EJ
Posted By
Evan_Jones
Oct 7, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello, all. Here’s my problem: yesterday I opened up Photoshop Elements 2.0 and opened a jpeg. Just like the day before, except the image (and all others I tried) open in black and white. If I open the images in mac’s picture viewer, they are fine.
To top it off, the actual Photoshop INTERFACE is in black and white only. The little flower in the upper lefthand corner is gray not yellow.
I’ve trashed prefs, reinstalled, gone to base extensions, etc. Anyone ever seen this? Thanks,
Evan
G4 733
OS 9.2

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 7, 2003
Oh, my. This is a challenging one, isn’t it? This kind of sounds like a video card issue, even though I can’t come up with a good explanation of why it’s effecting Elements and not other apps, except for the fact Elements is probably the only color managed application. I didn’t think that applied to the interface, though! Have you posted on the Apple forum? The only other thing I can think of is checking for a update to your video card.

And are you sure you actually got the Preference folder dumped when you did that uninstall/reinstall? The old folder has to be taken out by hand, and if there’s a corruption there, a new install will just keep using the old folder. Try that one more time before getting drastic. As a matter of fact, close Elements and do System>Preferences and pull the folder out manually. Personally, I’m not always well enough coordinated to get it out using the keyboard shortcut.
EJ
Evan_Jones
Oct 7, 2003
The curious thing is that Elements was working fine a day ago, opening the same images. I’ll make sure I ditch my prefs.
Thanks.
Evan.

Anyone else?
BB
brent_bertram
Oct 7, 2003
My guess is you have a "hosed" monitor profile. You might try running the Adobe Gamma utility ( or another calibration and profiling utility ) and create a new monitor profile. It seems to be the most likely culprit, since everything you see on your screen in Elements ( and Photoshop ) is "adjusted" by the monitor profile to a calibrated state.

Ian Lyons Image Flow < http://www.btinternet.com/~ian.lyons/ps7-colour/ps7_color.gi f>

Ian Lyons has a fine tutorial on the Adobe Gamma Calibration at <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_2.htm> .

🙂

Brent
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 7, 2003
You could dump your current monitor profile and see if that clears it up. I’d thought of that earlier.
DS
Darby_Stone
Oct 8, 2003
Maybe this will help. Right after opening the image, check IMAGE>MODE and see if grayscale is checked. If Grayscale is checked–uncheck it<?> and check RGB Color.

And yes I have seen this before. It drove me nuts! 😉 Although seeing the interface in b/w–I have not seen. Is the icon in the dock in b/w?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections