J
Posted By
jrzyguy
Nov 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
You could easily draw the ying yang in illustrator, freehand or corel draw…then save it as either a jpeg, tiff wor whatever bitmap format you prefer. if you absolutetly insist on keeping it totaly in photoshop….just go to google and under images do a search for ying yang….and tehre are pleanty of gifs for you there. you could then either trace your image using the pen toon in photoshop…or again a vector drawing program. I understand that you might want to create this completely from scratch….but you are obviously on-line….so why not use the obvious resources available to you.

jj

"Flatcat" wrote in message
Hi Folks,
Thanks for all of your kind replies.
Let me rephrase my quest: I’m looking for different and innovative ways of
creating the YinYang (yinyang, yin-Yang, yingyang, etc) sign. I guess it’s kinda
a challenge – I visit this group to stretch and expand my mind, to learn, to see if
there are different ways of doing something in Photoshop. One can easily copy
or draw said sign, but are there different ways of creating one from scratch? In
a sense, I’m asking, "how do you make a circle?", but I address this question to
the Einsteins as well as to the Gomer Pyles.
I could make the sign with a Wacom tab or by freehand. Or, if I want it exact
and mathematical, I could start with a 4×4 slate and use rulers, guides, create
some circles, load, subtract and intersect some selections, fill some colors and
then invert to get the yin and the yang….etc,… But there MUST be other ways…
Thanks, Sanders, I didn’t know that it came with the program. Thanks, Toby,
the site provided showed numerous signs that were inspirational. Clive, this
group is great, isn’t it, there’s a lot to learn here. And Dr. F, I may be wrong,
but my understanding is that the yin/yang idea comes from ancient Chinese
cosmology … thoughts they had about the universe before the world was flat.
Flat

Flatcat wrote:

I’m sure there are dozens of ways to create a yin yang sign in Photoshop. I’m exploring some different and contrasting ways creating such images. Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions would be welcome. TIA. Flat

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CD
Clyde Davidson
Nov 16, 2003
In article ,
"jrzyguy" wrote:

You could easily draw the ying yang in illustrator, freehand or corel draw…then save it as either a jpeg, tiff wor whatever bitmap format you prefer. if you absolutetly insist on keeping it totaly in photoshop….just go to google and under images do a search for ying yang….and tehre are pleanty of gifs for you there. you could then either trace your image using the pen toon in photoshop…or again a vector drawing program. I understand that you might want to create this completely from scratch….but you are obviously on-line….so why not use the obvious resources available to you.
jj

"Flatcat" wrote in message
Hi Folks,
Thanks for all of your kind replies.
Let me rephrase my quest: I’m looking for different and innovative ways of
creating the YinYang (yinyang, yin-Yang, yingyang, etc) sign. I guess it’s kinda
a challenge – I visit this group to stretch and expand my mind, to learn, to see if
there are different ways of doing something in Photoshop. One can easily copy
or draw said sign, but are there different ways of creating one from scratch? In
a sense, I’m asking, "how do you make a circle?", but I address this question to
the Einsteins as well as to the Gomer Pyles.
I could make the sign with a Wacom tab or by freehand. Or, if I want it exact
and mathematical, I could start with a 4×4 slate and use rulers, guides, create
some circles, load, subtract and intersect some selections, fill some colors and
then invert to get the yin and the yang….etc,… But there MUST be other ways…
Thanks, Sanders, I didn’t know that it came with the program. Thanks, Toby,
the site provided showed numerous signs that were inspirational. Clive, this
group is great, isn’t it, there’s a lot to learn here. And Dr. F, I may be wrong,
but my understanding is that the yin/yang idea comes from ancient Chinese
cosmology … thoughts they had about the universe before the world was flat.
Flat

Flatcat wrote:

I’m sure there are dozens of ways to create a yin yang sign in Photoshop. I’m exploring some different and contrasting ways creating such images. Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions would be welcome. TIA. Flat

I made a tattoo, that I’m planning to get, that is the Yin Yang symbol. I don’t remember exactly, but here are the basic steps.

I wasn’t at all impressed with the small, bad Yin Yang symbols I found on the internet. Then someone pointed out to me that the Wingdings font has that symbol in it. Sure enough, on the Mac it is character [.

I then enlarged it as a font in Photoshop. I then selected the inner white and modified the selection. I think I smoothed it and maybe sharpened it. I saved this as a selection.

To get the black, I started from the same selection and rotated it. I think I had to line it up, but don’t remember. I saved this as a different selection/alpha channel. (Just selecting the black included the outer circle, which you may want.)

I then used these channels to fill new layers with the colors I wanted – blue and red for my tattoo. I then applied layer styles to the two separate layers to get a 3D look. With the light coming from the upper left, the blue looks sunken and the red looks raised.

I have a lovely tattoo that I’ll get on my knee scar, as soon as I have the money.

Clyde
M
Madsen
Nov 16, 2003
Clyde Davidson wrote:

Then someone pointed out to me that the Wingdings font
has that symbol in it. Sure enough, on the Mac it is character [.

The yin and yang symbol is available as a shape both in Photoshop 7 and CS. <http://home18.inet.tele.dk/madsen/photoshop/yin_yang.png>.

Regards
Madsen.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections