BMP vs. TIFF vs. JPEG Which to use? see inside…

T
Posted By
Thebigonion
Feb 4, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve created a logo that is 7" x 5" at 300dpi, is there a preferred, or better compression to use to yield a better quality image when shrunk to fit on a business card etc?

Norm!!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
RSD99
Feb 4, 2005
For a logo … you should have used a VECTOR graphics program.

An example would be Corel Draw, or Adobe Illustrator.

"Norm!!" wrote in message
I’ve created a logo that is 7" x 5" at 300dpi, is there a preferred, or better compression to use to yield a better quality image when shrunk to fit on a business card etc?

Norm!!
X
xDsrtRat
Feb 5, 2005
You also might try putting it into a PDF. If you have access to InDesign, InDesign can use your PDF to resize without jaggies or other problems. I don’t know if a PDF is technically vector art, but it sure behaves like vector art!

"RSD99" wrote in message
For a logo … you should have used a VECTOR graphics program.
An example would be Corel Draw, or Adobe Illustrator.

Norm!!
EG
Eric Gill
Feb 5, 2005
"xDsrtRat" wrote in news:h9mdnX0z9rVYvZnfRVn- :

You also might try putting it into a PDF. If you have access to InDesign, InDesign can use your PDF to resize without jaggies or other problems. I don’t know if a PDF is technically vector art, but it sure behaves like vector art!

It can contain both. If it has nothing but pixels in it, it will break up like any other bitmap.
B
Broga
Feb 5, 2005
What sort of file are you starting with.?
Are you intending to print this yourself on an inkjet or take the design to a print shop ?
If you’re going to use a print shop you’ll need to ask them what sort of file they need.before you do anything.

If somebody has given you a jpeg and asked you to make a business card out of it then the results obtained by simply shrinking it are probably going to be disappointing.
If you’ve designed it in PS using layers, paths, shapes, vectors etc then the results will be better.

If it’s going to be a business card I assume it’s a fairly simple design so I would suggest that you try the following.
If it’s a layered Photoshop file keep it in layers and reduce it to the size you want.
Some layers might reduce ok – others do not and leave jagged edges Print out a couple of copies and see if you’re happy with the result. Try working on the individual layers at this size to see if it can be improved .

If not try going back to your original and convert as much as possible into shapes, paths and layers and try reducing it again
If that doesn’t work buy some vector based software and redo your design. —
www.micromountain.com

Norm!!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections