Posted By
Xeon
Jan 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi guys!
I’ve a weird problem with my image in PhotoShop.

If you’ve PhotoShop 7.0(or above) and a fast Internet connection(either 256 Kbps or Cable etc.), do visit :

<http://www.sheencal.com/Test.zip>

1) Download and unzip the pants of the file(8.51 MB)
2) Open up the Test.psd in PhotoShop and zoom it to 12.5% or 25%.
3) Notice that the image is brownish color. Good.
3) Zoom the image to 100%.(nothing less, nothing more : exactly 100%)

Notice that all the colors have gone! It’s all black and white! What the **** is happening?! (it doesn’t matter if the image is in RGB or CMYK mode, cos’ the problem still persists no matter what)

Someone please gimme some guidance and light! Thanks! 🙂

Good luck! 🙂
Xeon.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 21, 2004
You should only evaluate an image at 100%, everything else is an approximation. Watch the color change as you shrink it’s mag – you’ll see an anomaly of interpolation in that the color will appear to change before your eyes. It’s not changing, just the "guess" that photoshop does at mags other than 100% is producing the anomaly.

My hunch is this. You have a pattern that is black and white only and you are using an Overlay blend mode for the color – the pattern is alternates every other pixel. There isn’t enough room for your color to show through at 100% mag.

Change the pattern scaling; change the blend mode of the color; watch what happens.

Personally, I think your pattern is at fault. It should probably be black and transparent, instead of black and white. Then your base color (gray) will show through.

Peace,
Tony
L
LenHewitt
Jan 21, 2004
Actually, Tony, It’s more interesting than that….

You can delete the background layer (which is just transparent anyway), and it isn’t a blending mode thing…..

What it is due to is the line frequency compared to the pitch of the monitor screen. Remember, a monitor can only display individual dots or Red, Green or Blue. ‘Neutrals’ are created by even mixes of those three. However, if the frequency of the lines is such that it is so fine it can’t ‘match’ all three phospurs, then colour casts will appear….

Theoretically the pattern should look different on monitors with different pitches, and possible also if comparing a shadow mask monitor, an LCD monitor etc.
Y
YrbkMgr
Jan 22, 2004
Now that IS interesting Len. I never would have thought of that. Thanks!
JS
John_Slate
Jan 22, 2004
Whatever pattern there is sure does not translate back to v5.

All I get is 2 layers: an oval of flat tone, neutral gray 55/45/45/11 with a touch of noise, and a white background layer.

Len:

I am guessing that there is a black and white pattern. Doesn’t the display software downsample the file pixels to an average for less than 100% display? If so, then how does a brown color get pixel averaged out of all neutrals?

When I create a bivel bitmap out of 50% black with a line halftone screen to produce alternating black and white stripes (and then convert back to grayscale), I get some bizarro moire’s at some magnifications but all of the displays remain neutral.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections