DZ
Posted By
Darryl_Zurn
Apr 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using Photoshop to import a PDF file so I can create a graphic file for use in a labeling program. The PDFs have some grayscale (placed AI EPS files) but they have lots of text that is being imported at 86% instead of 100% black. I have been messing around with the Custom Dot Gain in Color Preferences to avoid this and have gotten to 99% black by spoofing my dot gain, but I am wondering how I can completely turn off color management, including dot gain and gamma, so that 100% black in the PDF ends up as 100% black in the PNG file.

This is eventually going to be output on a Laserprinter, not a press.

I have not been able to completely disable color management, Photoshop’s "Color Management Off" still means "Not Much Color Management" when I want it to mean "OFF".

In importing the PDF, I’ve tried importing as grayscale or as RGB, but no joy. Back with Photoshop 4 or so I never had this problem, 100% imported as 100%.

Thanks in advance. I’ve scripted around this ink shift for a couple of years but I’m hoping that with the CS version can finally FIX this instead of work-around.

Darryl Zurn

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

N
Neumy
Apr 7, 2004
The workaround I’ve been using (for B&W only) is to separate the plates when creating the PDF. Discard the CMY plates (there shouldn’t be anything on them anyway) and print only the K plate.

I, too, would like to not have to use workarounds anymore.

I’ve noticed that when black is created using the 0/0/0/100 CMYK formula, the black plate shows 100% but the luminosity (as observed in PS) is about 93%. It also seems to print this way for me. I’m not sure why.

If black is chosen from the color swatch palettes, the luminosity shows K: 100% but the CMYK readings are 95/85/85/85.

If someone who’s really versed in color management can explain, that would be really helpful.

Neumy
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 7, 2004
It’s because when using procss inks, 0/0/0/100 CMYK is not actually black, rather it’s a dark grey.

Sarryl, what colour mode are you rasterizing the PDF in?
N
Neumy
Apr 7, 2004
Rene,

Forgive me if I seem obtuse, but…

So how do I ensure that my CMYK files come back from my service bureau without any "half-toning" in the black areas that should be solid? Especially in text?

I’ve noticed that my text comes back gray and not black, and rich-black for text really isn’t an option for me in most cases.

TIA

Neumy
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 8, 2004
So how do I ensure that my CMYK files come back from my service bureau without any "half-toning" in the black areas that should be solid? Especially in text?

1) If you get half-toning, then the black isn’t 100% black.

2) Converting your files to the same CMYK space that your service bureau works in will help getting more accurate colours.

3) Remember that the screen preview which shows you a dark gray where you have 0/0/0/100 CMYK may actually show black once printed. This depends on the CMYK profile of the output device, in other words, PS assumes process black which isn’t very black, while CMYK printers (lasers or inkjets or what have you) may have blacker blacks.

Darryl,

Just notice my typo in your name, sorry about that.
DZ
Darryl_Zurn
Apr 8, 2004
I’m trying to stay entirely in Grayscale. The PDF is imported as grayscale, I crop and make minor changes, then want to export to a PNG file. That PNG file is going to be Laserprinted, so I want 100% black, 100% white, and anything in between is grayscale.

I suppose that I will just be content with 99% black unless I add back in the "Replace Color" step in my scripting.

Thanks

Darryl

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections