Posted By
Pamela_Hoffman
Dec 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Exact Message:

"The procedure entry point SMapLS_IP_EBP_20 could not locate the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll". Just installed Windows XP, downloaded Service Pack from Microsoft and all other downloads they recommended. Searched for this message on this forum and found info that I’m sorry doesn’t help me. Searched Adobe knowledge base and tried it all, still the problem exists ONLY in Photoshop Elements…Extremely frustrated enough to switch to another product. Deleted Adobe everywhere and from the registry, still no success. Downloaded new drivers? Tried safe install. Can anyone help please?

Thank you.

P. Hoffman

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 28, 2003
I personally can’t help but can suggest that a Google Search might yield better results than a forum search on this topic.
R
Ray
Dec 28, 2003
I did that but could not come up with something meaningfull. I found something about Windows 95, some other stuff about assembly language. Nothing easy.

Ray
EW
Ed_Wurster
Dec 28, 2003
wrote…
Exact Message:

"The procedure entry point SMapLS_IP_EBP_20 could not locate the dynamic
link library KERNEL32.dll". Just installed Windows XP, downloaded Service Pack from Microsoft and all other downloads they recommended. Searched for this message on this forum and found info that I’m sorry doesn’t help me. Searched Adobe knowledge base and tried it all, still the problem exists ONLY in Photoshop Elements…Extremely frustrated enough to switch to another product. Deleted Adobe everywhere and from the registry, still no success. Downloaded new drivers? Tried safe install. Can anyone help please?

I found one reference to the error in google groups. Search for "SMapLS_IP_EBP_20 adobe" and try to narrow things down from there.

Ed
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 28, 2003
I got this from an Elements forum search. It was posted on Sep 2, 2003. See if there’s anything applicable:

"Topic

Entry point ThunkConnect Kernel32.dll ERROR

Richard Coencas – 02:39pm Sep 2, 2003 Pacific (#4 of 9)

Did you have any antivirus software running during install? Could also be a hardware conflict. Try unintsalling completely, including Adobe Photoshop Elements folders left behind by the uninstaller and then install in Safe Mode."

Rich is an Adobe employee who tries to monitor the forum frequently, so his suggestions are usually on target.

The original poster of this thread never reported back, so we have no way of knowing what the outcome was.

I also seem to remember an error message coming up on some installations when something like a Wacom tablet was already installed, but I can’t remember what that error message was/is. If you have that or something similar, that could be causing a conflict, too.

Had you disabled any antivirus software before doing the install? That’s recommended before installing any software, and Norton products in particular have been known to cause incompatibilities with Adobe products unless they’re disabled.

Please report back and let us know what you tried and whether it worked. This forum can be a much better resource when we get feedback! 🙂
EW
Ed_Wurster
Dec 28, 2003
After reading through some adobe.photoshop archives, I would do a clean install of Windows. This is a guess, but I’m reading between the lines of the original message, and assuming there was an upgrade TO Windows XP.

Ed
R
ryeish
Dec 28, 2003
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 07:16:59 -0800,
wrote:

Exact Message:

"The procedure entry point SMapLS_IP_EBP_20 could not locate the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll". Just installed Windows XP, downloaded Service Pack from Microsoft and all other downloads they recommended. Searched for this message on this forum and found info that I’m sorry doesn’t help me. Searched Adobe knowledge base and tried it all, still the problem exists ONLY in Photoshop Elements…Extremely frustrated enough to switch to another product. Deleted Adobe everywhere and from the registry, still no success. Downloaded new drivers? Tried safe install. Can anyone help please?

Thank you.

P. Hoffman

What version DirectX? Reinstall it.
JS
John_Strpko
May 22, 2004
I have just had the exact problem with Photoshop and Illustrator and found that it was my Aiptek tablet that was causing it. The driver needs to be removed and reinstalled. While researching this I found that many of the Aiptek products (including their cameras) cause similar problems if not reinstalled after upgrading to XP. I truly hope that someone finds this information useful, and can avoid wasting as much time as I did trying to resolve it. – john
CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 22, 2004
John, thanks for sharing your learnings here. It’ll surely help someone down the road…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections