JN
Posted By
Jim_Nollman
May 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using an HP 970 inkjet to print 1200 dpi proofs of art created in Photoshop. I’m using the proofs to show the work to galleries. But even after a few days of drying time, the ink remains sticky when i place the proofs on top of one another. Placing them in individual clear plastic folders doesn’t do any better.

I am looking for a fixative that works for inkjet ink. Any help is appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 28, 2004
Third-party inks on third-party paper?
Kodak glossy paper in particular?

Either buy new media — or try a hair dryer.
B
Buko
May 28, 2004
Should have bought an Epson
JN
Jim_Nollman
May 28, 2004
actually i just bought an Epson as my primary printer, but the yellow ink jet is broken after three months of use. I called Epson, and I was astounded when their customer service told me they will send me a new printer immediately, and that I should use the new printer box to send them the broken unit.

OK, so I’m stuck right now with this HP 970, but i still really need to eliminate the stickiness, because i have twenty images on paper, and it took me a lot of time to get it right. The inks are all standard HP. The paper is Kodak glossy. You seem to be implying that the stickiness is an issue with the Kodak paper? True? What paper should i use instead?

I’m not sure the proofs are actually "wet", so i don’t quite trust your hair dryer idea. Isn’t there some kind of spray fixative that will work with inkjet inks?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 28, 2004
<< The paper is Kodak glossy. You seem to be implying that the stickiness is an issue with the Kodak paper? >>

Why did I guess that?!

It is truly lousy paper — get anyone’s but theirs.

Actually, subjecting the prints to heat does seem to dry the ink. Have you got a print dryer — that works too, but they take a while to dry.
C
CLS
May 28, 2004
I have used a spray called Sureguard. Its a proffesional photo lacquer with UV inhibitor. It comes in gloss or satin. Very smelly vapors. I have gone outside to use it on good weather days.
R
Ram
May 28, 2004
Jim,

The paper is Kodak glossy.

Of all the papers I have ever tried on inkjet printers, Kodak produces by far the absolutely worst results.

You can’t get a decent print in the first place if you don’t have the profile for the specific paper/ink combination you are using.

You’ll always get the best results with ink and paper from your printer manufacturer. Too bad you chose HP, but if you’re going to keep it, use HP paper and inks.
JN
Jim_Nollman
May 28, 2004
I just learned that Krylon makes a product called Preserve-It, formulated specifically for affixing inkjet output.

I will not buy Kodak paper again.

One last question. What is the current printer of choice for hi-res color proofing? i can’t spend more than $500. I am aware that new models come out monthly, but what is the best bet for great printing?
B
Buko
May 28, 2004
Epson 2200
PC
Paul_Cutler
May 29, 2004
Quote: <actually i just bought an Epson as my primary printer, but the yellow ink jet is broken after three months of use. I called Epson, and I was astounded when their customer service told me they will send me a new printer immediately, and that I should use the new printer box to send them the broken unit>
Same thing happened with me an a Photo EX. GREAT customer service. On the other hand, I bought a HP 5000 tabloid bw proofer ($2400) when they came out. It would not print a solid field of black – flecks. Called customer service and was immediately told it was a known problem by a tech. They referred me to a customer service rep who said she had never heard of it and would look into it. Bottom line it took 3 months to get my money back from HP and to top it off I had installed a 40mg RAM chip (which was very expensive) which they told me I could keep. For what? I ended up throwing it in the trash. HP stinks. Epson rules. Period.
peace
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
May 29, 2004
I just discovered the use of the Fuji Frontier minilabs at Walgreens and other photolabs with the same equipment. Downloaded their profiles and get very predictable results (not as good as Epsons) on photographic laser exposed Fuji Crystal Archive prints.

Some labs can print up to 10 X 15. The glossy paper seems to give the widest dynamic range. I ran a 4 X 6 test print that included a grayramp, samples of my own work along with drag and drops from the PDI color target at my local Walgreens with very surprising results. Absolutely the most neutral gray I’ve seen from these types of labs.

If not for your museum pieces they might work for inexpensive 29¢ 4 X 6 print handout samples to display.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections