RA
Posted By
Richard_a_Ward
Jul 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a folder on my desktop that I can not get rid of. Amy 5 was created to temporarily hold some images while editing. As far as I know I trashed it properly but the icon still shows up when I restart.

When I try to drag it to the trash I get an "error code 9" and "can not complete……"

I have heard of a force-to-trash method but I do not know where to find out info on how to do this. I want to get rid of the folder as I am done with it and it won’t open anyway.

Thanks in advance

Richard

OS 10.4.3 ( or whatever the current X is) G4

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

G
graffiti
Jul 7, 2004
Try the following
in terminal type: "sudo rm -rf " (note there is a space after -rf) Do not hit return
Drag the folder to the terminal
hit return
type in your password
RA
Richard_a_Ward
Jul 7, 2004
Thanks for your reply..

When I click on it to drag it… the darn thing disappears..

But sure enough the next time I reboot… it is there again.

I have a right click mouse so I tried to right click "move to" but it just goes away until I reboot again…

any other thoughts ?

thanks in advance ..
KU
ken_upham
Jul 7, 2004
rebuild the desktop?
G
graffiti
Jul 7, 2004
Hmm. I’m not familiar with that particular error.

Have you tried running "Repair Disk Permissions" from First Aid? That would be the next step. You could also try booting from OS 9.x (if you’re able to), finding the file and trashing it from there.

If that doesn’t work either, you may head over to the Apple User to User Forum <http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@@.599b31ad> and ask there since it’s not a Photoshop problem.
RA
Richard_a_Ward
Jul 8, 2004
I rebuilt the desktop and repaired permissions… Twice.

No OS 9

You are right it is not a Photoshop question but it happened using Photoshop so I thought to come here. Thanks all for the help.. I will keep looking elsewhere
G
graffiti
Jul 8, 2004
I will keep looking elsewhere

Be sure and follow the link I posted to Apple. You’ll more than likely have an answer right away if you do. If you would, let me know what it is when you find out.
B
Buko
Jul 8, 2004
Have tried re-prebinding??

you can do this with Cocktail which you can find at versiontracker.com
RA
Richard_a_Ward
Jul 9, 2004
OK.. Thanks for all the advice.

I bought Cocktail ran everything including re-prebinding, tried terminal, rebuilt my desktop, repaired permissions…..

Just wanted to say that the sucker is still there..

If I find a solution I will post it

thanks
R
Ram
Jul 9, 2004
Richard,

See if there’s anything in your Dock or in the startup items that may be generating aliases of that folder.

Try renaming the folder and putting it inside another folder not on the Desktop but, say, inside your documents folder, then trash both folders.

Another thin to try is (as per the above paragraph) renaming the folder and putting it inside another folder not on the Desktop but, say, inside your documents folder, and then trying to put yet another newly created folder with the same name you gave the trouble making folder, and clicking yes when asked whether you want to replace it.

If your machine can boot into straight 9.x (not Classic) you should not have any trouble deleting a folder from there.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 9, 2004
Control-click on the errant folder and choose "Get Info". (or select the icon and Cmd. i)
You will then be able to see where the folder is stored, if it’s locked and who "owns" it.
RA
Richard_a_Ward
Jul 9, 2004
When I control click on the desktop icon the info box flashes for a quarter second then the info box and icon disappear (of course the icon returns later)

When I try to click and drag the folder I get the following message:

"Sorry but the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code 9)"

I should mention that on the desktop it appears only as a name. I do not see the icon "folder shape" until I click on it.

I tried a plug-in called "Force delete" but because the folder can not be selected the force delete will not work..

The ghost icon does not seem to be limiting functions… Its just a nuisance..

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections