M
Posted By
Mahatmacoat
Sep 9, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know this has been discussed to death (so perhaps someone somewhere can provide an upgrade) but if I could just get a simple answer I’d be very Grateful (as opposed to creatively Dead).

I’m still working in OS9.2 with Photoshop 7 while I try to find a way to work in CS2 on my G5 in OS10.4.7 (big mistake upgrading to 4.7 but we all know that). I found a temporary fix which I’ve now forgotten (may have been disconnect my internet connection but that’s always a smart thing to do as far as productivity goes in a work environment!). Anyway, I can’t open anything… I get a "program error" message. I’ve purged my plists and trashed my prefs but nothing seems to work.

Can anyone provide a simple solution with the accent on "simple"?

I continue to look forward to someday working in OS 10.4. Oh, and did I mention the problems with Quark 7? Sorry, wrong forum…. that’s a whole ‘nother can of parasitic worms!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MB
Martin_Bergstrom
Sep 11, 2006
Quit Photoshop, go to *home*->Library->Caches and throw away the folder "Adobe". Start Photoshop again se if things are better.
B
Buko
Sep 11, 2006
Does Photoshop work in a new user?

have you run Diskwarrior or fsck -fy in single user mode?

There is nothing wrong with 10.4.7
MB
Martin_Bergstrom
Sep 12, 2006
In fact there is something wrong with 10.4.7 — it has some bugs here and there — otherwise we wouldn’t see 10.4.8 within a month or so. 🙂
B
Buko
Sep 12, 2006
Sigh
MB
Martin_Bergstrom
Sep 12, 2006
Pat
B
Buko
Sep 12, 2006
(big mistake upgrading to 4.7 but we all know that).

and what was big mistake? this is what I would like know.

was it the fact that Apple fixed the printing issue it screwed up in 10.4.6?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 12, 2006
in fact there is something wrong with 10.4.7 — it has some bugs here and there

Not on my machine.

If you are having a problem with 10.4.7, it is because of the way that you installed it.

First, run DiskWarrior to clean up your HDs.

I suggest that you do a fresh Archive & Install of Tiger from your original DVD followed by downloading Apple’s COMBO 10.4.7 to your Desktop and then installing it from there.

Do NOT attempt to use "Software Update" for this purpose.

And remember to run "Repair Permissions" before and after installing each piece of software.
JS
John_Sunier
Sep 13, 2006
My program error is a bit different: only when I try to SAVE a jpeg file, not open it. I tried a page link that came up on instructions, but it had to do with printers and I don’t have a problem there, and also the page couldn’t be found. I suspected this was a 4.7 problem… If I cannot save graphic files anymore my publication web site will fail.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 13, 2006
Tell us a bit more about where the JPEG came from; what it contains; or how it was made; How you are trying to save it; and where.

And what then happens?
R
Ram
Sep 14, 2006
John,

One of the reasons you should look at your printer list is that any printers listed there but not physically connected to your machine WILL cause problems.
R
Ram
Sep 14, 2006
Click here <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50@@.2cd06cd9> for advice on how to ask your question correctly for quicker answers. Thanks!
J
jimpollock
Sep 14, 2006
i’ve been running Photoshop CS (version 8) for a LONG time just fine on my PowerBook with 10.4.7. Suddenly today, anytime I try to open a file or create a new document I get
"cannot create new document because of program error"

What gives?

I have deleted the Adobe cache folder
I have deleted the Photoshop preferences

Same problem. Can’t open or create a file. The only new change is that I installed the new ITunes 7 and QuickTime today.

Jim
R
Ram
Sep 14, 2006
Please read post # 7, as well as the one below this one.
R
Ram
Sep 14, 2006
I still advocate Repairing Permissions before AND after any system update or upgrade, as well as before AND after installing any software that requires an installer that asks for your password.

I have seen software installations go sour because the installer did not find everything as and where it should be.

I have also seen software installations go bad because the installer did not clean up after itself properly and did not leave everything as and where it should be.

This is just my own personal opinion and practice based on my own observations. Others may disagree and that’s OK. I can only base my routines and my advice to others on my own experience and conclusion. I don’t pretend to know why others believe otherwise.

Repairing Permissions after the fact (i. e. not immediately before and after an install) may NOT help.

====

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended by Apple, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.

Cron Scripts are maintenance routines designed by Apple to run on a daily, weekly and monthly basis in the middle of the night.

If you don’t run them, you WILL run into trouble, sooner rather than later.

Here’s an excerpt from the Apple tech doc <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107388>

Mac OS X performs background maintenance tasks at certain times if the computer is not in sleep mode. If your computer is shut down or in sleep at the designated times, the maintenance does not occur. In that case, you may want or need to run these manually.
Mac OS X periodically runs background tasks that, in part, remove system files that are no longer needed. This includes purging older information from log files or deleting certain temporary items. These tasks do not run if the computer is shut down or in sleep mode. If the tasks do not run, it is possible that certain log files (such as system.log) may become very large.
Also, from: <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106978>

The disk activity generated by find is a normal part of file system maintenance, used for tasks such as removing invisible temporary files that are used by the system. It is scheduled to occur early in the morning at 03:15 everyday, 04:30 on Saturdays, and 05:30 on the first day of each month.
B
Buko
Sep 14, 2006
otherwise we wouldn’t see 10.4.8 within a month or so.

10.4.8 I’ve heard is supposed to have a fix for Rosetta which has a decimal place bug.

Jim, read post #2
J
jimpollock
Sep 14, 2006
Thanks, Buko.

Got it fixed.

First, i went back to my older PS 7.0 which is still installed and ran it. It had the same error and couldn’t open or create a file.

Then ran MacJanitor to fix permissions etc. (PS still failed after this step). Then downloaded and reinstalled QuickTime 7.1.3. Fixed everything. PS 8 (CS1) opens and creates files with no problem.

So appears to be a QuickTime installation problem, probably related to repaired permissions.

Thanks! This was frustrating!

Jim
JS
John_Sunier
Sep 14, 2006
On "program error" warning = jpegs are CD cover art, 1.5 inches, 72 dpi which I just scanned or a writer sends me via email already scanned.Just saving it to desktop or perhaps a folder. I have discovered that twice now quitting Photoshop Elements 3.0 and reopening it corrected the problem. Today it is working OK, go figure!
[OSX 10.4.7, 1.8 gHz iMac G5, 768 MB RAM, lots of disc space]
R
Ram
Sep 14, 2006
quitting Photoshop Elements 3.0

John, you hadn’t mentioned you’re running Elements. That’s a different program and it has its own dedicated forum. Not too many users on this forum are that familiar with Elements.

CLICK HERE for the Elements forum. <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.eeb4f8b/>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections