MB
Posted By
Mark Bolton
Jan 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ive never quite worked this out…its probably me being dumb, but I cant work it out. When I open a Tiff in PS7, the file size at the bottom gives the file size, as say, 30mb. If I then change it to a slightly compressed JPEG at a smaller image size, the figures at the bottom change to maybe 10mb. This is obviously wrong, and when I then send the jpeg by email, the attachment is listed as , say 800kb. It also lists the image as filename.tif.jpg. How do I find the true file size, and what is a tif.jpg? many thanks for your help in advance. Mark

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EG
Eric Gill
Jan 30, 2004
"Mark Bolton" wrote in
news:4vtSb.3705$:

Ive never quite worked this out…its probably me being dumb, but I cant work it out. When I open a Tiff in PS7, the file size at the bottom gives the file size, as say, 30mb. If I then change it to a slightly compressed JPEG at a smaller image size, the figures at the bottom change to maybe 10mb. This is obviously wrong,

Why? Smaller number of pixels, plus the layers are flattened. That’s hardly unreasonable.

and when I then
send the jpeg by email, the attachment is listed as , say 800kb.

Okay. You compressed the hell out of it.

It
also lists the image as filename.tif.jpg. How do I find the true file size,

In Photoshop, the figure on the left is the raw file size by pixel dimensions. On the right, what Photoshop is using with layers and the like.

and what is a tif.jpg?

You screwed up the filename when you saved it to a jpeg.
T
tacitr
Jan 30, 2004
When I open a Tiff in PS7, the file size at the bottom gives the file size, as say, 30mb. If I then change it to a slightly compressed JPEG at a smaller image size, the figures at the bottom change to maybe 10mb.

When you make the image size smaller, it goes down to 10MB. That is the uncompressed size of the layered image.

This is obviously wrong, and when I then send the jpeg by email, the attachment is listed as , say 800kb.

800KB=compressed, flattened size. 10MB=uncompressed, layered size.

It also lists the image as
filename.tif.jpg. How do I find the true file size, and what is a tif.jpg?

The "true" file size is the size on disk–800K. The "true" image size is the size when the image is uncompressed–10MB

A .tif.jpg is a JPEG. You did not set the name of the file correctly when you saved it.

Virus writers use this kind of convention to trick people, but the rule is very simple–you ONLY look at the LAST three letters. The file

myfile.tif.doc.eps.art.dxf.xls.jpg

is a JPEG. It’s not a TIFF, it’s not a Word file, it’s not an EPS, it’s not an AOL ART file, it’s not an Autocad file, it’s not an Excel spreadsheet, it’s a JPEG, plain and simple.

Virus writers will sometimes send out viruses that are named something like

britneynude.jpg.exe

It is not a JPEG. It’s an exe file, plain and simple. You look at the last three letters, nothing else.

Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections