GS
Posted By
Gary_Something
Jan 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just upgraded from Elements 1.0 to 2.0 and now some of my PSD files show up all black in my File-Open menu. This only happens when I open a PSD file that I created with 1.0 and then modified with 2.0. If I create a PSD file with 2.0, the preview works fine. The same symptoms occurs if I view the previews with MS Explorer.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NS
Nancy_S
Jan 3, 2004
Gary,

In Preferences, do you have the Maximize Compatibility thingy checked?
GS
Gary_Something
Jan 3, 2004
To Nancy S,
Thanks for the quick reponse, I did check and the Maximize Compatibility is checked. Any other ideas??
Thanks, Gary
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 4, 2004
Gary,

Try deleting your preferences file, it may solve the problem.

Hold down simultaneously, Alt/shift/Ctrl and launch PSE. When you get the dialog box, answer yes and let it load. If you don’t get the dialog, let it load and try again.
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 4, 2004
I believe the preview is done by Explorer, and I suspect that Explorer can’s figure out layered files . Might play around with this and see, but I think Tif’s act the same way, if compressed or layered.

😕

Brent
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 4, 2004
a real looong shot…

do you have the diplay color set to 24 or 32 bit and screen resolution to 1024×768?
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 4, 2004
I was just playing with possibilites, and I noticed that Explorer has the same behavior with compressed TIF files . I’d guess this isn’t an Elements issue , but an issue of just what format files Windows Explorer can preview.

🙂

Brent
GS
Gary_Something
Jan 5, 2004
To Nancy S.
Thanks for your response, My color display and screen resolution are now set as you said but it didn’t help my problem. I did notice something interesting, when I use "file Browse" to open my files I do not have the problem!!! I’m not having any luck with the "deleting my preferences file" procedure, (I get no dialog box to answer "yes" but I’ll keep trying).
Thanks, Gary
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 5, 2004
Gary,

At least you have found a workaround for this.

Have you done computer housekeeping lately? Delete Temp Internet files, delete Windows Temp files, empty recycle bin, defrag?

Try having your fingers poised over ctrl/alt/shift, click the PSE icon and IMMEDiately press those three keys down and hold until you see the dialog box.

edit—I don’t believe you cited your OS nor gave any computer specs, which is always a good thing to include in a post. Have you checked for any updates to your video driver?
GS
Gary_Something
Jan 6, 2004
To Nancy S,
Just noticed that a PSD file created on Elements 2.0 also turned up all black on the File Memu! Here’s what I’ve done so far;(as you suggested)
1.deleted preference file
2.maximize compatibilty checked
3.set color display at 32 bit and screen resoltion at 1024 x 768
4.deleted temp internet files, and empty deleted items from Outlook Express
5.defrag disc
6.deleted windows temp file and empty recycle bin
Not sure what info you need on my OS other than I have Windows XP Home ed. (5.1, I believe),on a Dell PC Pentium 4, @ 1.6 GHz and 640 MB of RAM. I should mention that I’m fairly new to all this PC stuff. Luckly, I have a brother who is not. Any other ideas, I’m getting rather frustrated, wishing I had kept my old Elements 1.0. Thanks, Gary
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 6, 2004
Gary,

Oh, this is indeed a frustrating situation for you.

Are you using IE6 and is it setup as your default browser?
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 6, 2004
And, look in your system to see what video card you have and check the manufacturers website to see if they have a newer set of drivers for your card.

Right click on System in the Control Panel, click Device Manager, look at Diplay Adapters Properties and the Driver Tab. Note the version and check for newer drivers online.
GS
Gary_Something
Jan 13, 2004
To Nancy S
Some interesting things cropped up, I scanned a new photo using Elements 2.0 (so that Elments 1.0 has nothing to do with it) and added a couple of layers with some text and saved it as PSD file. When I hit File-Open the image was all black, just as the others were. This tells me that Elements 1.0 had nothing to do with it.
I made a CD-R of my blacked out images (from windows explorer) and gave it to my brother to check out on his PC. He told me that he has the same problem. He then put the CD in another PC with Windows XP-Professional Ed., with the same results. Another thing I tried, saving the multiple layer image as a TIFF file and no problem.
Keep in mind I never had a problem with this on Elements 1.0, only on 2.0 Thanks, Gary

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections