K
Posted By
kahndav
Sep 5, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In converting JPEG images to a non-loss format, when the final goal is producing high-quality prints, what are relative advantages/disadvantages of PSD vs TIFF for purposes of editing and permanent storage?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CG
Curt Godfrey
Sep 5, 2003
PSD will better recreate layers and tools used, but… can’t be opened some non-adobe image applications (ie, TIFF is more universal.)
BB
brent bertram
Sep 5, 2003
To expand on Curt’s comments, I use TIF format for my Master image and final image, but frequently use PSD format during the image editting phase, because the PSD format, ( as Curt said), retains more of the editing information .

🙂

Brent
P
Phosphor
Sep 5, 2003
Many people find the "ultimate" solution is to save a layered version in psd and then save a flattened copy as tiff. Best of both worlds you might say.
As long as "you" aren’t only saving a flattened version 😉
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 5, 2003
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what layer information is not retained in TIFF? I’ve used TIFF almost exclusively, primarily because of the universality and the belief (mistaken, perhaps) that it saved layer info the same way that PSD did.

Chuck
RC
Richard Coencas
Sep 5, 2003
Starting with (I think PS6), tiffs could handle layers, but that doesn’t mean that other apps will be able to read them. I don’t think that there are anythings that a Tiff won’t support at this point (please, someone, correct me if I’m wrong). My problem is the sense of false security that now I can share this file. I know a PSD is native and therefore never send it to someone unless I know they have Photoshop, but a Tiff might go to someone who doesn’t have a recent version of Photoshop. Just my 2 cents.

Rich
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 5, 2003
Rich, I can live with that. I shot some pictures for an environmental group here and gave them a CD with the full-sized pix all in TIFF. Even if they can’t get at the layers, I’m assuming they’ll be able to use them in RGB printing applications whether they have PS or PSE. So far, it’s worked….the alternative might be to save as low-compression JPEGS (with all the layers flattened by that conversion).

Chuck

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections