JS
Posted By
John_Schinner
Nov 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a way to add a signature to a picture?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

KW
Kyle_White
Nov 8, 2003
Hi John,

The easiest way would be with a graphics tablet/stylus.

I’d create a separate image or maybe two or three, with differing "ink" colours and transparent backgrounds, for differing contrast and then store them for adding to other images later. Then you could also play with the exact size and angle etc.

HTH

Kyle
DS
Darby_Stone
Nov 8, 2003
John,

I think you can also use your mouse and sign your name on a new file and create a custom brush from this. Then just use the custom brush to place your sig on each photo. Maybe someone else knows a better way.

I hope this helps.

Beep Beep,
Darby 🙂
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 8, 2003
Darby, ya that’s the way to go if you aren’t in a tablet frame of mind…such as myself. I like my mouse 😉 I just used ‘ french script’ type for my signature and made a custom brush from it…it’s alot less sloppy than my actual signature 🙂
LM
Lou_M
Nov 9, 2003
What about scanning in a real signature? I’ve never gotten a mouse signature to work very well. Maybe it only works for Mickey.
JR
John_R._Collins
Nov 9, 2003
Hi John,

Here’s what I did:

With a felt tipped black pen, I wrote three lines with space in between on a piece of paper as follows:

J.R. Collins ’03

J.R. Collins ’04

etc.

I scanned the page 3 times, selecting each "year" and exported the files as jpgs into my picture file folder.

When I need to sign a picture, I open the signature file, copy and paste it onto a new layer over my picture.

On that layer, I then ues the wand to select the white part and cut it. I then select the signature (contiguous deselected) and change its color to one that is close to the background so that it is not too intrusive.

Hope this helps,

John
LK
Leen_Koper
Nov 9, 2003
I always sign my images by hand. Of course this is not an answer to your question at all, but in my opinion a handwritten signature is a little more genuine. Buyers will know the "artist" really took the trouble to sign it for them personally.
Moreover, I use two different signatures; one, decipherable, on my images and another one for my credit card etc.

When I want my name really big on the image, I type it under the image inside an added border and nevertheless I still sign it by hand inside the image.

Leen
GD
Grant_Dixon
Nov 9, 2003
Once you have scanned, stylused or moused your name in it is very easy to change it to a brush. Then you can simply added it to any picture at will. If anyone wants to know how to do this send me a request by email and I will send you off a pdf on how to accomplish this.

g.
SK
Shan_Ko
Nov 10, 2003
Lou,

Your idea of scanning a signature is excellent. Wish I had thought of that. thanks

Shan
LM
Lou_M
Nov 10, 2003
Shan,

Glad it could help. Like most things, it was an accident. Ten years ago I was testing fax software that came with OS/2 (IBM, not Apple). I faxed from a regular fax machine but there were no documents around to test, so I just scribbled some stuff on a piece of paper and signed my name. When I got the fax (it worked), I thought BINGO! I saved it and used it as a signature to "sign" my faxes. Just goes to show you how absurd it is that companies won’t accept e-mail but they will accept a fax for a signed document–every document I’ve ever "signed" on a fax is, well, fake–computer manipulated. You’d think they’d be suspicious when every document is signed exactly the same way. 🙂
JS
John_Schinner
Nov 10, 2003
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I’ve tried several ways to create a signature.

1. I typed my name on a new file with a blank background. Click Edit> Define Brush and there you have it. Just select the brush when you want the name to appear on your picture.

2. I scanned in a written signature and deleted the background. When I click Edit, Define brush is "grayed out". I would prefer to use the handwritten signature it at all possible, but can’t figure out what I need to do to get Define brush to accept it.

John Schinner

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections