PS
Posted By
Peter_Sidell
Feb 13, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have encountered some (for me) confusing behavior. I have been working with both aperature and photoshop cs4. When I take a file from aperture to cs4, aperture creates a file with the extension.tiff. when I then save the file after working on it in photoshop it saves with the extension .tif. that is to say, Aperture uses 2 ‘f’s and photoshop uses 1 ‘f’ which results in two files. Is this related to option choice in the Tiff save panel or something anomalous with aperture.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Feb 14, 2009
A good question for the Apple Aperture forum.
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Feb 14, 2009
..tif (the three letter extension) is the correct extension

(too bad Apple is too stooopid to realize all file extensions should be a dot + 3 letter extension for cross=platform compatibility, ooooh, wait, maybe they do that on purpose).

:~)
R
Ram
Feb 14, 2009
Ergo #1. 😀 I left out the <sarcasm> tags.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 14, 2009
It is stupid. Shoot-yourself-in-the-foot stupid — particularly if you can’t (even) choose ".tif" as an option.

Neil
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Feb 16, 2009
.tif (the three letter extension) is the correct extension

(too bad Apple is too stooopid to realize all file extensions should be a dot + 3 letter extension for cross=platform compatibility, ooooh, wait, maybe they do that on purpose).

All systems recognize .TIFF or .TIF (just as they do .HTM or .HTML and .INX or .INDD). There is no ‘dot + 3’ rule for cross-platform compatibility. Jeff may want to get out a bit. 🙂

While it is odd that Adobe is not following a standard with their own software, it can be represented either way.

which results in two files

That is a different matter and has no relation to how many letters are used to define TIF/TIFF.
PS
Peter_Sidell
Feb 21, 2009
I have played with this a little more and this is what I found. The file created by aperture has the tiff extension. If photoshop is set up to open all tiff files using camera raw, then when editing is complete and the file is saved it will be saved using the save as dialog even if save is selected, and the tiff file saves with a single f by default. The second f can be added in the save dialog box in which case it asks if you want to save the file that already exists. Save over the original tiff file and the edits will be visible in aperture.
On the other hand if camera raw only opens tiff files with adjustments, the the save command saves directly in which case the two f extension is maintained.
Apparently use of camera raw causes the save as dialog box to come up the first time the file is saved. Thus one can either add the second f in the dialog or forgo the use of camera raw for tiff files being brought in from aperture.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections