Modifier Keys not-functioning in Photoshop CS + all other Adobe products…

CS
Posted By
Charles_Scholz
May 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using Adobe Photoshop CS on a G5 with 2GB of RAM running OS X.3.3. After a certain amount of time (usually 3-4 days) the modifier keys stop functioning in Photoshop CS and then, in no particular order, in all other installed Adobe applications (including Adobe CS Premium Suite, Illustrator 10.0.3, Photoshop 7.0.1, etc…). Thus far I have written zeros and re-imaged the G5, reinstalled the CS suite and all other Adobe apps after purging the G5 of all remnants of the products, made sure that the user did not customize his shortcuts in OS X, checked Keyboard settings, etc… The G5 in question is one of 50 with the same image on it and is the only computer evidencing this problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Charles

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
progress
May 13, 2004
tried FAQ?
CS
Charles_Scholz
May 13, 2004
Where are they located?
G
graffiti
May 13, 2004
tried FAQ?

I don’t even see that. At least not in the Mac PS FAQ’s.
M
MarkATS
May 13, 2004
New keyboard?
P
Phosphor
May 13, 2004
FAQ’s are located near the top of the Main Photoshop Forum’s thread index.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.ee9d6b1>
CS
Charles_Scholz
May 14, 2004
There actually aren’t any related FAQ’s and I’ve tried multiple keyboards and mice connected to the various USB ports so no help there as yet. Thanks so far though.
B
Buko
May 14, 2004
Have you tried installing and not reimaging??
G
graffiti
May 14, 2004
The FAQ about keyboard shortcuts is only related to PC’s.
CS
Charles_Scholz
May 14, 2004
Even with a straight-on Panther install from original disks, and after adding all of the necessary apps (no third party or shareware software), after a certain period of time the problem recurs. Could this be caused by a corrupt Photoshop file?
JG
Jim_Goebel
May 19, 2004
The Info Palette in Photoshop CS doesn’t display any values with any tool….on about 1/3 our Macs running 10.3.3…..all installed the same way. Are we missing something obvious???? Like a toggle to turn the readings on & off???
KB
Kevin_Brummer
Jun 1, 2004
I am running a G4 17" Powerbook with 10.3.4 and now my modifer keys stopped working. They worked just fine in 10.3.3 before the update over the weekend. Has anyone come up with a solution? Is anyone from Adobe reading this????
R
Ram
Jun 1, 2004
Did you Repair Permissions before and after the update? Have you tried trashing the Preferences files?
KB
Kevin_Brummer
Jun 1, 2004
It worked! Thank you. Repairing permissions did the trick after the update. (Trashing prefs did nothing)

Have you found any other bugs with 10.3.4 and CS yet?

-Kevin
R
Ram
Jun 1, 2004
Kevin,

That was not a bug. You are supposed to Repair Permissions before and after installing any software that requires the use of an installer.

You’re just lucky that it worked for you after the fact; often it does not.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 1, 2004
<< The Info Palette in Photoshop CS doesn’t display any values with any tool….on about 1/3 our Macs running 10.3.3…..all installed the same way. Are we missing something obvious???? >>

Jim:

You are missing a required font!
Put "Geneva" back into your System/Library/Fonts.

[And do check out the FAQs from time to time too!]
KB
Kevin_Brummer
Jun 1, 2004
Why is this not automated during an install?
I’ve never heard of this until now.
Granted I’m not a computer whiz, but I’ve been around long enough to do simple updates.

If this is manditory, I think it should be scriped into the install software or under the software updater.

So I need to do this before & after every update on every piece of software, I assume?
R
Ram
Jun 1, 2004
Kevin,

Yes it’s mandatory.

This is something that is coming up surprisingly frequently, so later this evening I’ll post a more detailed response with links to the Apple site. Hopefully it can go into the FAQs. In the meantime, don’t argue; just do it. 🙂
R
Ram
Jun 1, 2004
And, no, it can’t be scripted, precisely because it is a Permissions things.
J
jonf
Jun 1, 2004
Couldn’t the install process include a dialog explaining this, though, in the same way you’re warned to turn off all other software or that you’ll need to re-start after an install? Sounds like this is fairly important.
R
Ram
Jun 1, 2004
jonf,

Yes, Apple could be doing a lot more to inform OS X users about many things. It doesn’t help us much to complain here, though.
R
Ram
Jun 1, 2004
OK, I’ve added a new topic just on this subject:

Ramón G Castañeda "Repair Permissions BEFORE AND AFTER installing software (for the FAQs?)" 6/1/04 3:26pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>
KB
Kevin_Brummer
Jun 2, 2004
Thanks for the info. . . and vent session.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections