Posted By
A Kirk
Aug 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m sure this has cropped up before…

I scanned a photo from an old black and white. I scanned it at 600 dpi. Maybe I over did this, and should have scanned it at 300…don’t know.

Anyway, the file size was about 6 Mb. I saved it as a jpg, then brought it into PE2, and converted it to psd.

I duplicated the background, and it took forever to do this.

I then cropped the image, and it took forever to do that.

I then clone stamped a few defects on the background copy, and clicked "save" and it took forever for that operation.

I tried a "dust and noise" filter, and one other filter, and those operations took forever.

After saving, which took forever, I closed the file, and brought in another image that I had worked on, and it didn’t give me any trouble.

I checked the properties of the previously scanned image, and the file was 785 Mb! I’ve created big files before, but never one that big.

Any clues on how to avoid this? I know adding information to the pic increases the file size, but wow! No wonder it took forever to do those operations.

It like working on a copy of the background (should I do this differently??), but how could a 6 mb file jump exponentially like that?

Thanks.

Al

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 26, 2003
Al: Do you still have the image? If so, could you check under Image>Resize>Image Size and see what the pixel dimensions are? It would have to be huge to generate that large a file….

Chuck
SR
Schraven Robert
Aug 26, 2003
Chuck,

I read the topic and your reply and although I don’t own a scanner (yet) my question would be how to avoid that size up front?

Robert
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 26, 2003
Al, the original size is not bad at all – about the equivalent of a 9 megapixel camera – large, but not huge. Somehow, though, you must have resized the image with resample checked on; did you do anything with the Image>Resize>Image Size dialog box or perhaps with the Crop tool? Something caused that 4 x increase in each pixel dimension…

Chuck
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 26, 2003
Robert, the original size is not that bad – a 9 megapixel image. The way to avoid it is to scan at a lower resolution, although if your computer can handle the larger image it’s best to scan at the scanner’s highest true resolution and ‘shed pixels’ within Elements later.

Chuck

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections