CS Browser problem, losing flagged images–ideas?

DB
Posted By
Dave_Babcock
Jul 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
the fellow I work with has been having this problem on his powerbook. He goes through a photo job and flags certain images (best shots), and the next day, when he opens PS, his flagged shots are no longer flagged, requiring him to do his editing job twice.

I personally don’t have the problem, but I do make sure that I hit the "refresh" option under "view" when I do the same thing on my machine. The obvious way to avoid this problem is to "rename" the files to another folder ("best NEFs" sort of thing) but am curious to why he is losing his flagged shots the next day and wondering if anyone out there has the definitive reason why this happens.

thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BF
Bruce_Fraser
Jul 26, 2004
Something (possibly a Permissions issue) is preventing Photoshop from updating the FB cache correctly.

A workaround is, once the flags are showing correctly, Export the cache. This creates a static copy (i.e., it only gets updated if you Export Cache again) in the local folder.

Then, if the flags are lost next time FB sees the folder, Purge Cache purges the live cache and forces Photoshop to read the static copy.

But the real fix is to find out why the cache isn’t being updated correctly. The cache files live in

Users/username/Library/Application Support/Adobe/File Browser/PhotoshopCS
DB
Dave_Babcock
Jul 28, 2004
thanks Bruce for the ideas, as you say, the real crux of the matter is why it is losing the info.

This morning, my colleague did some digging and saw that in the prefs for the browser, a couple of boxes weren’t checked off, specifically the last two, about metadata and keeping sidecar files with master files. He is francophone and so english tech stuff is always clear–nor to us english speakers at times!

In a quick test this appears to have solved it. We’ll see in the next few days if it is a consistent fix.

thanks again for the input and the export cache idea.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections