MJ
Posted By
mike_j_cirillo
Jun 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
have been searching for techniques to make my graphics look like they have ‘already’ been washed a thousand times on a shirt. does anybody have any suggestions?

thanks mike c

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AW
Allen_Wicks
Jun 16, 2004
Perhaps try creative use of the Dodge Tool with a very large brush and varying opacities.
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Jun 17, 2004
Mike,

Scanning textures or photographing flecks of paint or creating a tattered piece of fabric screen by hand and then scanning that, then layering over your screen art (logo, whatever) and playing with various compositing in Photoshop will yield a wide array of grungy, distressed effects.

There are many Photoshop filters that can enhance these effects, but usually the best way to mimic an analog effect is to start with something real that already has elements of the effect you’re after.
CG
Christopher_Gentry
Jun 19, 2004
machine wash kicks. A friend bought it and I will as soon as I get christmas paid off. (3 40 gig iPods)
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Jun 21, 2004
Make a full page black square in illustrator or photoshop, print it out, the crappier the printer the better (toner based are the ideal), screw up said piece of paper. The toner will fall of and break away leaving a distressed look, the more you crumple it the more distressed it becomes.

Scan the flatened out piece back into photoshop, use your curves to ste the didtressed look just right, save as a tiff if you want to use in your vector program or place it over your text if you doing it in PS. Make a selection of the type and apply a layer mask to the distressed layer, bingo, instant distressed type, as used by screen printers world wide.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Jun 21, 2004
Thanks D Sealn, I bought.. waiting on delivery. They look really good. And really useful unlike most 3rd party filters.
DS
D_Selan
Jun 21, 2004
Scott,

They do look great, don’t they? I hope you have a lot of fun and success with them. And to Stevie J V, that’s a great tip. The freedom Photoshop affords is amazing.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections