No thumbnails available for jpegs in PS7, after downloading from Nikon PictureProject

LF
Posted By
Linda_Feltner
May 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use a Mac OS10.1.5, 1GB ram. I cannot see thumbnails showing the pictures I took using a Nikon D70, and written to hard drive by Nikon PictureProject 1.0. I have thumbnails on the finder, and also they are available when I try opening them in Freehand10. But, when I open Photoshop 7, and "Open", I see the list of numbered jpeg photos, but there are no thumbnails. The instruction manual says "Click Show Preview", but on my "Open" dialog box there is no "preview" under "Show".
I appreciate your thoughts.
Linda

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
May 11, 2004
Linda,

Do you have your Open dialog box set to Column View? (Just click on the icon with the vertical stripes inside the Open dialog box.) If you do, you should view the preview images when you select Open from the file menu (Command O).

If you are set to List view (icon with horizontal lines) , you will not see the previews.
LF
Linda_Feltner
May 11, 2004
Thank you, Ramon.
I don’t seem to have that option available. I usually have my desktop finder set to the Column View, and that is the style it appears in the Open dialog box from Photoshop7. There are no icons available for me to select from, either List view or Column view. I get preview thumbnails from any other jpeg I click on even in the same folder.

I opened one of the new files and "saved as" a jpeg. and it has a preview icon, and shows a thumnail like it normally would. But, this is not my first option when I have a ton of images to look through. I would think Photoshop would preview a jpeg file.

Perhaps my version doesn’t give that option.
Thank you,
Linda
R
Ram
May 11, 2004
Linda,

Perhaps my version doesn’t give that option.

Well, it’s not your version of Photoshop. I just fired up Photoshop 7 both in Classic and in Panther, and the previews are available in both, just as in Photoshop 8 under Panther.

It sounds like your Nikon files do not have an embedded preview or something like that. Nikon software is not nearly as good as Nikon photo gear, to put it mildly.

Have you tried forgetting about the Nikon software and using a card reader instead? They can be as inexpensive as under $10 nowadays. That way you don’t even need to use the camera to transfer the image. Just plug in your CF card reader through its USB connection to your Mac (FireWire card readers are much faster but cost a little more, about $50) and it appears as just another drive. Then you just drag your image files to whatever destination you want.
R
Ram
May 11, 2004
Incidentally, if I were you I’d update the OS X ASAP. Panther is far superior, Cheetah (10.0 to 10.1.x) was awful, and Jaguar (before 10.2.8, or at the very least 10.2.6) was only a little better. Panther 10.3.3 is much better.
B
Buko
May 11, 2004
Its probably the system 10.1.5.

Linda this was an Advanced Beta at best. time to upgrade to Panther
LF
Linda_Feltner
May 11, 2004
Thanks to both of you.
I put off upgrading bcause I heard unsatisfactory reviews of OS10.2, and was told my older SCSI HP 11×17 lazerprinter wouldn’t work with the upgrades. Something about printer drivers wouldn’t work or it can’t recognize the ppd. I can’t do my work without it.
It’s very curious why PS7 won’t operate like the instruction book says it will, within the tolerances of 10.1.5, as it recommended.

But as you say, Panther has turned out to be highly recommended.

I may get a card reader as a band-aid measure for now, and face the consequences of upgrading shortly thereafter.
Many thanks,
Linda
R
Ram
May 11, 2004
Linda,

That’s a slightly different subject. If you scan the Adobe Mac forums and the Apple discussion boards, you’ll see that at least 95% of printing problems that Mac users experience involve HP printers.

I still think it’s the Nikon software giving you grief here.
LF
Linda_Feltner
May 11, 2004
Dear Ramon:

Yes, it’s a whole new bag of worms, that I’m not sure I want to face right now. I remembered why I didn’t upgrade to Panther before, there was an incompatability with my firewire backup drive, to where I would have to erase the 80 gig backup before installing Panther.

I think you’re right about the Nikon software. I also have a Coolpix 995, and the software that uploads it is also Nikon, and I’ve had absolutely no problem with the jpeg files showing thumbprints. Apparently PictureProject overrides that software, for I can’t call it up when I plug in the Coolpix. If I could find the original disk that it came on, I’d like to see if it would handle the images any better than PictureProject. But I can’t even find the name of it, it must have been erased somehow.

Thank you again,
Linda
LF
Linda_Feltner
May 11, 2004
Ramon:
FYI
I called Nikon tech support to confirm that PictureProject apparently erased my old version of Nikon view. I dumped PictureP and reinstalled Nikon view as well as the upgrade. The thumbnails appeared immediately.

Your assessment that Nikon software had a great deal to do with the way it makes thumbnails was right. The two programs work very differently.

Thanks so much,
Linda
R
Ram
May 12, 2004
Well, at least Nikon tech support came through. I’m glad you straightened it out.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections