MG
Posted By
Miguel_Garcia
May 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello everyone. I have been using PSCS since the release and all was fine. I should mention that at the time, I was running it on a PC. About two weeks ago, I upgraded my editing systems to Mac G5 running latest version of OSX (Panther). The systems are running full versions of Photoshop CS and I am having some of the weirdest problems I have ever had with the software.

Image previews are not updating. By this I mean that I decompress all my images full frame and then recrop to 8×10 (as necessary) and eventhough the image opens as an 8×10, the metadata, preview and thumbnail all show it as being full frame and uncropped. This is a huge problem. I hate that I now I have to double check all the images after processing (usually done through a simple action) just to make sure they are all cropped. I did not have this problem when I was using the PC version of the software and it is really getting to me. I do not use the Camera Raw feature of Photoshop (as of now, I still get better results from my 14n when running the decompressions from PhotoDesk). This problem is not isolated to any one particular camera in the studio and actually plagues all images in the browser. I checked file permissions on Macintosh HD/Users/userprofile/Library/Application Support/Adobe/FileBrowser and made sure I had full access to the folder….I do. It does appear to me as if the software is not properly writing the cache but who knows. I do know this though, this problem now affects the PCs as well IF AND ONLY IF they open the cache of one of the folders which has a cache that was exported from the Mac. If I open the folder on the PC first, it works fine just like it should and my previews look fine on the Mac (as far as I can tell).

Any suggestions????

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
May 24, 2004
Miguel,

This may come as a surprise to you, but you need to Repair Permissions (by running Apple’s Disk Utility) before and after installing any new software that uses an installer on your Mac.

It may not help after the fact, but give it a try. Something to do whenever an application begins to act strangely is to trash the preference files and relaunch the application.

What routine maintenance have you performed so far?

If you don’t let your machine run 24/7 so the Cron Scripts run automatically in the middle of the night, you need to run them manually with a utility like Cocktail.
R
Ram
May 24, 2004
Miguel,

Of course, another thing to try is to Purge the Cache from the Browser’s File menu.
MG
Miguel_Garcia
May 24, 2004
I apologize if this seems like a really stupid question, but how do I run Apple’s Disk Utility? I’ve performed absolutely no maintenance to the drive. I am completely new to Macs (I haven’t used on since my Pismo Powerbook died almost a year ago and I am fairly unfamiliar with OSX). Because of weather here, I haven’t been leaving the systems on at night (which I usually do). Purging the cache does nothing either…literally. On the PC when I would purge the cache, it would regenerate the cache for the current folder. It does not do that on the Mac. 🙁 In the mean time, I will try to find Disk Utility on the drive so I can run that and try it.
MG
Miguel_Garcia
May 24, 2004
Ok. I found and ran Apple’s Disk Utitilty and Repaired Permissions. Still no luck. The problem still occurs without fail.
BF
Bruce_Fraser
May 24, 2004
Miguel,

If Purge Cache does nothing, you’ve almost certainly exported a cache to that folder.

FB’s "live" cache, which is being continually updated, lives in Users/userprofile/Library/Application Support/Adobe/File Browser/Photoshop CS. In there you’ll find three files for every folder the FB has seen. Those are the live cache files, and are the ones that are affected by Purge Cache.

When you Export Cache, you write a copy of these files to the folder on which you’re working—they show up as AdobeP8M.md0 (metadata), AdobeP8P.tb0 (previews), and AdobeP8T.tb0 (thumbnails). These files are static-they don’t get updated. (I think of them as "Save as" for the cache.)

If you purge the live cache, the FB wil read the local exported cache rather than recacheing everything.

So you probably need to delete the local cache files as well as repairing permissions to see any effect.
MG
Miguel_Garcia
May 24, 2004
Still no go on this at all guys. Thanks for the help but I’m still not getting anywhere.
R
Ram
May 24, 2004
Miguel,

As I said before, Repairing Permissions after the fact (rather than right before and right after installing any new software) may or may not help. In your case, it hasn’t.

Did you run the Cron Scripts (with Cocktail or similar utility)?

Other than doing what Buko suggests, and if you’ve already trashed preferences, a clean install of the application may be in order. Just remember three things: (1) trash the old Prefs before reinstalling, (2) Repair Permissions before and (3) after the installation.
MG
Miguel_Garcia
May 25, 2004
You mention trashing the preferences file. Where is it on the Mac? I’m going to try to re-install using your guys’ instructions and see if my luck changes. I just can’t lose any more time to this dumbfounded problem. Thanks again for all the help.
MG
Miguel_Garcia
May 25, 2004
Hey guys. Good news here. I trashed the Preferences File for CS. I uninstalled the program and ran Repair Permissions. I then re-installed the program and ran Repair Permissions again. The File Browser issue is gone. I also found that deleting both the local HDD browser cache and those on the remote server HDD as well forces the browser to update the cache which helped eliminate the problem with the browser cache between Mac & Windows versions. Thank you all for the support. I appreciate it a lot.
R
Ram
May 25, 2004
Glad you straightened that out.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections