RA
Posted By
Ralph_A._Sadler
Dec 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
First let me say that I do not currently have PSE2 installed. I apologize for bothering you, but I hope you’ll help me anyway 8)

Early this year I bought and installed PSE2. The istallation seemed to go without a hitch, but when I tried to use one of the PSE2 desktop icons, I got a cryptic error message instead of the HTM/HTML file I wanted. I looked under the Program Files for the software, located the file and double clicked it; the file opened. I can’t be certain, but I have a suspicion that the problem was caused because I was/am using AOL.

When I tried to send a message to Adobe to ask for help I spent quite a long time composing the message, but when I submitted it, the site reported that their message facility was down. By this time I was very frustrated, so I uninstalled the software and returned it.

Some months later I searched this forum for posts from other buyers who experienced the same problem. I found only one, and there were no responses that fixed the OP’s problem.

I would very much like to use PSE2, but I can’t get rid of AOL to do so. Can anyone help me? TIA

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
BobHill
Dec 20, 2003
Ralph,

The only trouble that AOL should give you is with Adobe Online (which can be turned off in Edit/Preferences) and the HELP and Tutoring options, which can be cured by using full Internet Explorer for association with HTML files. AOL uses an edited version of HTML that doesn’t work in Elements. Using full MSIE (free) WILL NOT hurt your AOL usage otherwise.

Bob
RA
Ralph_A._Sadler
Dec 20, 2003
Thank you for your response, Bob. Please bear with me while I check whether I understand you properly:

Re: Adobe Online – I can go to Edit/Preferences in Elements and "turn off" Adobe Online? I think you mean disable calls to that site either initiated by me or by Elements on my behalf. Could you expand on that just a little? Also, could I get the same services from Adobe by manually entering Adobe Online’s URL and accessing the site via my browser?

Re: "using full Internet Explorer for association with HTML files" – Does it suffice to have the IE available on the XP desktop active or is something else necessary to establish the "association" with the HTMLs for Help and Tutorials? I’m sorry to be such a dunce!

I suppose I could download the trial version of Elements but with a 56 KB connection and crummy phone lines, that’s easier said than done. The dealer who allowed me to return the software once isn’t likely to be that charitable a second time, so I’m trying hard to prevent that possibility. Thanks again for your help and if you’d be kind enough to answer these further questions it would be most helpful.

Ralph
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 20, 2003
Ralph, re: Adobe Online. If you go to Edit>Preferences>Adobe Online, there’s an area where you can choose how frequently the software automatically accesses the update site. I think almost all of us have that set to Never. If you want to check manually for updates (and there aren’t any, by the way) you can go to Help>Updates, and it will log on just once to check. I’d recommend not even bothering! 🙂

Re: the Help files and Tutorials. XP has a plain vanilla version of Internet Explorer loaded, even though you’re using AOL as your browser. IE can be set as your default web browser without interfering with your AOL, but it will still let you access those Adobe HTML files. Here’s the path:

Start>Control Panels>Network & Internet Connections, then you might have to either expand the window or scroll down below an area marked "Pick a Control Panel Option" and choose Internet Options. Pick the Programs tab on the next screen that comes up. There is a box at the bottom of that window that says "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser." Make sure there’s a check mark in the box to the left of that statement and click OK. (AOL may have overridden that.)

You won’t have any trouble resetting the Adobe Online piece, but if you have trouble getting the default browser changed, there’s another way to access Help and Tutorials by creating a desktop shortcut icon. I don’t remember how to do that offhand, but after I post this I’ll see if I can find instructions Nancy has posted. If I’m successful I’ll add it. Or maybe somebody else will come to our rescue!

There’s absolutely no reason why Elements should not run like a charm for you. Heck, even I’ve put it on a Win XP machine and used it, and I run Macs! 🙂 We just need to get you past AOL.

Edit: I found it!

"I found a very workable solution by following the advice of Rich C (whom we fondly call "the Adobe Guy" because he does indeed work for them). Creating a shortcut to the help files is what Beth refers to. I did this by using Explorer to open the PSE help folder. All the pages of the folder are displayed on the right hand side. Now just drag the icon for a page (any page at all) down to the Quick Launch area on your task bar. When you click on the QL icon, the help file page opens. On this page you can click on Search or click on Index to find what you are looking for. This is a slick workaround.
Let us know if this works out for you.
Nancy"
RA
Ralph_A._Sadler
Dec 21, 2003
Many thanks for going to so much trouble to help,Beth. As we used to say when I was a kid in Pittsburgh: youse is a nice goil!

I think I have enough information now to have a better than even chance to install Elements and live with the shortcomings that using AOL occasions. Nothing else I’ve tried, including cable and other dial-up services, has provided an answer either, so I’m stuck for the moment.

I’m a little surprised by the HTML problem with the Elements installation. I’ve never experienced anything like it in the installation of quite a bit of software. Possibly Adobe doesn’t go as far as some companies to accommodate AOL deviations from the norm.

Again, I appreciate your efforts and those of Bob, Nancy and Rich C.

Ralph
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 21, 2003
Good luck, Ralph. I’d say your chances of success are even better than even; quite a few people do use both Elements and AOL successfully. As to the fact Adobe HTML files aren’t compatible with APO – I can’t speculate. Problems like this are becoming more prevalent now, though. People who use CompuServe and the new Yahoo browsers have to change settings, too. ???
LG
Lorace_Graham
Dec 21, 2003
Ralph, you asked: Also, could I get the same services from Adobe by manually entering Adobe Online’s URL and accessing the site via my browser?

The answer is yes. I use both AOL’s browser and IE’s browser to access the Adobe sites and never have any problem.

I have the MSIE icon on my taskbar and after accessing AOL, I often will click on it to do my surfing. I haven’t tried to come on Adobe from the Elements program itself.

Do you have the new AOL 9.0 version? And, perhaps, if you’d tell us your OS and system itself, maybe we can determine better what your problem is.

Good luck,

Lorace
RA
Ralph_A._Sadler
Dec 22, 2003
Thanks, Lorace. Your input and those I’ve received from the others who contributed to this thread have given me all I need to install Elements early next year. I have found a new reason for adding Elements to my digital photo processing arsenal: the kind and knowledgeable people I’ve met on this forum.

Happy holidays!

Ralph
LG
Lorace_Graham
Dec 22, 2003
Well, happy holidays to you, too, Ralph! We’ll look forward to seeing you as a user of the wonderful Adobe Elements 2.

How nice of you to express it that way. You’re certainly right about the people in this forum. I’m fairly new myself and have never received anything but kind and helpful replies to my many (and sometimes stupid) questions. lol

Thanks,

Lorace

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections