ED
Posted By
Emeril_Darose
Nov 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a way to tile images left to right instead of up and down ?

I was taught to read left to right not up and down, it’s a bit of a pain to manualy set up a roll of film to read left to right when you open a roll of photos and tile them automaticly.

When I open a roll of film and then tile them they list up and down this is bothersome when it’s a sequence of photos that you are tring to set up.

Just to explain what I mean, when you open a roll and tile it it looks like this….

1 6 11 16 21
2 7 12 17 22
3 8 13 18 23
4 9 14 19 24
5 10 15 20 25

What I would like to have is….

1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25

It may seem like a minor thing, but when you are tring to match up a sequence of photos ie: size sequence and color graduation left to right and you have to work up and down then relocate it left to right… well I hope you get the idea.

I could open the photos in sequence 1,6,11,16…… but after you have worked on them for a bit they are all out of kilter again. If you try to iconize them again as you open them up the other icons get hidden.

Emeril

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 23, 2003
I’m sorry Emeril, but I don’t even understand the question. Are you referring to a Browse function in Elements or to something within your OS? That sounds more like something Windows would be doing than Elements. If it’s in Elements, what screen are you on?

Somebody else will probably understand this, so I’ll watch for responses. Gee, I might even learn something!
ED
Emeril_Darose
Nov 23, 2003
Beth,

I’m in elements, under the window in the tool bar there is a section called images. Under here you can tile all open photos, as I work with a full roll of 25 photos at a time. Actuly roll of 24, but my camera lets me get an extra photo on each roll.

When you go to your files and open all photos in the directory in elements and you tile them, they tile top to bottom, they tile in columns insted of rows.

Open a roll of photos say a 24 roll from your directory (I still use 35 mm film) go under window>images>tile and you will see what I mean.

Emeril
SS
Susan_S.
Nov 23, 2003
Emeril – it’s not something I often do, but I actually did this yesterday – I had a whole series of photos with different flash settings open that I wanted to compare – and I’m afraid (at least with nine photos) mine tile in horizontal rows, left to right according to the order that they were opened in, as you desire…just tried it with 25 and it’s the same – maybe macs are more logical (I’m on OSX!)

Susan S
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 23, 2003
OK, I got it, and mine acts the same as Susan’s, but I’m on a Mac, too, although an older OS.
JW
JP White
Nov 23, 2003
wrote:

Is there a way to tile images left to right instead of up and down ?

Using the File Browser, it DOES tile left to right based on the filename. WinXP here. It also (logically) places sub folders at the end of the list.

Are you tiling some other way than using the file browser?

The file browser does allow you to Rank photographs, but since it already does what you want there is no need.

JP
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 23, 2003
I just tried tiling for the first time – didn’t know it existed, thanks to Emeril for pointing it out. I just opened a series of 14 images in one Open command, and the order in which they tiled appears to be random…. I’m using Windows XP Home. Going to try to open them one-by-one and see what happens..
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 23, 2003
OK…..just opened them one-by-one and got a cascade in the order in which they were opened. Tiled them, and the sequence was most recent first in the top left, then down the column in reverse order of opening, then up to the top in the next column, etc. So it’s by column in reverse order of opening. Now is that logical?? Nah………
J
JodiFrye
Nov 24, 2003
Emeril, most cameras will take an extra pic or 2 on a 24 etc..roll film. It’s the developer that wont always let you have them 😉
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 24, 2003
First time for me too, Tile, that is rather a neat way to look at the images. Could make neat background images this way.

Something new every day, that’s why this is so much fun! Jane
DS
Dick_Smith
Nov 24, 2003
I’ve found that when opening a "group" of images in Elements, you need to pick the last one first and then shift/click on the first one. This way they will open in order, try it the other way and the first will be last and the rest will be in order? Confusing, yes, but once I figured out that little tidbit, I’ve not had any problems since.

It first showed up when doing photomerge, I learned the work around pretty fast.

Dick
ED
Emeril_Darose
Nov 25, 2003
Well you have to like that a pain in the … question that helped others out, nice.

Chuck as you said not logical, it is such a pain and a waste of time tying to think of the proper sequence to open the photos in. Not to mention if you open an odd number of photos that isn’t divisible equally ie:5×5, 4×4 etc, then you get different sized tiles opening.

Sue and Beth, just one more pro for me to change to a dual G5 system. Anyone have a couple of grand to spare they can send me ?????

Emeril
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 25, 2003
Sorry, Emeril, I’m saving for my own G5 dual! I figure I’m now less than four months away. 🙂 I almost caved a week or so ago when they stuck that dual 1.8 in the line up for only $100 more than the single. My husband had to tie my hands behind my back.
SS
Susan_S.
Nov 25, 2003
My budget doesn’t run to the G5 dual – but I think I’ve just fallen in love with the new 20 inch imac – that screen is to die for!

Susan S
ED
Emeril_Darose
Nov 26, 2003
Ohh, go on rub it in !

I will get one one day, anyone want to buy my first born, how about an arm or a leg.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections