Flatten File Size Puzzle: PS CS vs File Info??

T
Posted By
tonycmac
Apr 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am seeing a difference between what PS CS’ Document Size shows as a file size and what the Macintosh Finder Get Info shows for a flatten .psd file. Why would there be a difference?

It happens after I have increased the flatten file by Resampling (Bicubic) the ppi.

Example:

I resample the file from 360 to 720 ppi.
The Documet Size box shows 288/288MB – but Get Info and the Finder say the file is 159MB.

This is with a flattened file. In PS CS preferences, Max PSD compatibility is unchecked – though this shouldn’t matter with a flattened file.

Thanks for your help!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

J
JasonSmith
Apr 23, 2004
"The Documet Size box shows 288/288MB – but Get Info and the Finder say the file is 159MB’

…and your complaint is? 😀

Generally what photoshop shows is the actual pixel size of the file sans compresion.

The PSD format uses compression when saving files – so what photoshop shows as actual file size/dimension doesnt reflect the file size after it’s been saved/compressed.
R
Ram
Apr 23, 2004
As Jason points out, you’re comparing apples and oranges.

The Finder shows you the size of the compressed file; the size of the uncompressed image is a different thing.

It doesn’t matter what you have done to the image.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections