TM
Posted By
The_Mantis
Jun 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Apologies in advance- I’m a reasonably competent amateur using PS7 for photos and GL6 for pages but with limited experience of page design in PS.

I want to construct a 4×4 array of buttons on the top half of a page 800 pixels wide. The page is a large photo which I want to be seen, with only small round buttons to spoil it. I thought I could use guides to split the page into 200×50 px bits, then repeatedly paste in my button.

I made the button on a 200x50px canvas, leaving most of the space for adding text later as rollover info. I expected the whole canvas to snap to the grid so all my buttons would be aligned.

However it seems if I make it with a transparent background, it’s the BUTTON which snaps, not the canvas (obviously this will do if I redesign the guides layout first).

If I flatten the button document first, I get a button on a white background which will snap to guides but is no use as it needs to be transparent.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

SW
Scott_Weichert
Jun 5, 2004
Photohop "snaps" to pixels. If you’ve got transparency there are no pixels for Photoshop to snap to. A simple solution is to add a layer to your button for a background. fill it with a solid color, any color. Then after moving the button layers to your photo document, snap to the guide. It will snap to that background of the button. Then simply turn off visibility for the button background or delete it. This will work best if you place your button layers in a layer set before dragging between documents.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections