CJ
Posted By
Chris_J_Boldman
Mar 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Im new to photoshop and was curious as to what it is about this pictures color that I find appealing. How was the original image manipulated to yield this effect? Thanks

<http://www.hipvideopromo.com/images/pics/deathcab2.jpg>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 5, 2004
The color saturation is reduced.

Neil
J
JasonSmith
Mar 5, 2004
And it looks like pretty raunching lighting – for effect that is.
P
povimage
Mar 5, 2004
The original vid may have been shot on chrome stock and cross-processed too. That would account for a lot of what you’re seeing. There seems to be a reduced tonal range both in the shadows and the highlights characteristic of that effect. Of course, that could also be mimicked in Photoshop, but I know of music videos that were shot that way.

Keith
AW
Allen_Wicks
Mar 5, 2004
Could have been just (intentionally?) poorly lit then desaturated a bit in PS, maybe adjustment of the Levels histogram. The shot would be easy to replicate with an SLR digicam and then PS.
R
Ram
Mar 5, 2004
All the above replies correctly address the lighting and saturation issues in Photoshop.

I’m at a loss to reply to your other question directly:

I … was curious as to what it is about this pictures color that I find appealing.

Beyond poor lighting and saturation, the subjects are standing way too close to the (fake) backdrop, hence the strong shadows, especially the one cast by the head and shoulders of the man on the extreme left. The expressions on the two guys on the right are adequate for the subject matter, but the ones on the guys with the green T-shirt and red jacket, respectively, look very much like what you see in mug shots.
R
Ram
Mar 5, 2004
Ah, my error! I realize you’re only saying the colors appeal to you. Never mind.
CJ
Chris_J_Boldman
Mar 5, 2004
Thank you all for the replies. Im sorry about the silly question concerning what I find intersting about the picture. Rather, I should have asked what makes the colors of this pic different. Thanks again,

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections