B
Posted By
BillJ
Sep 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After quite a few months of not using my 2-year-old Nikon Coolscan 4000ED slide scanner, I have a bunch of slides to scan. But it is very unstable: much of the time the scanning process fails, and whatever application I’m using to scan crashes. In the past I routinely scanned from within Photoshop at 4000 ppi at 14-bit and with Digital ICE turned on, with no problem.

Now, If I start Nikon Scan 3.1 as the Import plug-in in Photoshop, I get the error message box: "Adobe Photoshop: Photoshop.exe – Unable To Locate Component: This application has failed to start because DJpegDll.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." I can click OK and go through the Preview scan fine, but when I do the actual scan, I get the message box "Adobe Photoshop: Could not complete the Import command because of a problem with the acquisition module interface" when the scan is about 90% complete. The Nikon Scan interface won’t close until I close Photoshop.

If I try scanning with SilverFast Ai v6.1 as a standalone via SilverFast Launcher, I get this error message box twice when starting it up: SF Launcher v.2.0.1: SF Launcher.exe – Unable To Locate Component: This application has failed to start because DJpegDll.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." (What IS this pesky file?) I click OK and SilverFast seems to come up fine, it handles the

preview fine, all the settings fine, but when I actually scan, it crashes, advising me to "Please tell Microsoft about this problem."

If I try scanning with SilverFast Ai v6.1 as a Photoshop plug-in, I get this error twice: "DDE Server Window: Photoshop.exe – Unable To Locate Component: This application has failed to start because DJpegDll.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." I can do the scan preview, but when I do the actual scan, Photoshop disappears completely halfway through the scan with no warning.

At this point, the only thing that works is if I use the Nikon Scan standalone and I have to be careful to leave the gamma setting in the LCH Editor alone. But more often than not, it crashes, leaving me with the screen that lets me send/not send the details to Microsoft.

There are only a few references to DJpegdll.dll on Google; half the pages are in German, the others

point me to scanner-drivers.com. That site says this file is a driver for a Primax model "TINY FU621D", whatever that is.

Needless to say, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both Photoshop and Nikon Scan (latest release). I even used the Nikon RegSweeper.exe after I uninstalled Nikon Scan to get rid of old registry settings.

I do see a "DJpegDll.dll" file under C:\windows\twain_32 and also under C:\windows\twain_32\Nikon\Nikon Scan, so I don’t know where this file is supposed to be for whatever application is looking for it.

I’ve tried the Adobe Knowledge Base, but I get the same irrelevant 47 query matches no matter what I search on, whether it’s "coolscan" or "djpegdll" .

I’m running a
Polywell Poly 880K7 ASUS-A7M266 DDR Athlon ATX MB w/Audio, AMD Athlon XP 2000+ CPU 256K Cache 266FSB,
1 GB 266MHz DDR unbuffered Memory (PC2100),
Western Digital 100GB Ultra-100 IDE partitioned 40/60, with 4 GB and 9 GB free, respectively, Matrox Millenium G550 Dual AGP /32M DDR DVI-out video card, Windows XP Pro.

Could the problem be strictly software related, or is it possible the problem could be something faulty inside the scanner? I haven’t contacted Nikon yet, since it takes over a week for a reply. Any help from other Nikon 4000ED and Photoshop users would be greatly appreciated. I’m all out of ideas.

Bill

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

H
Ho
Sep 9, 2003
Nikon Scan is unstable when scanning into PS; it works best as a stand-alone. Some users have reported problems with Silverfast as well. Try ViewScan @

<http://www.hamrick.com/>

Although it has a difficult user interface it produces better results that Nikon Scan, in my experience.
P
Phosphor
Sep 9, 2003
It’s the Nikon software (I have a 4000ED on my desk…). Please report it to Nikon (in the hope that they’ll eventually fix it).

In the meantime, scan using the stand alone app, or VueScan.
B
BillJ
Sep 9, 2003
I tried VueScan some time last year, and, true, I didn’t like the interface that much. I may try that again. But why has the Nikon Scan plug-in become so terrible? That’s what I can’t figure out.
B
BillJ
Sep 9, 2003
Chris,

Have you gotten similar errors to mine when you use Nikon Scan? Do you use Hamrick’s VueScan?

Thanks,
Bill
P
Phosphor
Sep 10, 2003
Bill – on Windows and Macintosh I didn’t get missing DLL errors, but did get a lot of crashes.

For your specific error message, it sounds like something is seriously hosed with the driver. But you’ve already reinstalled, so I don’t know what else to suggest.
B
BillJ
Sep 10, 2003
Previously at WORST, the Nikon Scan plug-in would crash after I did about 15 to 20 scans in a row, but nothing like this.
H
Ho
Sep 10, 2003
Bill,

VueScan is always a work in progress. Ed releases so many updates that one cannot keep track. However, the current incarnation is capable of being calibrated using IT8 targets, and, even without calibration, produces better results than Nikon Scan. This is especially true in areas of heavy shadow, where NS tends to posterize badly. For user to user help with VS, try here:

< http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&a mp;safe=off&group=comp.periphs.scanners>
B
BillJ
Sep 10, 2003
Ho,

Thank you very much for your information and your link to this resource.

I had only noticed a few times some posterization in shadow areas, but I have otherwise been amazed sometimes at how much shadow detail could be pulled out of underexposed areas in a slide — or at least thought I was amazed, until I started working with 16-bit RAW images from my DSLR. After that, scanning is such a nuisance.

Bill

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections