How to delete a signature from a picture?

M
Posted By
Metallo
Jul 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I want to print some pictures that I have downloaded from the internet. They have the signature of the author on the bottom left, is there a way to delete it in PS?

Thanks
Alex

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

T
Tabasco1
Jul 13, 2004
"Metallo" wrote in message
Hi,

I want to print some pictures that I have downloaded from the internet. They have the signature of the author on the bottom left, is there a way
to
delete it in PS?

Yes. But that would be wrong.

Charles
Torrance, California
http://www.tcpslashipdomains.com
PW
Pjotr Wedersteers
Jul 13, 2004
Metallo wrote:
Hi,

I want to print some pictures that I have downloaded from the internet. They have the signature of the author on the bottom left, is there a way to delete it in PS?

Thanks
Alex

The right way is to email the owner/copyrightholder of the image. He or she probably worked hard to get that image. If it’s for personal use many people are more than willing to send you a copy for print. Or pay up!

If you are sure this is public domain imagery and some schmuck decided to add his own sig just because he needed his graffiti it’s a different issue. But be sure to check out first. Don’t assume anything just because it’s in your interest.

In general artifacts you want out of a picture can be removed by use of the patch, clone stamp and /or healing brush tools in PS. describing in detail would be rather lengthy and quite useless without the example at hand showing. There are brilliant tutorials all around. Google will be your path to enlightenment. And the help files in PS probably have some material to offer.

HTH
Pjotr
M
Metallo
Jul 13, 2004
Thanks for your comments.

No copyright is involved here, otherwise I would not have asked, you can be sure!

Cheers
Alex

"Pjotr Wedersteers" wrote in message
Metallo wrote:
Hi,

Thanks
Alex

The right way is to email the owner/copyrightholder of the image. He or
she
probably worked hard to get that image. If it’s for personal use many
people
are more than willing to send you a copy for print. Or pay up!
If you are sure this is public domain imagery and some schmuck decided to add his own sig just because he needed his graffiti it’s a different
issue.
But be sure to check out first. Don’t assume anything just because it’s in your interest.

In general artifacts you want out of a picture can be removed by use of
the
patch, clone stamp and /or healing brush tools in PS. describing in detail would be rather lengthy and quite useless without the example at hand showing. There are brilliant tutorials all around. Google will be your
path
to enlightenment. And the help files in PS probably have some material to offer.

HTH
Pjotr

V
Voivod
Jul 13, 2004
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:06:12 GMT, "Metallo"
scribbled:

No copyright is involved here, otherwise I would not have asked, you can be sure!

If you ‘found’ the images and they’re not something you created then rest assured they’re someone’s property and fully copyrighted from the very moment they were fixed in a medium.
J
jaSPAMc
Jul 13, 2004
ALL images are copyrighted! PERIOD !!!

Whether the poster (owner, hopefully) grants permission ON the web location, that they’re "declared" to be public domain or whatever. CYAN! before altering and re-using!

Kirk Splaat.

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:06:12 GMT, "Metallo" found these unused words floating about:

Cheers
Alex

"Pjotr Wedersteers" wrote in message
Metallo wrote:
Hi,

Thanks
Alex

The right way is to email the owner/copyrightholder of the image. He or
she
probably worked hard to get that image. If it’s for personal use many
people
are more than willing to send you a copy for print. Or pay up!
If you are sure this is public domain imagery and some schmuck decided to add his own sig just because he needed his graffiti it’s a different
issue.
But be sure to check out first. Don’t assume anything just because it’s in your interest.

In general artifacts you want out of a picture can be removed by use of
the
patch, clone stamp and /or healing brush tools in PS. describing in detail would be rather lengthy and quite useless without the example at hand showing. There are brilliant tutorials all around. Google will be your
path
to enlightenment. And the help files in PS probably have some material to offer.

HTH
Pjotr
TR
Tiemen Ratipati
Jul 13, 2004
in article oXKIc.183876$, Metallo at
wrote on 07/12/2004 11:04 PM:

Hi,

Thanks
Alex

No.
TR
Tiemen Ratipati
Jul 13, 2004
in article UJMIc.183941$, Metallo at
wrote on 07/13/2004 1:06 AM:

You can be sure there is a copyright involved when someone says that.
J
jrzyguy
Jul 13, 2004
it really all depends what your intent of use is. If you are going to use an image for any sort of professional reason…then yeah..its pretty unethical to rob this person of their stuff without permission.

I wont say where i work….but we have cloned out pleanty of corbis watermarks in the past. I think they have finaly stopped that tho.

But if you are going to be using it for say a student project or a personal web site….contact the person…and they are usualy pretty cool about sharing (as long as YOU do not take credit for their work and give them some credit (perhaps a link to their site). And the nice thing about working with them like this…is that they will probably send you a higher resolution file than what you will find on their site.

If you are a student tho…and am making some sort of presentation…i am sure there would really be no ethical breech if you included the source in a bibliography.

Personaly…i dont see much of an ethical problem if you are going to use these images for a private presentation (say a closing dinner)…and are not going to distribute the images publicly in ANY way.

If i am wrong..i am sure someone will correct me.

j

"Tiemen Ratipati" wrote in message
in article UJMIc.183941$, Metallo at
wrote on 07/13/2004 1:06 AM:

No copyright is involved here, otherwise I would not have asked, you can
be
sure!

You can be sure there is a copyright involved when someone says that.
J
jaSPAMc
Jul 13, 2004
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:48:48 -0400, "jrzyguy" found these unused words floating about:

it really all depends what your intent of use is. If you are going to use an image for any sort of professional reason…then yeah..its pretty unethical to rob this person of their stuff without permission.
I wont say where i work….but we have cloned out pleanty of corbis watermarks in the past. I think they have finaly stopped that tho.
But if you are going to be using it for say a student project or a personal web site….contact the person…and they are usualy pretty cool about sharing (as long as YOU do not take credit for their work and give them some credit (perhaps a link to their site). And the nice thing about working with them like this…is that they will probably send you a higher resolution file than what you will find on their site.

If you are a student tho…and am making some sort of presentation…i am sure there would really be no ethical breech if you included the source in a bibliography.

Personaly…i dont see much of an ethical problem if you are going to use these images for a private presentation (say a closing dinner)…and are not going to distribute the images publicly in ANY way.

If i am wrong..i am sure someone will correct me.

j

"Closing Dinners" and ALL presentations are technically required to obtain a ‘site license’ for music and video usage. This would then seem that all forms of copyright is involved in such ‘private’ presentations.

Use of an image in a home setting – would probably NOT fall into the trap. In any commercial setting, restaurant, ballroom, meeting room, convention facility, etc. definitely does … as many large companies have found out to the detriment of their ‘show budget’.

To date, I’ve yet to refuse imagery except in one case … where it was ‘presented as a "fait accompli" and "after the fact". This group (three letter "B" govenrmental arm) even had gone so far as to blur my copyright.

So why contact me? They’d had complaints about the ‘poor printing quality’ and decided they ‘needed better images’ from me! Yeah, right!

Their regional supervisor got the ‘cease and desist’ letter(s).
GP
Gene Palmiter
Jul 21, 2004
seems that if its honest use and permission is asked for and given and if its clear that its work by another then leaving the signature in place is the way to go. Nope….can’t think of any reason an honest person should do this.

"Metallo" wrote in message
Hi,

I want to print some pictures that I have downloaded from the internet. They have the signature of the author on the bottom left, is there a way
to
delete it in PS?

Thanks
Alex

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections