RB
Posted By
Robert_Blayden
May 23, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I open the editor I get a message that it cannot find LTKRN60N.dll. The editor then reloads and I can use the editor. After a while the screen freezes and I have to end the program.

I have search the WEB for this file but it’s not listed.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CW
Colin Walls
May 23, 2005
Has this just started or is this straight from the install? Assuming it’s never worked, did you disable virus protection during install?
BH
Beth_Haney
May 23, 2005
I always hate to be a smart aleck, but did you find this?

<http://forum.worldstart.com/archive/index.php/t-24381.html>

This applies to PSE 3.0, but the path should be the same for PSE 2.0. There are places to download free .dll files on the internet, however, since I’m a Mac user, I don’t have a particular one I could recommend.

Usually I can come up with better clues about these files, but this one seems to have something to do with creating/converting to HTML. (According to a page for Girl Scouts!)
RB
Robert_Blayden
May 23, 2005
Yes this started from a new installation. I have installed with and W/O virus protection. Forgot the first time. I have downloaded enditall I’m going to try installation again. Just waiting for a few replies from this forum.
RB
Robert_Blayden
May 23, 2005
I saw the girlscout WEB page but missed any reference to my dll file. I will look again. I wonder where Bob found the dll file?
BH
Beth_Haney
May 23, 2005
I think I just copied that Girl Scout link again, and you could download the file from there. Or, at least when I clicked on the .dll file with the same name as in your post, it started to download something. I interrupted it, since it would be wasted on my Mac, but it seems to be right there for the taking! You do have to scroll down a way on the page.

<http://www.scoutsoftware.com/downloads.htm>
N
narya
May 24, 2005
Please excuse me, but doesn’t it strike you as odd, when a clean installation of an Adobe program requires you to download dll files from (dubious?) sites on the internet in order to work properly?

I don’t have any "LTKRN60N.dll" file on my system and PSE 3 works just fine … or am I missing the point here? What’s that file good for anyway? (And what have Girl Scouts got to do with this?)

Rather confused,

Alexander.

Canon Ixus 430 (aka S410) | x86 with XP Pro | PSE v3.0.1 with 3k images | 12" Powerbook soon 🙂
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 24, 2005
Alexander,

The site Scoutsoftware … is a Girl Scouts site 🙂 … not kidding it really is !! 🙂

Wendy
N
narya
May 24, 2005
Well, I do know what girl (or boy) scouts are – but what they have to do with Photoshop Elements’ error messages is what puzzles me.

Alexander
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 24, 2005
Alexander,

I just searched my entire C drive and, like you, have no LTKRN60N.dll on the system and PE3 works like a charm.

A further search for ltk*.dll came up with ltkr70n, ltkr90n, ltkr12n (twice) and ltkr13n. None are in c:\Windows. 70 is in Quicken2000. The rest are all in Program Files for graphics applications other than PE. They all have the company name "LEAD Technologies, Inc." and the Product Name "LEADTOOLS(r)DLL for Win32".

Why would our PE3 installations and executions make no reference to a dll that another installation needs? Version 3.0 vs 3.0.1?

Bob
BH
Beth_Haney
May 24, 2005
Alexander, since I don’t speak Windows fluently, I can’t give you a very good explanation, but .dll files aren’t actually part of the Elements installation itself. They’re "dynamic link libraries", and I guess they’re in charge of making "links" (!) between one application and another. I hadn’t heard of this particular .dll file before, but a search of the forum will show a number of posts where people have gotten similar error messages about missing .dll files. We’ve been able to come up with more specific information about some of them. From what little I could find on this particular .dll file, it looks like it might be instrumental in accessing maybe a browser from within Elements?

On the one hand, I wish I understood it so I could better explain it. On the other hand, I’m glad I use a Mac and don’t have to worry about it! 🙂
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 24, 2005
Beth …

You now sound pretty fluent in windows to me 🙂

Wendy
BH
Beth_Haney
May 24, 2005
Sick, huh? 🙂 And most of what I learned, I got right here from the Elements forum!
N
narya
May 24, 2005
They’re "dynamic link libraries", and I guess they’re in charge of making "links" (!) between one application and another.

Not quite. The emphasis is on dynamic instead of static link library. It means that (otherwise unrelated) applications can share the code of a dll (thus saving valuable RAM space).

All libraries needed by an application will either be provided by Windows itself or the application will install them. A program requiring a dll to be installed (or downloaded) from some third party would be highly suspicious (virus, trojan horse or other malware).

On the other hand, I’m glad I use a Mac and don’t have to worry about it!

Then lets hope not too many get inspired by the switch campaign! When Apples market share figures start rising, so will the ambition of malware authors … 😉

Alexander.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 24, 2005
Alexander ….

Have you go yours yet? 🙂

Wendy
BH
Beth_Haney
May 24, 2005
See? I told you I only knew enough to be dangerous! 🙂

I did do a forum search and turned up pages and pages of links with reference to missing .dll files. iacore.dll (close spelling but may not be exact) is one that pops up quite a bit, and there were three or four more. Someone hypothesized that shared .dll files might have been accidentally deleted while trying to uninstall some other piece of software, and that caused the file to be missing from the system when Elements tried to access it. Maybe or maybe not. I do know there are other reasons for having to download .dll files that aren’t related to bad things. However… I’m still glad I don’t have to worry about it for myself.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 24, 2005
Beth …

…. me too 🙂 🙂

Wendy
N
narya
May 24, 2005
Have you got yours yet?

Nah, but I’m expecting it to arrive every day now … <grind>

Someone hypothesized that shared .dll files might have been accidentally deleted while trying to uninstall some other piece of software,

In that case a reinstall of PSE should fix it. If a dll isn’t reinstalled by PSE, it’s not one that’s needed …

I can only guess now, but I think there might be some other software involved that’s trying to "hook" into PSE somehow, but is failing …

Uninstalling PSE, cleaning up the program folders and registry, followed by a fresh install should solve such problems.

Alexander.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections