ED
Posted By
Emeril_Darose
Oct 7, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a photograph I took one day, that I have cropped. What I am tring to find out if there is a place in the forums that I can post it. It is not one of my better pjotos, but I would like to get some comments on it.

What’s bad, what’s good about it and any suggestions on how to improve it. Some of you know that I am just getting back into photography, after 20 years and the old eye isn’t as good as it use to be. Any sugestions of where it could be posted (free), I felt that the people here have been using the digital darkrooms for a bit, and have been doing photography for years. It also appears that some of the old pros frequent this site and might have some good input.

Emeril

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JF
Jodi_Frye
Oct 7, 2003
to post an image you need webspace. Generally your isp will give you some free webspace with your account. Then you’ll need an FTP program ( there are free ones to download off the net ) to upload your images with. Then you’ll post the url link of your webpage image to show us.

OR

You can send it to me and I’ll post it for you…as long as it’s not too large ( I’m running out of free webspace );)
PD
Pete_D
Oct 7, 2003
Emeril,

A lot of users here use PBase.com. They have a 30 day FREE trial period where you can post pictures. Some of us have put up simple web sites so we can post pictures as most ISP’s provide some web space and simple instructions (sometimes simple) on how to put it together.

If neither of those suggestions appeal to you e mail it to me and I will put it up for you.

Pete
ED
Emeril_Darose
Oct 7, 2003
My internet provider does allow me to set up a web page but I don’t know the first thing about setting one up. Ask me to build you a computer system from scratch (hardware) no problem, but a web site (what’s a web site, lol)I’m lost. I guess we each have our own talent, well as they say never to old to learn. I’ll see what I can come up with, but by then your great great grand children will be retiring.

Emeril
PD
Pete_D
Oct 7, 2003
Emeril,

You may not know; If you want Jodi’s or my e mail address to send that photo just click on either of our names and e mail address will be listed there. On my e mail address you must remove the word "nospam" 🙂

Pete
G
grafical
Oct 7, 2003
Emeril, & anyone else –

the http://digiart.graficalicus.com image galleries are there for this very purpose – you can upload images, Flash, applications, pdf documents, etc. etc. to a friendly, FREE community with no ads, no pop ups, no nothin’ except your images. The only payback is that you participate in commenting, rating & communicating with other artists, experienced or not –

We’re running monthly challenges (the current one is "orange") as well as over 50 different galleries to display your projects.

Check it out here: http://digiart.graficalicus.com and there’s more info on the sister site http://www.graficalicus.com/InvisionBoard/index.php in the digiart.graficalicus.com image galleries forum. The site has only been up for about 3 weeks, and already generated a LOT of interest around the web (I’m so proud…!). Lots of hits, lots of links – be sure to add your weblink in your profile to get some good traffic.

Another plus of this gallery, as opposed to many others, is that you, the contributor, have control over comments, ratings, etc., and you also have the option to delete or edit your uploads at will. It’s not like you upload it, and it’s there at the mercy of some webmaster somewhere. If you want to remove it from the gallery, one click by you & it’s gone.

Hope this isn’t spam – it’s really not intended to be! This is sort of a "community service" webplace to show off your work or get opinions & advice from others – stop by & see what’s there, and sign up & upload if you feel like it – !

I have a photograph I took one day, that I have cropped. What I am tring
to find out if there is a place in the forums that I can post it. It is not one of my better pjotos, but I would like to get some comments on it.
What’s bad, what’s good about it and any suggestions on how to improve it.
Some of you know that I am just getting back into photography, after 20 years and the old eye isn’t as good as it use to be. Any sugestions of where it could be posted (free), I felt that the people here have been using the digital darkrooms for a bit, and have been doing photography for years. It also appears that some of the old pros frequent this site and might have some good input.
Emeril
ML
Marty_Landolt
Oct 7, 2003
PETE D,
REALLY! I never knew you could click on a name for their email address. I just sent Jodi a message yesterday that the Demon ate up.
I guess I had the wrong address, I’ll click on her name and see. ALSO, I have put one, actually two, pictures on PBase. One is a repeat and I wanted to delete it…couldn’t figure out how. Then I tried to put a few more ON and darn if I could do that. What’s with me, anyway?
Marty
ML
Marty_Landolt
Oct 7, 2003
GRAFICAL,
Golly, I don’t need any more challenge or even any more forum….but, why then did I sign up for your forum. Hec, I couldn’t even find a place to submit an image. I did see and like lots of others’ images.
Marty
G
grafical
Oct 7, 2003
there’s an "Upload" button at the top right, in each & every gallery – just click it, and the rest should explain itself – hopefully! Any Q’s – hit the gallery forums @ <http://www.graficalicus.com/InvisionBoard/index.php>

Hope that helps!
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 7, 2003
Emeril, Go with Pbase, they have everything that a photographer could want. If you have questions, use their forum. Its a cinch. Start out with the free one, then you will want to upgrade. I use Pbase more than I do my puny websites. Pbase even is customizable. Just cruise thru the albums and you will see,,,,,,,,,,

Marty, Just go to their help section, or better yet, just go to EDIT and try stuff. Jane
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Oct 8, 2003
You don’t need a web page. Just ftp the pic in, and give the link as http://yourisp.whatever/…/yourimage.jpg

You probably won’t have to worry about permissions. If you do, then just give everyone read access. Most ISPs nowadays, I think, take care of this for you automatically. (so all you have to do is upload)

The only thing you need to know in advance is your username and password. It’s also possible that you might have to click around on some of your ISP’s webpages to "activate" your webspace. (some automatically don’t give it to you so that they can save the space, so you have to actually ask for it)

If you need help with ftp, or if you want to know of yet another person who is happy to post the pic for you (I have tons of space, so no problems there), e-mail me.
PD
Pete_D
Oct 8, 2003
OK here is Emeril’ s picture for all to see…

http://home.comcast.net/~peted1/wsb/html/view.cgi-image.html –SiteID-998537.html

Emeril, I reduced it to 72ppi so the web page would open faster.

Pete

(PS, if you are the Emeril that has a restaurant by that name in New Orleans I will expect a free appitizer. If not doing this just for the fun of sharing photo’s 🙂
PD
Pete_D
Oct 8, 2003
Oh and while you are taking a peek at Emeril’s picture you can see my newborn baby pineapple.
http://home.comcast.net/~peted1/wsb/html/view.cgi-image.html –SiteID-994409.html

Planted 15 pinapple tops about 7 weeks ago and one unexpectedly had a baby:) (I have half a dozen that are four times larger and been in the ground for almost 2 years that have not born fruit yet:(

Emeril’s;
http://home.comcast.net/~peted1/wsb/html/view.cgi-image.html –SiteID-998537.html

Pete
ED
Emeril_Darose
Oct 8, 2003
Pete;

Don’t I wish, but I’m just a labourer with a love of photograhy. But if your in Vancouver B.C drop me an email. I have managed to get a web site up, not much of one but I’ll work on it.

Thanx for posting the photo, I will be looking forwards to any comments on it. Good or bad I would like to hear them. As I said not one of my best, but kind of interesting I think.

The web site is <http://members.shaw.ca/Emeril_Darose>

It’s a start and should get better with time, just like using PSE2, I’ll learn.

Emeril
ED
Emeril_Darose
Oct 8, 2003
Well, as I said I got the web page up, have a few pictures there now. I wouls have never guessed how much space a few pics and pages would take up.

Pete I like your little counter and guest page setup you have maybe you can e-mail me some info on how to set those up.

Emeril

PS: I take it you like light houses. Me it’s sunsets and skyscapes.
PD
Pete_D
Oct 8, 2003
Emeril

Glad to see you got that web site started. Yes, Lighthouses, sunsets, beaches and birds are what I see in my view finder most of the time. As I have the time there will be more on my site (but I am not far ahead of you with web knowledge). As far as the counter; That is part of the software I am using.

Maybe Vicky can help you with getting your pictures posted individually, or,….. you know it is easy to create a web photo gallery with PSE.

Pete
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 8, 2003
Hi Emeril, Your page is fine, your pictures are lovely, you don’t even need Pbase.com. But you could start one anyway for extra space.

Hi Vicky, Pbase has made me lazy, so I sure better get going with a real page. I just renewed my .mac account, and that should be a start. I have purchased jcarter.net domain name but haven’t done anything with it yet. Must get a web host(I have narrowed my choices), and must get this thing on the road!
Thanks for the info,
Jane
G
grafical
Oct 8, 2003
Jane – I’ve been very happy with
http://www.blazingfast-communications.com/plans.shtml – haven’t found a better price anywhere, and support is top-notch –

FWIW….

<mike>
graficalicus web & graphics
www.graficalicus.com
wrote in message
Hi Emeril, Your page is fine, your pictures are lovely, you don’t even
need Pbase.com. But you could start one anyway for extra space.
Hi Vicky, Pbase has made me lazy, so I sure better get going with a real
page. I just renewed my .mac account, and that should be a start. I have purchased jcarter.net domain name but haven’t done anything with it yet. Must get a web host(I have narrowed my choices), and must get this thing on the road!
Thanks for the info,
Jane
ED
Emeril_Darose
Oct 8, 2003
Never even noticed the create a web photo album in the menu. I was to busy tring to find out how to fix and edit photos. I just took a look at the offerings they have there, some nice choices for albums.

Thanks Pete, I would have continued to try to lay out the photos in my word program, then ftp them to the site.

Emeril
DH
Dave Hamer
Oct 8, 2003
Emeril,

The area looking down from Broadway to False Creek would make excellent photos on a relatively clear day. I was last over September 8th in that area but didn’t pack the camera or I would have got the shots.

Dave
from Victoria
ML
Marty_Landolt
Oct 8, 2003
NANCY,
Sure hope you get ‘out from under it’ soon. I have to get my flu shot next week. Marty
PETE, Cut little tike…girl or boy?
ML
Marty_Landolt
Oct 8, 2003
EMERIL,
You must have had the tripod set up just by the bird feeder. I’d clean up and give the birdie a pleasant background…hmmm been too absorbed in housecleaning for a visit from my caughter.
Marty
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 8, 2003
Marty,

Huh?

"get out from under it" ??

Nancy
PD
Pete_D
Oct 8, 2003
Marty,

The newborn pineapple is …. hmmm I don’t know. I will have to go out and look under its leaves.

That is what you were referring to right? because if you looked at one of the other pictures there are a boy and a girl there, Sydney and John, both two years old.

Pete
ED
Emeril_Darose
Oct 9, 2003
Hey Marty;

Beleve it or not, that is in the wild (city). That is where they nested, it’s on a ship loader in the harbour here in Vancouver. The pic was taken with a 300mm zoom on my elan7, I can’t remember the settings.

I will post a photo of the loader and try to set an arrow in the pic to show where they nested. Yes I did use a tripod, as for cleaning the "feeder", when you se the other pic you’ll see why I would rather not try to clean it even if I could get up there.

The bird mess did make me wonder if maybe it would throw the photo off, but you know sea gulls they are not known to be the best house keepers. 🙂

Emeril
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Oct 9, 2003
You know what? If you like pbase, and if you don’t mind paying for it, then I see no reason why you need to work on a "real" page. 🙂 ….although I can see why you want to get cracking on something of your own if you’ve bought your own domain name. (always wanted to do that myself)

I’ve never used .mac. The thing that stops me is that I already have about 75 megs of space. I don’t even use that up! (when you consider that you can make a high quality jpeg for under a meg, and the fact that my html is super simple and only takes up a few K…) Of course, if I put my entire collection up, it would take many times more megs than what I have, but who on earth would ever want to flip through *that* much??? 😉 And besides, until I get a film scanner, there is *no way* that I’m going to sit here and scan each picture individually (or in groups and then use PSE to separate them, or whatever).

And BTW, my advice about just posting a link to the jpeg was for those times when you just want people to take a quick look at one pic. This is obviously not a good way to go about posting your collection for all the world to see.
ML
Marty_Landolt
Oct 10, 2003
NANCY,
I was referring to a statement you made sounding like you were catching a cold … I forget just what it was but people often say they feel ‘under the weather’ and such. Anyway, I hope you aren’t and that you feel grrrreat!
Marty
ML
Marty_Landolt
Oct 10, 2003
EMERIL,
I’ll be watching for the other picture. Did you get a "pbase" gallery? Oh yes, Emeril, I meant to say "cleaning house with Elements" but you can put on your wings and fly up to wherever and mop, dust, sweep ….
Marty
ED
Emeril_Darose
Oct 11, 2003
Marty;

My misunderstanding, but what do you expect from a newbe like me (blushes). Well I have improved the web page a bit, still working on it. If you get a chance take a peek.

I did not mean to offend anyone, if I did I apologize. I hope all of you will take a peek at my web page and let me know what you think. Just drop me an e-mail with any comments.

Emeril.
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Oct 11, 2003
I think the web page looks fine. Can you take out the stuff that you don’t need, though? I remember seeing some heading with "enter text here" under it, or something like that. It would be nice if you could just take that whole thing out, if you don’t intend to "enter text there." 🙂
RL
Richard_L_Hanlon
Oct 11, 2003
Emeril,
I think I know what you’re asking for: critique of the photo and ideas of how to improve it. These are just my ideas, and I’m sure others will diagree with me (at least I hope some do). I belonged to a camera club before, and these types of comments helped me improve my photography considerably.

The photo is a good one. If you’ve been a photographer before (hinted at in your posting), but only with film, then there’s lots of new abilities in the digital world. I’ve completely switched from film and doing my own dark room work to digital format because I can do better pictures now than before.

For example, on your photo, it would be quite simple to darken the background (esp. around the gull itself where its so light) and make the gull stand out considerably. Do this using layers. I’d also probably increase the levels of the babies themselves. The red beam could easily be increased just a tad in saturation.

I would probably crop it to a landscape format as well. There’s a lot of stuff at the top of the picture that really doesn’t add to the picture. Once its darkened, the items showing its location will not show up as well. It’ll just be dark "things" and you won’t be able to place the bird in its surroundings from the information in the picture. As such, elimenate the extra space.

If you’re new to PSE, I’d recommend the book "Photoshop Elements 2 Solutions" by Mikkel Aaland. If you ARE familiar with PSE, then I’d recommend Richard Lynch’s book, "Hidden Power of Photoshop Elements 2". Both books can help with layers tremendously. Richard’s gives a lot more info on cleaning up a photo, but is a lot more technical.

Richard
ED
Emeril_Darose
Oct 12, 2003
Richard;

You got the idea, I work the night shift and all of the photo clubs out here meet at night. So I have no one to critique my photos, and the old eye isn’t as good as it use to be. I feel that I can do better in my photos, when I look at some of them I feel that something is amiss. But I can’t put my finger on it, something is wrong and I am hoping that others might notice what it. That way I could improve the photo and pick up what needed in future photos to do this.

As for PSE, I have just started to use it and don’t know how to do alot of the editing. I don’t know how to isolate parts of the photos as you mentioned "increase the levels in the babies themselves" or increase the red beam a tad. I have just started tring to use layers, but don’t quite understand how to use them.

I apperciate your suggestions, and hope that others will have similar input as you have given me. This will help me improve my photos and retrain the old eye. Thank you.

Emeril
ED
Emeril_Darose
Oct 12, 2003
Vicky;

I am tring to nip that in the butt, I think I have gotten most of those little quirks. I am still working on them I think I have gotten rid of them, if you notice anymore that I may have over looked let me know. Thanks for the input, this is the type of info I was looking for, both you and Richard have the right idea. I’m sorry I didn’t explain it better when I started this topic.

Emeril
LK
Leen_Koper
Oct 12, 2003
Emeril, you feel "something is amiss".
My opinion: you really have a good eye for your subject; the red beams frame the image quite good, but the main thing that is "amiss" is probably that you don’t look what the light does with your subject. Try to find out how light can emphasize shape and structure of your subject, how light influences the way it stands out from the background etc.

If you continually practice looking at the world around you this way, you will enjoy more and become a better photographer.
Im photography often the subject is not the subject but the light is to be the real subject. (I’m rather proud of this sentence; everyone is allowed to quote me- it’s called: the first law of Leen) 😉

Leen
ED
Emeril_Darose
Oct 12, 2003
Leen;

Thank you for the input, the lighting in this photo was hard to adjust for. The location and the time of day did not help much. I did crop the picture so that the beams would frame them a little better. I thought that it might help a little. One of my big problems is I seem to get to much in the back ground. It’s the framing of the photos that I have the most trouble with.

I will quote you "In photography often the supject is not the subject, but the light is to be the real subject." Just to paraphrase that the lighting is the real subject. The people I have heard from, most of them state the the lighting needs to be changed, so the physical subject really pops.

I don’t know if you have seen my web page, I have other photos on line now. How about letting me know what you think, and keeping with the forum how I could improve them with PSE2. The web site is <http://members.shaw.ca/Emeril_darose/>

Hope to hear more from all of you.

Emeril
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 12, 2003
Hi Emeril, Great moon shot! What a fantastic full moon we just had, so beautiful. Jane
LK
Leen_Koper
Oct 12, 2003
Emeril, I just had a look at your website.
As far as I can see from the -until now- few images your website, you shoot when you think you see something that interests you. That’s OK of course. But so many shots suffer from neglecting it takes time to produce a stunning image, although opportunity has been there. You show this with a wonderful shot on your frontpage. Nicely lit clouds reflect in the water; this way both the clouds and the reflection are the subject of the image.
Your sunsets however show you were impressed by those nice colours, but there isnot really a subject to look at. Moreover, the lights in the forground are rather distracting.
Each time, before you press the shutter, try to imagine what still can be improved. Your images of the Canada Place show there is more. The evenly lit one is rather boring, but the other one starts to come alive due to the light reflecting on the roof. This gives the building a new dimension, it reveals an interesting shape. This is a much better image and probably it even could have still been better if you carefully consider at which time of the day it will be lit in a way the light would be a little more "wrapping around" these remarkable parts of the structure.

I hope I haven’t been too unkind to you; usually I do print critiques for professional photographers to professional standards and probably it isn’t quite fair to judge someone elses images the same way.

Nevertheless, from your images I suppose I could read you want more than the average familyshot. Don’t give up, go on because the best way to learn is by making mistakes. That’s the way I learned and I am still learning.

Leen
ED
Emeril_Darose
Oct 12, 2003
Leen;

No you have not been unkind, yes I do want more. A lot of the pictures are taken in the moment, and I have not had time to compose the shot. Most of the shots are taken at work when I get a moment, I work the night shift from 4:00 pm on.

I would love to be able to take more time to compose the shot. I am a little lost about the comment about the sunsets, the idea was to show the sunset and the color in the clouds. Any sugestions you may have on how to improve on the shots would be appreciated.

Which one are you referiing to when you mention the light in the forground were distracting. If you could mention the name of the photo you are refering to it would help.

As for wanting more then the average family shot, you got that right. I am struggling to get to the pro caliber, I have never been one for just a picture. Photographic art is what I plan to do in the future, I may be starting late but I’m hoping to get to a high enough caliber to publish my own book of photographs.

You say you print critiques on professional photographers, what mags or articals have you written for, so I can take looks at your articals.

Emeril
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Oct 13, 2003
Well I just went back and had a look, and it looks a lot better now. I noticed the "family stroll" pic. I like that one! Very cute!
LK
Leen_Koper
Oct 13, 2003
Emeril, I related to "sunset" and "twilight"; both images have distracting lights in the "foreground".

Usually I do my print critiques in front of an audience of pro photographers; mainly portrait and wedding photographers. Each year I ‘m coaching about a dozen of professional photographers towards international qualifications and doing a print critique on the images they bring is very helpful. They learn, not just only from their own images, but also from the ones brought in by the colleagues. Tonight I have to adress such an audience again. Next week I’ll be the judge in a professional print competition in Cambridge (UK). The standards are meant for full time professionals and it would be unfair to apply these to people who do photography as a hobby.

Sometimes I write an article for the UK magazine "The Photographer", published by the British Institute of Professional Photography, but you won’t find any text on the internet as it is a printed magazine.

You have set your goals rather high; publishing your own book is extremely expensive. But it is a good thing to aim for something in the future as it keeps you trying to improve your skills.

A good advice: print your best images, pin them in the wall and when they don’t bore you after three months they probably are OK.

Good luck,

Leen
ED
Emeril_Darose
Oct 13, 2003
Leen, I like your comment at the bottom of the posting. Some of my photos I have enlarged to 8×10 and have been hanging on my wall for about 6 months and they’re still there. Two of them happen to be the ones you mentioned.

There will be others posted on the web site soon. I am setting them up now as new gallaries and reqrganizing the old ones. I will take a look at the magazine called "The Photographer", there is a store here that has about 5 British photography magazines.

I have also signed up with the New York Institute of Photography and should be starting classes soon. As I said I don’t mind critique of my photos, and I’m breaking one of the first rules of professional photographers "Only show your best photos". I intend to post the good the bad and the indifferent on the web site, a few here and a few there. This way I can find out what others think, Photogarphy is an art, and like any work of art it is in the eye of the beholder.

The more input I can get the better. I will have to find a different forum to discuse the photos, I would not want to be removed from this forum because of being off topic.

Anyone who has taken a look at my web site, please feel free to e-mail me with your comments. I look forward to hearing from all of you.

Emeril
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Oct 13, 2003
wrote:
I will have to find a different forum to discuse the photos

When you find one, can you tell us where it is? I’m curious. Might be a neat place to learn from.
R
RobertHJones
Oct 14, 2003
When you find one, can you tell us where it is? I’m curious. Might be a
neat place to learn from.

Vicky and all,

Retouchpro has a forum specifically for critiques. Check it out at: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&for umid=150

You may want to see the other forums there as well:
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/

Bob
ED
Emeril_Darose
Oct 14, 2003
Ok people, I could not find one so I made one. It is a private and moderated forum, it is a place where we can disscuse our photos with others. If I had of known there were more people interested in this I would have tried to find one sooner. I also figgered that the people here would have known where to find one.

It is set up so that I can link it to your gallaries if you want, I have sent out a few invites already. You can reach the site by going to my web page at <http://members.shaw.ca/Emeril_darose/> in the content page there is a link under section 3 called photography forum click on that and join us. The membership is free and you will be signed up within 24 hours, as it is moderated. I hope everything works out in that forum, and I hope for a good response.

The only real requirement is input, input and more input, get involved, I will be tring to set up chat days also if things go good.

Emeril
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Oct 14, 2003
Thanks!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections