JH
Posted By
Joe_Henry1000
Jan 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
As some of you know, I live in north central Minnesota. As most of you probably don’t know, Minnesota has something like 8 months of winter 😉 and much of the time it’s gray and overcast. I’m wondering if any of you might have some tips on shooting under these conditions. Today for example was pretty typical. We had a dusting of snow last night so the landscape is covered with fresh white snow but the sky was typically white/gray overcast. If I go out and take pictures I get a lot of blue snow and even when I accidentally compensate for that (purely by chance) I get, well, uninspiring white/gray overcasty looking shots. Minnesota can be pretty in the winter. I just wish I could capture some of it’s beauty.

Any tips?

Joe

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 13, 2004
Joe,

I’m interested in the same thing as I’m taking up snowshoeing and xcountry skiing this year and I’m taking my smaller digital with me all the time. In this part of the world, we don’t get a lot of sunshine during the winter…not that much during the summer either.

One thing I have noticed is the importance of contrast and the difficulty of finding it, otherwise it’s going to look like a washed out photo. I’m starting to experiment and keep my eye open for interesting contrast. While I was skiing, my friend pointed this out to me as a nice photo and I think it turned out nicely. I did have to get rid of the blue cast and increase brightness a touch but it gives a good example of contrast. It was taken on a very overcast day.

<http://www.pbase.com/image/24341092>

I frequently find the snowfall very beautiful but how to capture it is a challenge for me.

I think there are also considerations, compensation, for exposure with the reflection from the snow with even a little sun light.

I would also suggest purusing forums where you may find photographers who are very experienced at this like at fredmiranda.com or

<http://www.photozo.com/forum/portal.php>

I’m certainly interested in learning more as well.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jan 13, 2004
Very nice shot Mark!

I’ll check out the other link tomorrow. Got to hit the hay now, 04:30 comes awful early.

I read somewhere a technique for eliminating or at least reducing the blue cast but I can’t remember where I saw that. It could’ve even been here but I searched and didn’t see anything. I’ve also been utilizing the library but I just can’t find a whole lot on the subject.

Maybe some of the pro’s will chime in? 🙂

Joe
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 13, 2004
Joe, there are many techniques for removing the blue cast. However, I find in many cases that I don’t want to eliminate the blue cast altogether because it can be real (reflection of the sky) or give the right mood (snow is cold!). Personal preference thing, I suppose…or maybe I’ve just taken so many blue snow pictures I’m used to them!

Chuck (NOT a pro chiming in….sorry)
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jan 13, 2004
Chuck, no need to be sorry!

Care to share some those techniques? I’m interested in preventing the blue cast in the first place with my camera, if possible. I know I can probably do it in PSE but I’d like to get the shot as good as I can with the camera.

I agree that some blue cast can be desirable, but did you check out Mark’s image? It’s great and although he said he did some retouching afterward I want to aim for this fidelity (right word? probably not) at the camera.

Joe
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 13, 2004
Joe, here’s an interesting article, among many that come up with the Google ‘snow photograph blue cast’.
http://www.wildsnow.com/tips/photo.htm

A few articles say the color cast is worse in underexposed conditions. If you meter the snow, the camera tries to make it 18% gray (the midpoint of the camera exposure range); somehow, the underexposure also causes the color to shift toward blue. (I think that makes sense for film, but not sure why it happens in digital too…?) Recommendation is to meter something other than the snow (your hand?); failing that, overexpose 1 or 2 stops using camera’s exposure compensation.

Re color cast removal techniques: Enhance>Adjust Color>Color cast is the easiest, although I’d recommend using it on a duplicate layer as it’s not available as an adjustment layer. Using a Levels adjustment layer and balancing the black and white points of the individual channels also can be effective. Will try to dredge up some more…

Chuck
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 13, 2004
Here’s a series of winter photographs posted on fredmiranda.com. I don’t know if you need to register to view these photos.

<http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/65038>

One of my greatest concerns is using the camera in the cold. I’m a nervous about taking my better camera into the cold weather. Thanks for the link Chuck. I’m going to print out that info.
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 13, 2004
Hi Mark, Wonderful photos! I don’t envy all that cold weather that you all have out there, but it will hit Zero again in New England tomorrow according to the WC.
To go out in that weather and take pictures is neat, I would be chicken and jump right back into the truck.
When it is really cold, can’t you just stuff your camera case inside your coat? Jane
J
john
Jan 13, 2004
Winter and grey skies are something we Canadians know a fair bit about.

1.) I try to maintain the attitude that there are no ‘bad’ light conditions, just different (and sometimes ‘better’) ones. Think of it this way – the entire world has just been flooded with NORTH LIGHT, prized by photographers and artists alike. (Mmmm. Maybe I should start an Internet business selling bottled Canadian North Light?)

2.) Wintertime with flat lighting is an opportunity for me to head for the nearest woods. Scenes that would be difficult to control (extremely contrasty) in bright sunlight, become achievable in these conditions. After all, I can increase contrast in ‘processing’, but I can’t bring back pure white highlights (TIP: unlike film photography where you expose for the shadows and process for the highlights, with digital you have to expose to keep the highlights, then tease the information out of the shadows).

3.) Another unexpected benefit of shooting in these conditions is that there are fewer joggers/walkers out there with you, popping into your picture unexpectedly.

4.) Winter with flat lighting can be an excellent time to explore Black and White. Often the scene is quite ‘monochromatic’ to begin with.

5.) Change your subject matter. Look for a scene that depicts feelings about winter and grey skies. Strive for a picture so cold, bleak, stark, desolate, despairing and lonely, that the viewer is chilled, reminded of his powerlessness against the forces of Nature, and his insignificance in the universe. Look for a scene that makes an isolation cell look ‘homey’ by comparison. Get yourself in the mood by watching FARGO again. Or reading ‘The Gulag Archipelago’ by Solzhenitsyn. (Or maybe not. Winter might be OVER by the time you finish THAT one).

6.) Describe things differently, then try to capture it. Maybe those aren’t grey skies, they’re ‘leaden’ or ‘steely’. Can you make a picture that really shows leaden or steely skies? At least with digital, you’re not burning up film/photo paper trying to find out.

7.) Make a complete series of pictures of ‘snow angels’ in various locations in Minnesota. ‘Snow Angel in Front of Prison’, ‘Snow Angel Beside Barn’, ‘Snow Angel on the Governor’s Front Lawn’. Some art/photo gallery in New York is bound to snap it up. 🙂
BJ
Barbara_J_Breault
Jan 13, 2004
My problem is removing the blue. Siply way to do this?
Barb
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 13, 2004
Barb

First don’t believe you meter open up at least one stop. Second when you import it into Elements and if it is still to blue go to Enhance > Adjust Color > Colour Cast Click the eye dropper onto the snow an the show will be white again.

Grant
LK
Leen_Koper
Jan 13, 2004
Barb,

Grant is right. As usual.
But if you misplace the picker just a tiny little your snowscape will be a nice magenta "winterwonderland".
So, work, as usual, on a layer and adjust the opacity afterwards.

Leen
DG
David_Gairo
Jan 13, 2004
Many digital cameras have a method to override the Auto White balance. It may mean entering manual mode or searching some menus. The procedure on my Nikon 4300 is to go to Set White Balance menu selection, point the camera at something that should be white and press the shutter button.

There may also be Scene selections on a menu. One of them could be Cloudy. That would also modify the white balance setting of the camera.
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 13, 2004
Another way to manipulate the blue cast is to use a levels adjustment layer and a hue/saturation adjustment layer. With both of these, don’t use the default RGB mode. Choose the blue and then adjust the different levels that are available. I think you will find that a combination of the two layers will give you a lot of control. If you have a lot of layers and don’t want the adjustment to affect the entire image, just make sure that you place a check mark in the "group with previous" box, and it will only make adjustments to that layer. Maybe this isn’t the perfect solution for you, but it might get you headed in the right direction..
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 13, 2004
Sometimes Auto Color Correction is all you need. Try it sometime.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 13, 2004
We don’t get snow too often but I have picked up quite a few tips for when we do.

One of the things I like about this forum is that there are always new hints and tips … it really is great

Thanks everyone
Wendy
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 13, 2004
We don’t get snow too often

….rub it in why don’t you !

Oh wait..you get tons of rain…I’m not jealous anymore 😉
T
Tel
Jan 13, 2004
Don’t worry, the cold is good for it (photographically) it reduces the noise. Don’t lick your camera though 🙂
Tel.
T
Tel
Jan 13, 2004
Now where did that reply go? and how do I get answers to show up in the right place in a thread?

Nice compositions.

Don’t worry about the camera and the cold, it’s good for it (photographically). Noise is reduced. Think my first reply went to the great bit bucket in the sky.

Tel.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 14, 2004
Jodi,

We get so much rain that the camera needs its own umbrella 🙂

Wendy
BB
Barbara_Breault
Jan 14, 2004
This Topic showed up just in time.
I will be spending a week on the Bay at Traverse City, Mi I hope to take a lot of Ice and Snow pictures. I want to thank Joe for starting this thread and all the great answers to Joe’s and my
questions. Thank you Grant,Leen,David,Jim Mark And John etc. I will be working back and forth with all the ideas to accomplish the best pictures. Will start with Camera settings, and go on from there. Loads of fun to come.
Barb
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 14, 2004
Hmmm, "on" the bay? Does that mean you’re going to be living in an ice-fishing house all week?

Or are you going to do ice-boating and all of that kind of stuff?

Enjoy, although I much more appreciate Traverse City and environs in the summer and fall. Dick
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 14, 2004
She’s a brave one
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 14, 2004
Traverse City, Tropical paradise? My daughter’s best friend lives in Leland, and she said that the weather there is so bad in the winter, that she is going to move! She is from Cape Cod, and our winters are not that nice either. She was here for Christmas, and just made plans to move to Atlanta soon as the school year is over.
It is 6º on Cape Cod right now, our wood stove is cranking, and I am on the net making reservations to go back to Costa Rica. I’ve had enuf of this weather. No, I really shouldn’t say that, as when the weather is like this, I stay indoors most of the time and learn PSE!
Jane
PD
Pete_D
Jan 15, 2004
Jane,

Not to discourage anyone but I never realized when I lived up north that you need to get at least 150 miles south of Atlanta to escape snow and temperatures below freezing. And at least 300 miles down into Florida to avoid frost. But you do shorten the duration of winter the further south you go.

While Atlanta does not get much snow it does get cold, and a LOT of rain (114 day a year on average). I was disappointed when I was promoted and moved up to Atlanta from sw GA. But happy again when I later moved to Florida.

Pete
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 15, 2004
We used to spend a lot of winter time in Costa Rica and Belize back when we had the time to travel. But there was one thing that people who lived there, who had come from temperate climates, said they really missed, and that was the change of seasons. They had given up their homes, some in the USA, but mostly Canada, and after a few years, went back home full time. We only rent when we go to CA.
Jane
PD
Pete_D
Jan 15, 2004
Jane,

Last I read recently there were 23,000 people a week that move to Florida. There is a small percentage that last less than a year. Some for the change of seasons, some miss family (women miss children mostly it seems). But those that last the first year seem to be permanent:)

A few neighbors around here have moved back. But the city has grown from 13,000 to 37,000 in just four years. Most of that growth is people moving from the north. (but it is not for everyone. summers are Hot!)

Pete
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 15, 2004
one thing that people who lived there, who had come from temperate climates, said they really missed, and that was the change of seasons.

Just shows they’re unobservant, Jane. There are seasons everywhere, only they’re much more subtle in the tropics/sub-tropics. I’ve heard that remark my whole life and never have understood it.

There’s plenty of difference between a December day and one in June, even here (and I don’t mean just temperature), and it still mystifies me that they can’t see it.
LM
Lou_M
Jan 15, 2004
Well, Barbara, when I first moved to Minnesota I didn’t see much of a difference between a December day and February day, but it’s much more obvious to me now.

Nowadays people are so into productivity and rushing to get things done that they don’t notice the world around them.

Humans try to conquer nature, rather than work with it.
LK
Leen_Koper
Jan 15, 2004
On the radio here in the Netherlands I heard news about terrible weather in NY State and around the Great Lakes. Anyone out there having problems?

Leen
BB
Barbara_Breault
Jan 15, 2004
I will be staying on the edge, but who knows how far we will be traversing the ICE! Lou, by the way I also live in Central S. MN.
Looking forward to more snow then we have here!!
Barb
RA
Rich_Alfieri
Jan 15, 2004
A friend of mine who knows much more about photography than I sets his camera exposure compensation to +0.7 to +1.0 EV for snow shots. Checking the histogram can tell you when you have the setting correct.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 15, 2004
Leen

At the western end of Lake Ontario we are having a not so typical winter high. The sky is beautifully crystal clear and the temperature is around -15° C without the wind chill. What isn’t really typical with this weather is we had about 20 cm of snow last night. Everything is moving just a bit slower than on a normal day. Last night I has something on my mind and couldn’t sleep so, at 4, am I went and shovelled snow. The night was beautiful, the moon was just visible through high wispy clouds and there was very light snow falling. It was very cold almost -30° C and the falling snow was almost crystaline. At the right angle the snow caught the street lights and looked like little flecks of diamonds. I was very well dressed for the task and the silence of the night, the beauty of the snow and the crispness of the air was magical. While winter can be perceived as something to endure there are those moments that are so beautiful they are indescribable.

G
B
bethC
Jan 15, 2004
Hi Leen
Bitterly cold arctic air has been entrenched over Southern Ontario (Canada) courtesy of a frigid northerly flow coming out of a large slowly moving arctic high over far Northern Ontario. Northerly winds combined with the frigid air mass is resulting in extreme wind chills of the minus mid forties over Eastern Ontario. So here in Ottawa, like Montreal we are not getting the snow – just very cold. There will be skating on the Rideau Canal!

beth
J
john
Jan 15, 2004
RE: Ontario weather. I think I’m going to have to buy some thin ‘super thermal’ socks and gloves for photographing in the cold. I keep looking outdoors but I am reminded of the LAST time I tried to take pics at -30C. I didn’t have the right gear to keep my fingers and toes safe, and it was useless to persist.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 15, 2004
Leen, yea, freezin’ my butt off in Upstate NY. Save the beauty for the postcards thank you.
LK
Leen_Koper
Jan 15, 2004
Jodi,

Saw it on CNN, but missed the shot of your butt.
To all the others enduring the cold: tighten the screw of your belly button in time, else your butt might fall off as well.
😉

Leen
B
bethC
Jan 16, 2004
Hahaha
I’ll do that – temperature going down to -43 tonight with the wind chill factor. 🙂
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 16, 2004
Fuel oil wont be here t’il monday morning…meanwhile the tank is kissing the dreaded ‘E’ marker…must go to store and get a couple of 5 gallon containers to hold us through. Prices have sky rocketed to 1.44 gallon ! …ya….tell me i’m not getting played as a dumb consumer !
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 16, 2004
Jodi, whassa matter with your heating oil distributor? Tomorrow’s a workday, at least in most parts of the world. Sure hope they don’t take off for the Monday holiday…
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 16, 2004
Yes it is cold … how cold?

All the monkeys have been taken indoors at the zoo. Ta Dum

It is so cold that it’s cold enough to freeze the reproductive orbs off of inorganic members of the simian species. …. Rhim Shot

Last night my wife and I had words but we will have to wait until the spring when they thaw to see if it was serious or not. … Symbol Crash

Just reminder we are comfortable with this in Canada because we are use to the seasons. In fact we have two seasons …. winter and road repair. … ba-da-bing

g.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 16, 2004
Oh Crap Chuck….I hope not ! Now you got me nervous…well, she gave me the time and date….sooooo, hopefully she knew better than to set me up on a holiday.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 16, 2004
Grant, that was almost as Good as that Clinton Joke…and i loved Bill 😉
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 16, 2004
Jodi, hopefully they’re watching your ‘degree days’ and your tank isn’t really approaching empty. Pain in the butt to restart the furnace if it goes out on low fuel…I’d call them tomorrow and insist on a delivery before the weekend.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 16, 2004
oh…for those who are wondering…Grant sent me a great joke via my mailbox….didn’t want people to think i think ‘he’ is a joke 😉
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 16, 2004
Jodi

You have everyone guessing …. maybe you should post the Clinton Joke … that is if you don’t want any friends.

G.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 16, 2004
Re Clinton, I almost said something…..but decided to restrain myself. 😉
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 16, 2004
Chuck, ya, I’ll call in the morning and see what they can do. They are very busy and have few drivers/trucks ( you know how it is )….I stick with them because they have the best prices…and they know who i am….just like at Cheers 😉
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 16, 2004
Grant, it is funny and does not put my favorite presie at risk;

Just watched a show on Canadian TV. There was a black comedian who said he misses Bill Clinton.

"Yep, that’s right – I miss Bill Clinton!"

"He was the closest thing we ever got to having a black man as President.

"Number 1 – He played the sax. "Number 2 – He smoked weed. "and Number 3 – He screwed ugly white women."

"Even now – Look at him.. His wife works and he don’t; And, he gets a check from the government every month."
SK
Shan_Ko
Jan 16, 2004
Jodi,

Love your #47’s joke on Teflon Bill. Iv’e downloaded it to my Jokes folder for keeping. 😉

Friends in Ontario.

The impression I had of the winter chill in northern Ontario wasn’t all that bad. Nearly forty years ago, I was visiting a classmate in his home town for a week in Timmins during Christmas holidays. On calm days which was most of the week, I set up my baby view camera on a tripot and waited for the light change. Hadn’t had any frostbite staying outdoors for up to two/three hours at a stretch. Of course, it helped to have a long cable release that I operated from inside the pocket of my anorak, ski cap, wool long johns and felt-lined insulated boots. Didn’t hurt either to return indoors and greeted with a large mug of hot rum-laced cocoa. 🙂

Shan
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 16, 2004
Cold here outside, wood stove crankin’, living room over 80º, huge dinner just eaten after a couple of G+Ts, now on the web looking at our favourite places in Costa Rica and Belize,,,,,,
Oh well, thats our climate, and thats why we have fun indoors when it is too darn cold to go out, so we get really good at PSE!
Jane
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 16, 2004
Shan

"visiting a classmate in his home town for a week in Timmins during Christmas holidays

I am told a week in winter near Timmins almost last a life time. While I have never spent a winter day in Timmins I have spent many summer days canoeing just to the south. It is a wonderful place except for the black flies and mosquitos. We go black fly season as they are much easier to control. Control is a relative thing as the black flies are huge. So large in fact that we tether our dogs so that they aren’t be carried off. Last year a friend of mine was up there during mosquito season (Jan 16 – Jan 14) and he aggravated a mosquito … the last we saw of him three mosquitoes were carring both he and his canoe off in the direction of North Tummins. You gota love Timmins!

Grant
R
Ray
Jan 16, 2004
Last minute news… ! WE ARE HAVING SNOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m usually well depressed (to the point of not even turning on the computer, that’s spell depressed) of the thought of seeing a real snowflake. But this time, that can only mean one thing :
WARMTH ! Temps are gonna get high for tomorrow morning. Well, high actually means -15C. That’s whooping +12C compared to last morning !

Still, at this temp, I’m gonna have my camera batteries boosted before I can use it. But, it’s a step in the right direction. After all, Spring is only 8 weeks away.. 😉

Ray
SK
Shan_Ko
Jan 16, 2004
Grant,

Now you got me spilled my single malt on my keyboard and mon with your "Timmins flies"! I heard about them from before and that’s why I turned down the invite in the summer, which was also my work time to make some money to help pay for college.

Going up north in winter was kind of rough. It took more than twelve hours to cover the nearly 350 miles from Toronto in a beat-up third hand Volkswagon beetle running with two retread snow tires at the rear. The experience was more like my trying to do the J-stroke going all over the place except where I was supposed to go in a canoe. Luckily a previous car owner had a duct piped in through the bottom part of the backseat, with an electric fan blowing hot air collected from the exhaust magnifold. Although I was warned to have the windows open a crack to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, I was grateful to keep from freezing even if it meant toasted buns. 🙂

Shan
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 16, 2004
Shan

If you had problems with your J-stroke it probably best you didn’t stay up north.

Yes … I also had a Volkswagen like that even with the heater going full blast I need an ice scraper for the inside of he windshield.

You mentioned college and Toronto so just out of curiosity did you go to Ryerson or George Brown or ….

g.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 16, 2004
No school today in all of Albany news viewing area….because it’s too cold !….I don’t remember ever getting a day off from school because it was too cold…and i went to school in Quebec !
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jan 16, 2004
Shan,

That reminds me of a little road trip I took back in college. I was studying in Oxford for a semester and like most of the UK we had the Easter weekend off. Someone in my group of friends had the bright idea to hitchhike up to Edinburgh, so we paired off one girl, one guy and started thumbing it. The first rig to stop for my partner and I was an ancient Land Rover driven by a couple of youngish Welsh fellows who were headed to Edinburgh for the weekend as well. This Land Rover had definitely seen better days. It was really loud, mostly rusted out, had no heat and there must have been more than one hole in the exhaust system because when we opened the door there was a definite bluish haze that wafted out.

Well we spent the next 9 hours or so (should’ve only taken about 6) bouncing along the motorways, nauseated from the exhaust fumes, on a homemade wooden bench seat bolted to the floor in the back of the Land Rover. As an additional bonus, the two very nice and friendly drivers of the Rover (they’d switch off about every hour) spoke English with a very thick Welsh accent. Other than the words “Edinburgh” and “Coppers” we really didn’t understand a word they said.

At about 9:00pm our gracious Welsh friends deposited us down town Edinburgh. Only slightly worse for wear (a really sore, splintered butt and a headache from the fumes) we took in the spender that is Edinburgh at night. IMO it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Well, out of the four couples that attempted the hitchhiking adventure, we were the only pair that made it, thanks to the Welsh! Being the Easter weekend, available beds/rooms where few and far between. We hadn’t thought to make reservations, but that’s another story.

Oh, and I met Alice Cooper, but that’s another story as well…

Joe
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jan 16, 2004
Jodi, kids around here are at their 3rd day off school because of the cold and for today, snow (south shore mainly). You just can’t ask them to wait for the bus or walk to school at these temperatures. Besides, every excuse is a good excuse to close the schools, believe me… 🙂

Ray
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 16, 2004
Raymond, Merde ! Tu pense ? Vous avez pas des petit monstre ! 😉
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 16, 2004
Jodi, que voulez-vous dire la merde ? J’ai pensé que vous avez le petit monstre deux !
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 16, 2004
Grant, how would you say your name in French anyways ? I can say ‘merde’…i have Quebecer rights !
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 16, 2004
I also know…<please excuse the spelling>:

Maudis d’enfant d’chienne !
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 16, 2004
…..my father swore in French…i know all the good ones. 😉
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jan 16, 2004
For those of us who don’t speak or understand French, here is OS X’s translation:

Jodi:

Raymond, Sh#t! You thinks? You do not have a small monster!

Grant:

Jodi, which do you want to say the sh#t? I thought that you have the small monster two!

Jodi:

Curse of child of bitch!

I cleaned it up a bit. 😉

Joe
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 16, 2004
Joe, so tell me…how could you !

dear forum people;

Please forgive my filthy mouth
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 16, 2004
…..it’s the french in me…
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jan 16, 2004
You guys are cracking me up! Keep the French comming. 🙂

Joe
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 16, 2004
No way !…. Not if you are going to translate it for everyone 😉
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 16, 2004
Boy, that was close, as I was just about to write some "substance chaude."

g.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 16, 2004
ya…all it takes is some ‘Joe’ to mess things up 😉
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jan 16, 2004
Ok fine! I won’t post translations. I’ll keep them to myself.

😉

Joe
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 16, 2004
Joe, forget it ! you can’t be trusted at this point 😉
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 16, 2004
Joe,

So where’s the translator?
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 16, 2004
Joe, I was only kidding with ya…hope you know that. Wasn’t sure.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jan 16, 2004
Mark,

It’s a Sherlock module.

Jodi,

I figured that. I’m just disappointed I won’t get to read any more colorful French language posts ;-).

Joe
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 16, 2004
I can see this place has been out of control all day….
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 17, 2004
Jodi, cabin fever time in the frozen northland, huh?
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 17, 2004
Chuck, the princess did not have school today because it was too cold….can you believe it ? My hub is also home…soooooo, this was a good place to ‘hide’ and be bad.
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 17, 2004
I can see this place has been out of control all day….

Yes, Chuck. Where have you been so help restore a little order here.

BTW, I haven’ seen Bob Hill around for quite some time. Could it be that we’ve been abandoned? To wreak havoc with no possibility of restraint?
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 17, 2004
Thanks Joe,

I never knew I had such a thing.

Here’s one for Leen.

Hello Leen,

Hoe doet u? Ik hoop u goed doet. Wenst u soms niet dat wij allen het Nederlands op dit forum spraken?

Apple also gives as a disclaimer that they are not responsible for the accuracy of this translation so if I’ve just insulted Leen they won’t cover for me.
SK
Shan_Ko
Jan 17, 2004
Grant,

Actually UT, for a couple of years. Loved that time in Toronto. Still do. Used to work three evenings a week 7 to 10 as a janitor and all of the summer and winter holidays too. It just wasn’t enough to pay for tuition and my keep. After that I picked up schooling again in another part of the world where part-time plus summer work paid just enough to sustain me for the rest of my architectural education. Those were good but pretty tough times. But when you are young, hardship could hardly get in your way to go after what you want. May be that’s why I turned out to be such a stubborn oldman. 😉

Shan
LK
Leen_Koper
Jan 17, 2004
As soon as I translate this "Dutch" text to english I understand what you mean 😉 No, it is rather good, to be true.
If I would convert this to real Dutch and re-translate to english it would be something like this:

How goes it with thou? I hope that it good with you goes. Would you find it fun when we all spoke Dutch on this forum.

The real fun begins when a word has several meanings. The chance this translation software picks the wrong word is almost 100%. Just try to translate a sentence from English to French, from French to Dutch and back to English…. 😉

Leen
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jan 17, 2004
Mark,

According to my translation, you just asked Leen to move to the next closest town and open a store that sells underwear. 😉

So here:

Zeer goed Teken, wist ik niet u het Nederlands sprak! Sprekend van Nederland, is het geweest te sinds lang ik heeft bezocht. I zeker kon voor Heineken gaan. Amsterdam is vrij een prachtige en mooie stad.

Joe
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 17, 2004
Joe you crack me up
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 17, 2004
Shan, with all due respect…..there is only one UT. That would be the University of Texas…!
🙂
Chuck
(with apologies to Tennesseans, Torontoans, and other T-groups)
J
jhjl1
Jan 17, 2004
If only you were a TIGER Chuck.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 17, 2004
Joe,

Ik heb een maar niet naar Holland gereist. De liefde van I’d om daar ooit te gaan. Het is op mijn lijst van te doen dingen. Ik zal een Heinekein hebben wanneer ik daar ben.

Leen,

Nu niet wordt het aardig om het Nederlands hier gesproken een weinig te zien?

Leen,

Now isn’t it nice to see a little Dutch spoken here? The rest of you don’t have the slightest idea what I’m saying. With the way these translators work Leen may not understand it either.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 17, 2004
wrote in message
Mark,

It’s a Sherlock module.

Jodi,

I figured that. I’m just disappointed I won’t get to read any more colorful French language posts ;-).

Joe
J
jhjl1
Jan 17, 2004
Chuck this was done just for U or is it UT.
http://www.pbase.com/image/25193284

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 17, 2004
wrote in message
Joe,

So where’s the translator?

You don’t need a Mac just try this site …. http://world.altavista.com/

g.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 17, 2004
University of Texas…? Never heard of it is that where Dubbya got his education.

g.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jan 17, 2004
Leen’s right about the translations of a translation. Doesn’t come out quite right but you get the meaning, hopefully.

If you think about it, it’s pretty amazing. A guy like me who tried but couldn’t learn a foreign language can sort of communicate with someone half way around the planet in that persons native tongue. Pretty cool. 🙂

Joe
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 17, 2004
Shan

Sorry I must have misread college for university. My daughter-in-law was offered a teaching post there but she chose York instead. I am not even sure if York was in Toronto when you were there. In any event you just confirm the reputation that only the best attend Uof T.

Grant
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 17, 2004
Dutch is conspicuously absent from Babel Fish…

Le Néerlandais est clairement absent des poissons de Babel.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 17, 2004
Back to french again ?

here’s some french I used in kindergarten to the teacher; I oublier mai running shoes….i still remember this…translated…’I forgot my running shoes’. I guess my englafrench wasn’t appreciated much back then. 😉
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jan 17, 2004
Dutch is conspicuously absent from Babel Fish…

Huh… That’s weird because Systran (Babel Fish) is what Sherlock uses in it’s translations. The must charge for more languages or something.

Joe
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jan 17, 2004
Where’s the swearing Jodi? I’m looking for colorful French. You never know when I guy might need to cuss En français.

Joe
DM
Dave_McElderry
Jan 17, 2004
Google has a similar tool available, although I’ve never used it myself:

<http://www.google.com/language_tools>
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 17, 2004
OUCH… my sides hurt!!

At that same URL, Google allows you to select which language Google should display in.

One of the choices is "Elmer Fudd"…. ouch… HAHAHAA!!!

They also have Pig Latin, and other "languages"

LOL
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 17, 2004
hum, you mean colourful ? sorry Joe, my tongue is lost for words at the moment. …did you really think i was going to continue using that filthy language now that I know you have a translator ? 🙂
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jan 17, 2004
Please? 😉
SS
Susan_S.
Jan 17, 2004
I’m proud to say that despite not having doen any French since I was 16, I could still understand all the crude parts (and most of the rest) without needing to resort to a translator!
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 17, 2004
Susan…I’m sorry…I’m not a filthy tongued french bitch…really i’m not….it was a moment of cabin fever in the brain.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 17, 2004
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 17, 2004
Sorry Byron you beat me too it … and yes it is tooooooo funny
J
john
Jan 17, 2004
MY ALL-TIME FAVOURITE TRANSLATION STORY…

The following are extracts from an interview with Madonna by the Hungarian magazine Blikk. The questions to Madonna were asked in Hungarian and then translated into English. Madonna’s responses were then translated into Hungarian. The interview was then published in Hungarian and, finally, translated back into English. Time Magazine states, "to say that something was lost in the process is to be wildly ungrateful for all that was gained"

BLIKK: Madonna, Budapest says hello with arms that are spread-eagled. Did you have a visit here that was agreeable? Are you in good odor? You are the biggest fan of our young people who hear your musical productions and like to move their bodies in response.

MADONNA: Thank you for saying these compliments (holds up hands). Please stop with taking sensationalist photographs until I have removed my garments for all to see. (laughs). This is a joke I have made.

BLIKK: Madonna, let’s cut to toward the hunt. Are you a bold hussy-woman that feasts on men who are tops?

MADONNA: Yes, yes, this is certainly something that brings to the surface my longings. In America it is not considered to be mentally ill when a woman advances on her prey in a discotheque setting with hardy cocktails present. And there is a more normal attitude toward leather play-toys that also makes my day.

BLIKK: Us this how you met Carlos, your love servant who is reputed? Did you know he was heaven-sent right off the stick? Or were you dating many other people in your bed at the same time?

MADONNA: No, he was the only one I was dating in my bed then, so it is a scientific fact that the baby was made in my womb using him. But as regards those questions, enough! I am a woman and not a test-mouse! Carlos is and everyday person who is in the orbit of a star who is being muscle-trained by him not a sex machine.

BLIKK: May we talk about your other "baby", your movie, then? Please do not be denying that the similarities between you and the real Evita are grounded in basis. Power, money, tasty-food, Grammys-all these elements are afoot.

MADONNA: What is up in the air with you? Evita never was winning a Grammy!

BLIKK: Perhaps not. But as to your film, in trying to bring your reputation along a rocky road, can you make people forget the bad explosions of Who’s That Girl? and Shanghai Surprise?

MADONNA: I am a tip-top starlet. That is the job that I am paid to do.

BLIKK: O.K. here’s a question from left space. What was your book Slut about?

MADONNA: It was called Sex, my book.

BLIKK: Not in Hungary. Here it was called Slut. How did it come to publish? Were you lovemaking with a an-about-town printer? Do you prefer making suggestive literature to fast selling CDs?

MADONNA: These are different facets to my career highway. I am preferring only to become respected all over the map as a 100% artist.

BLIKK: There is much interest in you from this geographical region, so I must ask this final questions. How many Hungarian men have you dated in bed? Are they No. 1? How are they comparing to Argentine men, who are famous for being tip-top as well?

MADONNA: Well, to avoid aggravating global tension, I won’t say. It’s a tie (laughs). No, no, I am serious now. See here I am working like a canine all the way around the clock! I am too busy even to try the goulash the makes your country for the record books.

BLIKK: Thank you for your candid chitchat

MADONNA: No problem, friend who is a girl
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 17, 2004
OUch… ouch… HAHAHAH!!!! OUCh…
R
Ray
Jan 17, 2004
Jodi, I was hoping you’d remember something other than the colourfull words in French.. 🙂

For those using BabelFish’s tool to translate in French, let me tell you : it is horrible. You’re better off looking in a dictionnary then to use this tool.

Ray
P.S. Don’t count on me to show you some colourfull French language words guys, even though I would probably be considered the expert on that matter around here 🙂
S
Stanley
Jan 17, 2004
My wife was born in Portugal. I do not speak the language, other than a few "choice words" that I use now and then. She always reminds me, don’t say that in front of my mother. Grin
Stan

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:41:55 -0800,
wrote:

Where’s the swearing Jodi? I’m looking for colorful French. You never know when I guy might need to cuss En français.

Joe
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 17, 2004
Don’t count on me to show you some colourfull French language words guys, even though I would probably be considered the expert on that matter around here

I’m sorry to hear that. I might be able to use a few colorful, colourful, expressions the next time I’m in a French speaking country.
LK
Leen_Koper
Jan 17, 2004
I’ve got a serious complaint about this forum. 😉
To be sure you all will understand properly, I used a Babel Fish translation from German to English.

Why does their fun make as I mostly sleeps? Normally I lie at this time in bed and only then go it loss. Gesternabend am I to two up-remained and only then began those fun.

Leen
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 17, 2004
Yes Leen the sleeping worm will gain no moss.

g.
JD
Juergen_D
Jan 17, 2004
Leen,

Du must deine Tageszeit auf Eastern Time umstellen. But you still may miss out on some of the fun because it often doesn’t start until real late… 🙂

Juergen
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jan 17, 2004
Why does their fun make as I mostly sleeps? Normally I lie at this time in bed and only then go it loss. Gesternabend am I to two up-remained and only then began those fun.

I totally agree, Leen.

Joe
R
Ray
Jan 17, 2004
My French: Mark, si tu le souhaites, je pourrais t’envoyer quelques expressions françaises. Gardes
à l’esprit, cependant, que le français parlé au Canada est assez différent de celui parlé en France
ou à travers l’Europe.

Babel’s English: Mark, if you wishes it, I could send some French expressions to you. Guards with the spirit, however, that French spoken in Canada is rather different from that spoken in France or through Europe.

My English: Mark, if you wish it, I could post you a few French expressions. Keep that in mind, though, that French spoken here in Canada is quite different than the one spoken in France or Europe
in general.

That one was easy… let’s complicate things a little…

French : Putain de bordel de merde, il n’y a rien qui marche ce matin! Je suis en retard dans tous mes projets! Et ce sapristi d’ordinateur à la con ne coopère pas une minute. Il se fera remplacer
pour un iMac avant longtemps, je te l’assure !

Babel’s English (or… en-glitch ?) : Whore of bloody hell, it has there nothing which goes this morning! I am late in all my projects! And this sapristi of computer to the idiot does not cooperate
a minute. He will be made replace for a iMac before a long time, I ensure it to you!

My English : Mo.. f…, there’s nothing working this morning! I’m late in all my projects! And this da.. stupid computer doesn’t cooperate a second. It’ll get replaced by an iMac before long, this I tell you!.

That one was more colourful (colorful ?)…

Translation softwares aren’t quite capable of capturing the spirit of words. They merely translate basic expressions, but even then, they add their own.. 🙂

Ray
R
Ray
Jan 17, 2004
Leen,

Ouch…!

Now, for me it’s German to English, English to French (in my mind..) I’m telling you, I haven’t understood a word of what you said…

Ray
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Jan 17, 2004
Whore of bloody hell,

Note to self: add this to Repertoire.
SK
Shan_Ko
Jan 18, 2004
Grant,

York was just starting out I guess. Ryerson was going pretty strong already. U of T couldn’t possibly be just for the "best", because a run of the mill such as myself took honors for two years. Too bad funding was such a problem.

Toronto had been and still is a beautiful city. I missed the old Purple Onion folksinging club, the nice Hungarian Village eatery that served inexpensive but good and filling food, and all the funky haunts just north of Bloor and east of College. Those landmarks of my mind were gone when I revisted Tornto fifteen years ago after a long absence.

Shan
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 18, 2004
Shan

Too bad you were not Canadian at the time as funding would not have been all that much of a problem. York University is now one of the largest and a most respected of Canadian Universities. Ryerson is still there and still good but seems to have been taking a very low key role in education lately.

Oh my, the Purple Onion has long passed into the acrid cannabis smoke of history. In fact the whole area of Yorkville has changed into a very upscale boutique ghetto that cater to the money crowd. For the life of me I can’t even picture what is just north of Bloor and east of College, so I guess it is not a player any more. There are new landmarks to replace these so it is time to revisit Toronto the Good. 😉

g
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 18, 2004
Grant, the Purple Onion…..that brings back memories of another time for me, also – but the Purple Onion in question was a legendary cabaret in New York’s Greenwich Village. I saw Thelonious Monk perform there in the early 70’s….he was certainly past his prime at that point. I note in my search that there are/were also Purple Onion clubs in San Francisco and Vancouver.

Chuck
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 18, 2004
the Purple Onion…..

Hay man .. can you dig it … hippy franchising.

g.
DH
Dave Hamer
Jan 18, 2004
Grant,

Is Grossmans Tavern and the Victory Burlesque still there?

Dave
LK
Leen_Koper
Jan 18, 2004
Chuck, I envy you. Once I bought tickets for a Monk concert in Amsterdam, but unfortunately that day I had the flue.
I was so fortunate to know the organiser of this concert and a friend of mine changed the tickets for tickets for an Ornette Coleman concert a few monts later. This happened to be one of the best concerts I ever attended.

Leen

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections