paintwork on top of where my nicely shaded color effect used to be. Now, I am certain color layers used to blend, as I’ve done this simple operation many times.

Reinstalling Photoshop CS2 hasn’t fixed either of these problems, rendering it almost unusable (I use color layers a lot).

Any thoughts, anyone? Also, please bear in mind I know nothing about PCs, so any technical instructions short of "go into the help folder and delete everything" will be lost on me.

Cheers,

Paul Johnson.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

C
chrisjbirchall
Jan 25, 2007
First step in the trouble-shooting procedure should be to reset the Preferences file as detailed in the FAQs. A corrupt prefs (often caused by a crash or bad shut-down) can lead to all sorts of strange behaviour.
L
LenHewitt
Jan 25, 2007
Your second step is the Help Files FAQ –
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bbb6bdd
P
Paul__OtaKing_
Jan 25, 2007
Sorry folks, but neither of those worked.

Deleting all preferences didn’t change the fact that color layers still won’t merge, and I still couldn’t open help.

I’ve already tried the help FAQ, but as I said, trying any of the options just brings up the same message "The operation could not be completed" – then "The memory could not be ‘written’."
This is also the case when attempting to rebuild the help files by running the .exe stated in the FAQ.

So, I have just attempted to uninstall Photoshop completely… which did actually happen, except that the message came up *again* halfway through the uninstall proces.
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 25, 2007
"The memory could not be ‘written’."

that’s a dll version conflict error. uninstall then reinstall. clean up the leftover files if the uninstall fails…
P
Paul__OtaKing_
Jan 25, 2007
Aha… well, I did as you say and Help files now appear as normal. So that’s all good!

Color layer still won’t blend though! Grr… It’s making me enraged.
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 25, 2007
Color layer still won’t blend though!

i’m not sure exaclty what you mean. can you describe it a little better? maybe with a clear, real life, example?
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 25, 2007
Aha… well, I did as you say and Help files now appear as normal. So that’s all good!

that’s cool! 🙂
P
Paul__OtaKing_
Jan 25, 2007
Um, yes, let me see if I can hotlink an image of the problem… http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/7842/problem6lf.jpg
P
Paul__OtaKing_
Jan 25, 2007
Ah. I see that I can’t.
But if you click that link, it should still work, though.

Cheers!
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 26, 2007
actually you can leave of the [img] stuff and just drop the url in and the forum will create a link:

<http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/7842/problem6lf.jpg>

yup. that’s wierd. what are the settings on the brush you’re using? normal or something else?

until someone shows who maybe knows what’s going on you can create the blank layer, leave the mode at normal and paint your color on with the brush set to color mode (in the option bar).

definately strange.
CB
charles badland
Jan 26, 2007
What blend mode (or opacity) is the layer below your color layer? That will have an influence… especially if you Merge both layers, as opposed to targeting the color layer and Merging Down. If you target two layers (having two blend modes or different opacities) and Merge, you’ll get a layer with normal blend mode and 100% opacity. This is not new behavior.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections