BJ
Posted By
Black Jack
May 3, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Everything seems to be working fine but then an error message pops up that "CS2 has a problem and has to close".

There is no one thing that I am doing to make this happen.

Sometimes it is after loading several files, other times it is when I go to print and another time when I go to close out a file.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
birdman
May 3, 2005
In any program, not just PS, this often means that two pieces of information have been assigned overlapping places in memory.
In part this is due to problems in the design of operating system (Win and MAC) and problems in the design of the particular program. If you have a much too small amount of memory in WIndows using PS this will happen regularly if the Windows swap/page file has to be frequently accessed (the page file is easily corrupted) but if you have 512mbs or more RAM the amount of RAM itself is not the issue (unless you are trying to simultaneously open and copy between several 100mb size image files). If you can place your PS swap file on a physically separate drive this may help also. Computer memory design is crippled by a reliance on a limited number of placeholders to tell the OS where objects are in memory. The less programs you have running in the background the more unadulterated memory will actually be available for the program you are using. Shut off all background programs including antivirus and firewall (Norton programs are notorious resource hogs) and use only Photoshop. It would be a rare computer set-up that does not noticeably improve Photoshop operations with background programs truned off.
L
LenHewitt
May 3, 2005
The first thing to do is to try trashing your prefs file – See the Forum FAQs
BJ
Black Jack
May 3, 2005
can you post a link? the FAQ is huge
J
johnkissane3
May 3, 2005
Deep down I think your serious. 🙁
DM
dave_milbut
May 3, 2005
<Bevis>Words mean stuff.</Bevis>
L
LenHewitt
May 4, 2005
It’s the 4th one down in the list…
BJ
Black Jack
May 4, 2005
that still didn’t correct it.

When I open a file and then minimize it then try to reopen it, I get the error message.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times.

I have a seperate internal HD dedicated to scratch disk, 70% RAM allocation.

I also have CS installed on this computer (with the same settings) and it works fine.
DD
Don_Doyle_1111
May 4, 2005
Black Jack,

The good news is that you aren’t alone. Unfortunately, I am having the same problem and have tried the same solutions as you.

CS2 is also installed on my Laptop with no problems.

I am running XP Pro and have tried all the same solutions and settings as you.

Here is what happens to me: I will open several images, delete a couple, work with one and minimize the other’s. When I am done working on the one image, I save it. All is usually OK. Then when I try to reopen a minimized image I get the error message.

It has also at times crashed when I tried printing but mostly when I try to open a minimized image.

When trying to analyze the info (which is almost impossible for me) I do find that it says it will also report a file. It is a documents & settings file – located in local settings – it has various prefixes but always mentions "_appcompat.txt" file.

Trying to address this with anyone at Adobe has thus far been impossible.

The standard reply is "give me your credit card number and we will decide if we are going to charge you or not". Not very good customer service IMO.

At least now I know that it isn’t only me having this problem. Do you suppose Adobe will "own up" to the problem?

Hopefully, there will be someone on this board that will help as Adobe doesn’t seem to care! Am I frustrated, you bet – but spending two days messing with this and absolutely no help from Adobe does not make me a happy camper. At least I got a reply from the NAPP help desk – but then again it didn’t resolve the problem.

Don
BJ
Black Jack
May 4, 2005
Intersting, what is NAPP? …I’m going to try a clean install of my os and see what that does
DD
Don_Doyle_1111
May 4, 2005
Black Jack,

NAPP is the National Association of Photoshop Professionals and is highly recommended. It is well worth the money for the magazine alone.

A clean install of your OS seems a bit extreme for me. I know my OS is fine so I am not about to go there. CS runs fine on my current system.

I am convinced that it is an Adobe problem and am just waiting for them to acknowledge and fix it.

Don
B
BobLevine
May 4, 2005
A clean install of your OS seems a bit extreme for me.

The original install was an upgrade. He’s got another thread going on about that.

Bob
DD
Don_Doyle_1111
May 4, 2005
Well, I hope someone can come up with a solution to this problem.

ADOBE – are you listening?

Don
DD
Don_Doyle_1111
May 14, 2005
Black Jack,

I think I found the solution. I made a new user account and everything appears to be working fine now.

It is a PITA having to have two user accounts but at least it is a work around. I would like to know what caused this to happen but will leave that for later.

Anyhow, just make a new user account and make sure to give it all privlidges and it may solve your problem.

Don

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections