J
Posted By
joesporleder
May 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am running Photoshop 7.01 on MacOS X 10.3.3 on a PowerMac G4 with 2GB of RAM. I also run Adobe Acrobat Professional 6.0 on the same machine. Monday sometime, Photoshop decided it didn’t want to open any new file, EPS, JPG, PDF are the ones I’ve tested so far, that it hasn’t already opened. We get many JPGs from advertisers, some EPS from our artwork service, and sometimes we need to open them in Photoshop and convert them to another format and/or modify for our workflow and color needs. If it is a file that Photoshop has already opened and saved itself, I can still open those files. However, a fresh JPG that an advertiser sent from email, Photoshop says "Could not open file because of a program error". I’ve tried restoring from a backup of Photoshop I had on my iBook. I’ve tried dumping any Adobe application support files I could find installed in my main system library and user library, dumping preferences, etc., reinstalling Photoshop from scratch, and nothing has worked. Is there something else in my system that may be causing Photoshop to go wacky? It seems this all started about the same time that Photoshop was attempting to download updates, and complained about not being able to connect to the Internet. Other applications were using the Internet at that time, so I do not see how it could have been down. However, shortly thereafter, Photoshop started having the problem of opening "new" files. Any other options short of doing a clean MacOS X install?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 5, 2004
The problem-file came over the internet?

The file itself could easily be corrupt.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 6, 2004
Try resetting your preferences.

And if it’s really just one file (or a few files), I’d like to get copies of those files — Photoshop should give more informative messages for file reading errors.
J
joesporleder
May 6, 2004
FIXED! After some careful investigation with preference files, it turned out that the preference file "com.apple.print.PrintingPrefs.plist" was the culprit. Take that file out of my preferences folder, Photoshop goes back to its normal happy self, put the file back into preferences and Photoshop gets crabby when trying to open any file that it hasn’t already touched.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 6, 2004
Wow – that was a good find.

I didn’t even think about Apple’s prefs causing the problem.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections