Posted By
Brooke_Clarke
Nov 11, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi:

When I try to save a file in .jpg format this error shows up. In some of the other forum messages saving to the desk top worked, but not for me. I don’t understand the permissions issue, is that set in PS7 or somewhere else?

I tried a few other formats (tif, gif, png) and they worked OK.

Thanks,

Brooke Clarke

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
Nov 11, 2008
try resetting the preferences per the FAQ.
BC
Brooke_Clarke
Nov 11, 2008
Hi Dave:

You didn’t give a URL to the FAQ.

I found:

How to delete/reset Photoshop preferences
<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ef4a07f/0>

and this one:
Functions, filenames, and locations of preferences files < http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=31 2917&sliceId=2> and this one:
Troubleshoot system errors or freezes (Photoshop 7.x, CS on Windows XP) < http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=32 6146&sliceId=1>

Is one of these what you are meaning by FAQ? Note searching for FAQ gives all the topics where it’s mentioned in the body. Is there a way to search on just the subject?

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 11, 2008
The FAQ are right here at the top of the forum!

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ee747eb/>
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 11, 2008
what john said. the correct one is your first link brooke.
BC
Brooke_Clarke
Nov 11, 2008
Hi:

Tried <CTRL><SHIFT><ALT> while launching PS7, but instead of a window asking about deleting the preference file a Properties Window opens and nowhere on any of the three tabs or on the Advanced settings in those tabs did I see an option of deleting the preference file.

Searching for .psp found file Adobe "Photoshop 7.0 Prefs.psp" which I renamed and when PS7 started it asked questions about color so that part worked. But still get the same error message when trying to save a .jpg file.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 11, 2008
point taken john… thx. 🙂

brooke, suggest you try reinstalling photoshop.
JW
John_Waller
Nov 12, 2008
The FAQ are right here at the top of the forum!

Some of us prefer NNTP access to these forums.

The location of the FAQ is not obvious from a newsreader.

Regards

John Waller
BC
Brooke_Clarke
Nov 13, 2008
Hi:

Used Add Remove Programs to remove PS7 and rebooted. Using Find in regedit finds many instances of "photoshop". How to clean the registry prior to a reinstall of PS7?

Have Fun,

Brooke
BL
Bob Levine
Nov 13, 2008
BC
Brooke_Clarke
Nov 14, 2008
Hi Bob:

I used CC Cleaner on The registry and it found many more items than I did by searching for "photoshop".

Then made a new WIN XP user "Program Install" with (default) administrator privileges but the install failed from the CD and from the hard drive, so used Safe Mode install (which required PS2 mouse and keyboard) and this worked.

When I rebooted into my normal user and started PS7 I got the message suggesting I use a separate physical drive for the PS7 cache and Windows cache. But then the PS7 window opened but all the small windows that normally open on the right for a new install were not there, i.e. it looked like how I left it.

But the key thing is that I still can NOT save a .jpg file. Same error message as in my message that opened this thread.

Any ideas on how to get PS7 to work?

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Nov 14, 2008
Another fix is to rename the file.
BC
Brooke_Clarke
Nov 14, 2008
Hi Lawrence:

I renamed a file and loaded it into PS7 then tried save as and changed both the file name and the extension from .tif to .pdf, but it failed with the same error message.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
BL
Bob Levine
Nov 14, 2008
I’m afraid at this point I have to go back to your first post here…I have very strong doubts about the validity of your copy of Photoshop but there’s a pretty sure way to test it.

Did you download and install the 7.0.1 update? If not, do it now. If the updater errors out and says it can’t find Photoshop 7.0 then there’s a 99.99% chance that you have a pirated copy.

If it works, then it may just fix whatever the problem is.

Bob
BC
Brooke_Clarke
Nov 14, 2008
Hi Bob:

I installed the 7.0.1 Update in Safe Mode without a hitch.

Ran PS7 in safe mode. When opened the startup series of windows and the way the small windows open to the right of the main window were the normal startup sequence, so this feels much better. But get the same error when trying to save as .jpg.

Can I pay Adobe to help me?

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
BC
Brooke_Clarke
Nov 14, 2008
Hi:

I called Adobe Tech Support (sounds like in India) but they will not help me, even for money.

They could not suggest a third party who I might pay for help. Maybe someone on this forum knows of a third party that can help? So far PS7 is useless to me if it can not save as .jpg.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
BC
Brooke_Clarke
Nov 14, 2008
Hi again:

In order to rule out a conflict with some other WIN XP application I did a clean boot and then ran PS7. The same error occurs when trying to save as .jpg. It’s not a WIN conflict, but something wrong with PS7.

Is PS7 compatible with WIN XP SP3 or do I need to downgrade my WIN XP to a lower level?

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
BC
Brooke_Clarke
Nov 14, 2008
Hi:
————SOLUTION—————-

I think I’ve found the problem and bug workaround.

PS7 can NOT "save as…" a .jpg file! .jpg should not be listed in the drop down box. This is a PS7.0.1 bug.

PS7 can "save for web…" a .jpg file!
Found this via Google on a MAC related web page, so the problem is platform independent.

Having Fun,

Brooke Clarke
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 14, 2008
PS7 can NOT "save as…" a .jpg file!

Oh yes it can!

But it should be RGB and 8bit.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections