C
Posted By
clivelgr
Sep 20, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What a steep learning curve – and how frustrating.
Until yesterday I had no trouble improving my photos with enhancement/ levels. Now, I can only get a solid black screen – instead of the usual histogram, and no graph. I’m not aware I’ve done anything different.
Win ME; 1400 megahertz AMD Athlon; 512 MB Ram.
Has anyone any idea what’s wrong?? Help!
Clive

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
Phosphor
Sep 20, 2003
First thing to try, since it was working yesterday, is to delete the Elements Preference folder. With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and make a quick grab for the Control, Alt, and Shift keys. Hold all three down simultaneously until you get a screen asking if you want to delete the Settings. Say Yes.

There’s something else tickling my brain about that black screen, too, but I can’t remember what it is. Repost and let us know if resetting the Preferences works or not. If not, we can hope somebody else will come by and remember whatever it is that I’m forgetting! Good luck. Oh, did you make any changes in your monitor/video settings?
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 20, 2003
Hi, Beth: I think you’re right on both counts. We’ve had some folks who had the black histogram that got it back with the delete/reset preferences, while others had to turn off acceleration and/or update their video card driver. In this case, I’d delete preferences first as you’ve suggested, unless there is knowledge of a change in video card driver.
C
clivelgr
Sep 21, 2003
Hello both,
Had tried the "delete Preference folder" several times – without any joy. I’ve asked so many guys for help I quite forget what info I’ve given, but in the last 2 wks I’ve had a new harddrive fitted and then my OS (Win ME) reinstalled, including video card driver. I only appear to have problems with PS and only in "levels". Haven’t made any changes to monitor/video settings.
Thanks.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 21, 2003
Clive, the video driver is a prime suspect. If you go into Control Panel<Display<Settings<Advanced<Performance and change Hardware Acceleration to None, then restart your machine, see if the Levels histogram comes back.

Chuck
C
clivelgr
Sep 21, 2003
Chuck, at the same time as you were posting I had reached the same point! Moved Acceleration to zero, but then set Display settings to 32bit, and everything worked!! Took my life in my hands and increased Acceleration to Max (leaving Display settings at 32 bit), and it still works!!. Incidently, Windows says that best driver is already installed etc
Thanks everyone.
Clive.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 21, 2003
Clive, I believe the 32-bit color setting is the fix I couldn’t remember – maybe next time I’ll be able to give that advice without quite so much shooting in the dark… Glad it’s fixed!

Chuck
P
Phosphor
Sep 21, 2003
And I think that’s what my brain was trying to pull up out of the darkness, too. It sounded so familiar as soon as you posted. Sorry Chuck and I remember only enough to be dangerous. 🙂
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 21, 2003
Beth…funny X-D

Ok, will we remember next time ??

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections