W
Posted By
wickedwillie
Jan 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m a newbie here…so hello. I’ve been using Elements 1.0 for quite awhile but all of a sudden Auto Levels and Auto Contrast stopped working correctly. Now when I chose either task my pic is covered with a reddish cast only. Any ideas where I go to straighten this out? I tried re-installing the PGM but it still does the same thing.
Thanks to all.
Bill

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 6, 2004
Whenever something that used to work right quits working, try this before an uninstall/reinstall – which doesn’t get the corrupted file anyway.

With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and make a QUICK grab for the (Win) Control, Alt, and Shift keys (Mac) Command, Option, and Shift. Hold all three down until you get a screen asking if you want to delete the Settings. Say Yes. A new preference folder will build as Elements continues to launch.

Getting to those three keys quickly enough is challenging for some people, so you could have your fingers on them before hitting the start icon.

If you delete the Settings/Preferences and the problem continues, please repost and let us know.

Good luck!
W
wickedwillie
Jan 6, 2004
Worked to perfection. Thanks.
Bill
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 6, 2004
Great! Keep this fix mind, because something similar might happen again!
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 6, 2004
The preferences seem to get corrupted every now and then … after a while you get to be an expert at deleting them.

Maybe for the next version of Elements they could put in a delete preferences icon 🙂 🙂

Wendy
RC
Richard_Coencas
Jan 6, 2004
Perhaps one of our brilliant engineers may figure a way to create a delete prefs icon, but the main problem is that prefs are overwritten on quit, so deleting while running won’t have the desired effect.

Rich
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 6, 2004
there are times when i should and don’t..delete prefs that is. Just today I clicked on a layer to move it and the bounding box showed up on another empty area of the screen altogether…I was thinking ‘ OK’ so I moved the box ( tried to ) and got the ‘no pixels selected’error. Tried again and the same thing happened…so I made a lasso selection around the layer and then was able to move it…go figure.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections