SA
Posted By
Susan_Acree
Nov 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I created a layer which I made a grid with square inch boxes that I can use with photograph and print it out. This will be useful reference when I grid out architectural elements for art work. Is there a way I can save the one transparent layer with grid marks with a name so that I can apply it to any photograph image I want like one can with filters?

Thanks for information!
Susan

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

SS
Susan_S.
Nov 16, 2003
Hi Susan. If you just save the grid layer in a document, then you can just drag the layer with the grid from the layer palette onto any other document (holding down the shift key as you do this will ensure that it drops into place centred) Only down side is that you will only get a perfect match if the photographs are the same size as the original one that you created the grid for…
Susan S.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 16, 2003
Susan,

If you simply drew lines on a transparent layer then you should be able to save that layer for the future. One way is:

Make that particular layer active, Use the rectangular marquee to select all of the image, then do Edit>Copy. Make a new file (File>New) give it a name, select background transparent, click on OK. Then do Edit>Paste.

I think that should do it for you.

Wendy
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 16, 2003
Have you tried making a new transparent document and dragging the layer on to that? I don’t have time to test right now, but it just might work. Might, I said. 🙂
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 16, 2003
Beth’s method should work…that’s what I did with the challenge boy so I wouldn’t have to redo the selection for other entries.
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 16, 2003
Duh. I was doing this in a hurry and didn’t even notice two others had already responded with the same suggestion. Maybe now that dinner is over it’s time to call it a day!
DH
Dan Howard
Nov 17, 2003
wrote:
I created a layer which I made a grid with square inch boxes that I can use with photograph and print it out. This will be useful reference when I grid out architectural elements for art work. Is there a way I can save the one transparent layer with grid marks with a name so that I can apply it to any photograph image I want like one can with filters?

Thanks for information!
Susan

A simpler solution might be to select a portion of your grid layer, with no other layers visible, and creat a fill pattern from it (Edit/Define pattern). You can then fill a transparent layer on top of any other image with your grid regardless of the size of the image.
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 23, 2003
Susan

I just noticed several sets of grid patterens over transparent backgrounds at the exchange. There are several diffent spacing options…one set even has white grid lines instead of the traditional black lines. Thought this tip might help.

Terri
PA
Patti_Anderson
Nov 23, 2003
If you save your grid as a pattern you can use it in any project. In a previous thread on this forum I gave these instructions on how to create a grid pattern from scratch:

<1. Create a new document 1 in x 1 in, 72 ppi, check Transparent under Contents.
2. Select>All (Ctrl+A)
3. Edit>Stroke. Change size to 1 pixel, choose the color (it’s black if you have it as your foreground color) and make sure Centered is checked under Location.
4. Edit>Define Pattern. Name it and save it.

Use as a pattern fill on a new layer. Voila! Doing it this way you can make your pattern grid any color you want!

If you go through this way, Layers>New Fill Layer>Pattern, you can resize it to 200% and have a 2 inch grid. If your document is 300ppi or above, you may want to use 2 pixels instead of 1. Just be sure to check Centered.

:)Patti
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 23, 2003
Hey Patti,

That is great and its so easy to do … I must have missed it the first time around.

Thanks for the instructions

Wendy
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 24, 2003
Patti, I must have missed these directions the first time around too. Thanks for the info.

Terri
WD
william_drescher
Jan 13, 2004
I think I missed something. When I did this I ended up with a transparent pattern, no grid lines.
WD
william_drescher
Jan 13, 2004
I hate it when this happens: The second time I did it I got the grid I expected. Thanks
NG
Nathan Gutman
Apr 15, 2004
Using PS5.0 LE.
I was working with an image with several layers. To simplify I hid the layers that I was not working on. The listing of layers disappeared from the layer window.
Then I wanted to flatten image but was asked to discard hidden layers. I do not want to discard but don’t see any way to unhide the hidden layers as they do not appear in the layers windows.
How do I get to those hidden layers so I can include them in the flattened image?
J
jaSPAMc
Apr 15, 2004
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:21:03 -0400, Nathan Gutman found these unused words floating about:

Using PS5.0 LE.
I was working with an image with several layers. To simplify I hid the layers that I was not working on. The listing of layers disappeared from the layer window.
Then I wanted to flatten image but was asked to discard hidden layers. I do not want to discard but don’t see any way to unhide the hidden layers as they do not appear in the layers windows.
How do I get to those hidden layers so I can include them in the flattened image?

Hidden layers can’t be ‘flattened’ as they don’t contribute to the image.

Your choice could be to merge visible and then "save a copy" or simply discard the unneeded layers and flatten.

Once ‘flattened’ they’d not be accessable anyway!
-xiray-
Apr 15, 2004
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:21:03 -0400, Nathan Gutman
wrote:

Using PS5.0 LE.

I’ve run PS since ver 3.0, but never an LE version so with that disclaimer….

I’ve never seen that happen. Either the PS screwed up or you deleted the layers and did not realize it. If they are not in the palette, then there’s no way of getting them back that I know of.

Also there is another possibility… PS 5 is kinda old. If you’re running it in XP then perhaps something quirky happened. I’ve seen other old Adobe apps have bad interacations with XP (old versions of PageMaker and Acrobat in particular).
SZ
Steven_Zig
May 17, 2005
I have only played with elements a little but I am a little confused with layers. I understand using layers so I don’t make changes to my original photo but after I am done with whatever edits I have done using layers what do I do to save it? Once I do save it is the original still there the way it started?

It seems that each explanation about how to do things with layers seems to leave out the last step (saving)

Thanks
Steven
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
May 17, 2005
Steven…..

If you want to save your file with the layers intact so that you can come back later and use them, then you should be saving in a format such as the Adobe native PSD.

So assuming you start with a JPEG file, do your changes in layers then Save As a PSD, you’ll still have your original JPEG as well as a file with your layers.

Colin
SZ
Steven_Zig
May 17, 2005
when do you use collapse layer?
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
May 17, 2005
If you wanted to save the result as a JPEG, you’d need to flatten the image first as JPEG doesn’t support layers.

What you can do with JPEG is save individual layers.

Colin
SZ
Steven_Zig
May 17, 2005
Does Elements automatically save to PSD?

Again, thanks for your help
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
May 17, 2005
No…..when you want to save the result you must use File > Save As and select the PSD format. If you don’t do this and just use Save it will over write your original.

Colin
SZ
Steven_Zig
May 17, 2005
Thanks Colin
AK
A_Kirk
May 17, 2005
Steven, what I usually do with the original jpg is to make a copy, then work on the copy.

When I make changes to the jpg copy, such as creating layers for various reasons (adjustments to color, etc.), I’ll save this work as a PSD ("save as") then I’ll also convert this back to a jpg, so I can use it in typical applications that others can see.

The PSD is flattened (Layer, Flatten Image), then I’ll save this (File, Save As) as another jpg. Usually, I give it a name, and put an "a" next to it.

So, I’ll have the original jpg tucked away, the copy of the jpg tucked away, the PSD of the adjustments on the jpg copy, and the flattened image, which is now the "new" jpg I’ll use for sending to people, or printing up a picture.

It seems like a lot of files (I’ll archive them on a CD or DVD), but it helps to keep them separate, so you don’t end up losing the original, or messing with the original’s quality. The PSD can always be opened and changes made to it.

Al
JH
Jim_Hess
May 17, 2005
If you open a new JPEG image and start adding layers to it, and then click on the close button, Elements will ask if you want to save the changes to your JPEG image. If you merely confirm that you want to save the changes, Elements will prompt you for the name of a file with the PSD extension because it recognizes that your image has layers. I use this method frequently when I’m working on a lot of images. There are some here who will say that I am flirting with disaster by working this way, but I suppose it’s all a matter of what one becomes accustomed to doing. I am comfortable working in this manner and will continue to do so.
RG
Roger_Gidon_Whitehead
May 17, 2005
If you want to save your file with the layers intact so that you can come back later and use them, then you should be saving in a format such as the Adobe native PSD.

Doesn’t PE3 do this automatically?

I’ve just taken a jpg, made an empty layer then saved (Ctrl-S). PE straightaway invited me to save it under the original name but as a PSD.

Regards,

Roger
JH
Jim_Hess
May 17, 2005
I suppose, technically speaking, it is not an "automatic" save. Elements will offer to save as a PSD file, but you have the option to change the format to something else. You can also save an image with layers as a tiff file, and it will preserve the layers as well.
LH
Linda_Hirsch
Oct 15, 2005
I have a file where the layers if selected are a light grey instead of the usual blue. anyone know why?
P
Phosphor
Oct 15, 2005
First….explore.

Create a new dummy document and add a couple layers. The highlighting is the way you expect it to be when you select a layer, right? Now, put these two documents side by side. First on one, then the other, look at various aspects of the two files. What is different between the two that might cause the first one to behave the way it does? The answer is Photoshop 101.

I’m not being evasive, I’m trying to motivate you learn how to think in "Photoshop-ese". A good analogy would be learning a language. You can pretty much know you’re fluent in a second language when you can THINK in that language as opposed to doing a rapid mental translation from your native first language.

I read your post in 5 seconds and knew immediately the answer to your problem. It’s a very simple solution. It’s not because I’m smart. It’s because I have taken ther time to explore things out of self-motivation. And I don’t mean to sound like I’m withholding a great key to the Photoshop universe.

Quite to the contrary, I simply want to teach you how to analyze the lock yourself and then to cut your own key.
JS
John_Slate
Oct 15, 2005
…. be careful to brush the burrs off a freshly cut key or it will not work.
P
Phosphor
Oct 15, 2005
Deburring comes naturally after you’ve cut enough keys.
LH
Linda_Hirsch
Oct 15, 2005
thanks Phos.
Oh, you know what it was, in the image where I was getting these light grey layers, it had some quick mask channel in the channels palette .
But I never made a quick mask, did I? Did not remember any rubylith. Can’t PHotoshop get rid of it, and if not, why is it sill there, and why is it making the layers grey. thanks.
P
Phosphor
Oct 15, 2005
"But I never made a quick mask, did I? Did not remember any rubylith. "

I dunno, I’m not there while you’re working. That’s something you need to pay attention to. Also, you know the term "Quick Mask." What do the Help Files, and/or Manual and/or PDF manual have to say about working with Quick Masks?

"Can’t PHotoshop get rid of it, and if not, why is it sill there, and why is it making the layers grey."

How do you get rid of other stuff in your Layers Palette? Or on your desktop for that matter?

Again, I’m trying to prompt you to make the logical connection, because when you do, the light bulb will go on over your head. And when the lightbulb goes on, you’ll start seeing more and more of the same sort of logical behaviors and connections all over the place, and you’ll start to trust your instincts about how to find answers on your own. If you’re always relying on others to answer every question you have, you’ll never learn to speak fluent Photoshopese.

Don’t be afraid to click on everything, try every tool, every function… EVERYTHING. You won’t "break" Photoshop or your computer. If you screw something up, well, that’s what the Undo function is for, and why you can back up through the History Palette states.

And if you’re REALLY worried about messing up an image, remember this axiom: "ALWAYS work on a copy, and leave the original untouched!"

🙂
D
d-signer
Oct 15, 2005
It seems you accidentally touched Q on the keyboard. Q toggles quick mask mode. Quick mask mode saves with the document.

Quick mask is special interface of plain alpha-channel.

—Kostya

wrote in message
thanks Phos.
Oh, you know what it was, in the image where I was getting these light grey layers, it had some quick mask channel in the channels palette . But I never made a quick mask, did I? Did not remember any rubylith. Can’t PHotoshop get rid of it, and if not, why is it sill there, and why is it making the layers grey. thanks.
LH
Linda_Hirsch
Oct 15, 2005
thanks Phos, the motivator!

thanks D.
good info.

What I’m finding out about quick-mask, which I’ve used for awhile, is that is dumps this thing in channels, and even if you are finished with it long time ago, it stays there, and seems to inhibit certain things. I wish it did not do this!

Anyway, lesson: need to really check channels and title bar more often.
P
Phosphor
Oct 16, 2005
You’re welcome, Linda.

It’s always been my contention that having answers handed to me never have the same value as the ones I have to dig for a little and think through. The best teachers I’ve ever had in ANY subject were the ones that taught me how to find answers for myself.

"Anyway, lesson: need to really check channels and title bar more often."

Now that you know this, and after you’ve gotten used to doing it, it’ll become automatic. Once it becomes automatic, you’re free to move forward and make other new procedures happen with the same ease.

Think about how automatically you’re able to do a save with a quick flick of the "CTRL + S" keyboard shortcut. At one time, we all had to make an effort to remember that. That same sort of self-motivated effort will reward you with being just as comfortable with even the most arcane Photoshop procedures.
LH
Linda_Hirsch
Oct 16, 2005
thanks PHos. Unfortunately, with PHotoshop, these things do seem appear to be endless.
P
Phosphor
Oct 16, 2005
That quality of "endlessness" is a big part of Photoshop’s enduring allure.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 16, 2005
I lectured a one month, full-time, hands on course on Photoshop.

At the end, I told the students, "Now you know 10% of Photoshop".

(I never let on I didn’t know much more myself 😉 )
LH
Linda_Hirsch
Oct 17, 2005
that true. I’m four years and about 1/2 way to first base. Maybe first base.
SF
Stirge Fluton
Jan 1, 2007
Hi. I’m familiar with the PS basics, but I would like to know how to easily create a, say, an "over-layer" that I could put on top of all my photos. Sort of like a copyright thing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
A
Anthony
Jan 2, 2007
Stirge Fluton wrote:
Hi. I’m familiar with the PS basics, but I would like to know how to easily create a, say, an "over-layer" that I could put on top of all my photos. Sort of like a copyright thing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Exactly what do you mean by an "over-layer". Something like the istock photo symbol. If you wish to create something like this, add an image or text (copyright thing) on top of your photo. Apply color overlay in the blending options menu and some opacity. Copy merged your copyright thing and apply to all your photos.
W
whiteMemphis
Jan 23, 2007
Pretty new to ps, would like to ask the group a question, what would you think is the most straightforward and simple way to lay one complete image on top of another please, thanks any advice. (Elements 2).
FS
Fat Sam
Jan 23, 2007
whiteMemphis wrote:
Pretty new to ps, would like to ask the group a question, what would you think is the most straightforward and simple way to lay one complete image on top of another please, thanks any advice. (Elements
2).

Set up a new layer and paste it in there.
Other than that, I’m not sure I understand the question fully.
RG
Roy G
Jan 23, 2007
"whiteMemphis" wrote in message
Pretty new to ps, would like to ask the group a question, what would you think is the most straightforward and simple way to lay one complete image on top of another please, thanks any advice. (Elements 2).

You just copy the picture and paste it onto the other one. Or just drag it from its own window into the other pictures window. Either way, it will be added as an additional layer.

Of course you won’t be able to see the bottom picture,( layer), until you reduce the opacity of the top ,(layer), picture.

Roy G
W
whiteMemphis
Jan 27, 2007
"Fat Sam" wrote in message
whiteMemphis wrote:
Pretty new to ps, would like to ask the group a question, what would you think is the most straightforward and simple way to lay one complete image on top of another please, thanks any advice. (Elements
2).

thankyou, my difficulty is that I can’t seem to get the 2nd image into the new layer square which I create in the layer menu, and everytime I open the 2nd image it changes the title of the 1st image in the layer menu which is the background layer and then calls itself the background layer instead of layer 1. My idea is to have one image superimposed over another which would be the background layer, adjust opacity levels so that the background layer is partially visible in an interesting way through layer 1. difficult to explain without being able to show the steps I am taking, but thanks for reading anyway.
PJ
Papa Joe
Jan 27, 2007
On 2007-01-22 21:16:57 -0400, "whiteMemphis" said:

Drag the layer in layer’s palette onto the New layer icon at the bottom of the layer’s palette.
Not only does it create a new layer, it duplicate any images in the original layer.

Welcome to Papa Joe’s
CB
Chris Borrell
Feb 17, 2007
whiteMemphis wrote:
"Fat Sam" wrote in message
whiteMemphis wrote:
2).
thankyou, my difficulty is that I can’t seem to get the 2nd image into the new layer square which I create in the layer menu, and everytime I open the 2nd image it changes the title of the 1st image in the layer menu which is the background layer and then calls itself the background layer instead of layer 1. My idea is to have one image superimposed over another which would be the background layer, adjust opacity levels so that the background layer is partially visible in an interesting way through layer 1. difficult to explain without being able to show the steps I am taking, but thanks for reading anyway.
Try this:
Open the first image
Open the second image
When you’re looking at the second image, click and drag the ‘Background’ layer in the layer pallet onto the first image
E
enleger
Apr 17, 2009
If I have 5 layers or 10 for that matter, how do I create a new layer that shows the results of all the layers that already exist?

enleger
A
Apex
Apr 17, 2009
One option is to copy all the layers (depending on your version of Photoshop, you should be able to select multiple layers using "shift" click on PC). Then with these "copied" layers selected, merge the layers into one layer. Another way is to copy the file and just flatten the image (use the drop down in your layer window). Flattening will merge all layers in the file. This flattened layer can be added to your original psd file. A third option would be to just "save as" a jpg or tif. I strongly suggest that you always work with a copy of the layers or file to avoid accidently merging or flattening layers that you want to keep separate.

Apex
M
michael
Apr 17, 2009
highlight the top layer in the stack, then Shift-Ctrl-Alt-E. that will combine all visible layers to a new layer. I use this so much I’ve assigned a button on my wacom tablet to do it.

"enleger" wrote in message
If I have 5 layers or 10 for that matter, how do I create a new layer that shows the results of all the layers that already exist?

enleger
E
enleger
Apr 17, 2009
Thanks. I knew there was some shortcut for it.

enleger

"Michael" wrote in message
highlight the top layer in the stack, then Shift-Ctrl-Alt-E. that will combine all visible layers to a new layer. I use this so much I’ve assigned a button on my wacom tablet to do it.

"enleger" wrote in message
enleger

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections