S
Posted By
solar
Jul 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having a great deal of trouble with printing photos to a S9000 printer. Every photo comes out with a greenish cast to the print. I have changed setting all over and i cna find nothing that makes it go away. I know that the printer works becuase it has in the past. however, something has gone wrong.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this? And if so, how can I address the issue?

Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 24, 2003
Assuming that it is only happening in photoshop, and not a non-color managed application (like the Microsoft stuff), then it is likely a color management issue.

You need to create an accurate monitor profile, and have your settings right to send to the printer. I could explain it all poorly but you are better off going to Ian Lyons’ site below and be on your way in 15 minutes.

< http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7_print/ps7_print_mac.htm>

Peace,
Tony
S
solar
Jul 24, 2003
Thanks for your reply, and I had attempted to use this particular reference before with no luck.

The monitor profile is already set and i have created a color setting profile based off of a text as well as web resources. Still no luck at this point.

Within the manual settings, when would one use the ICM setting. I have seen some say to use it other not. I am a bit confused on this issue.

Also, do you know of a wewbsite that has designed printer profiles for a Canon S9000?

Thanks
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 24, 2003
Hmmmm… okay, opinion time until Ian or Lawrence jumps in (I think Lawrence has that printer).

First, I think you mean media profiles, not printer profiles. Media profiles wouldn’t, I suspect, solve your problem.

In regards to ICM, it’s hit or miss in terms of schools of thought. Here’s what *I* do to get great screen to print matching.

First, you should always use Print with Preview otherwise PS won’t use Color management. Your destination should be set to Printer Color Management. There’s some controversy surrounding this particular issue but Ian says, basically, unless you really, really, know your stuff, set it to Printer Color Management and be done with it. So that’s what I do.

Set your printer properites for "no color management", if that’s an option. If not, leave them at their default, non-ICM settings.

When I discussed this topic a while ago, with Ian and Chris Cox, my take on it was that setting it up this way, basically by passes any printer "acrobats" and PS sends the image, as is, to the printer which then basically prints it with no further tweaking by the printer driver.

If I have trouble (which is rare) with those settings, then I may start playing with the printer driver settings – ICM, Epson Natural Color, whatever your printer has.

If those settings still give you a pink cast, come back and let us know your document profile (sRGB, Adobe 1998, etc.).

Lastly, I wouldn’t mess with media profiles unless I knew EXACTLY what I was doing, and I don’t. Others may differ, but it’s rarely a solution to a problem like this, rather they are more of an enhancement.

That’s my two nickels anyhoooo…

Peace,
Tony
LH
Lawrence Hudetz
Jul 24, 2003
The S9000 should print well out of the box, with a small amount of color shift. The green you are seeing is due, I suspect, to the paper. Are you using the Canon glossy Paper Pro? If so, you are going to get a green cast. The cure? Switch papers.

Also, the paper settings in the print dialog box needs to be experimented with. I find that the matte setting is the most neutral. I don’t change from that even if I am not using matte.

Try Epson Enhanced Matte. Set the Media Type to "Matte", Print Quality to "Custom". Click "Set". Quality shoud be at "High". Also, set Halftonong to "Diffusion".

Now, go to Color Adjustment. Set it to Manual. Set Print type to either "Auto" or "Photo", Brightness too "Normal". Be sure that the "Enable ICM" is UNchecked, unless you are printing from the OS and not Photoshop. Leave all the sliders at Zero.

In the "Effects" tab, uncheck all check boxes. Ditto for Stamp/Backround tab.

Meanwhile, back at Photoshop, Set "Source Space" at "Document", "Print Space" to "BJ Color Printer Profile", "Intent", "Perceptual".

Now run a print and see what you get. Come back and we can talk more, if necessary

The S9000 runs remarkably well on it’s own profile. I do have a custom profile, but that is because I am primarily doing B&W. In spite of that profile, I have correction curves I call on to tweak the last little bit of color contamination from the print.

The references Tony made are for Epson printers. You won’t find them in the drop down lists for a Canon printer.

Good Luck.
LH
Lawrence Hudetz
Jul 25, 2003
….you are welcome, solar………

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections