Posted By
dimitri_c
Feb 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello –

If I remeber well, I saw one day a filter (plug-in) or a tips, which convert images composed with CMYK to CMY (no more black, = black is made from/with CMY). Does anymone knows this tips or filter (third party)?

Because for example, I received a file which contains blackberries made perfectly with only CMY (no black), and they don’t look to much magenta, or blue, or…

Thanks a lot…

– Dimitri

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RG
Rene_Garneau
Feb 18, 2004
In PS 7, Go to Edit > Color Settings > In the Working Spaces area where it says CMYK, in the scroll down menu, select Custom CMYK (at this point, you’ll want to write down the Name, at the top, so you can revert to those settings once this little experiment is over); once you wrote down that Name, change the Black Generation to None and name that setting (let’s say Black Generation – None) > click OK.

Go back to your Photoshop document and change the color mode to RGB, then change it to CMYK again…Voila! Look at the Channel Palette, there is no black in the Black Channel.

It’s the fact of changing those settings and then going from RGB to CMYK that will change the Black.

I learned that in Dan Margulis’ book: Professional Photoshop
DC
dimitri_c
Feb 18, 2004
Thousand thanks Rene… for the tips it works!
B
Buko
Feb 18, 2004
Yes the cmy makes most of the color in the CMYK process. what the black adds is the shadow detail. this is what snaps the picture out and makes it crisp.
RG
Rene_Garneau
Feb 18, 2004
Just to clarify something here.

What this method does, is redistribute the information in the black channel into the CMY channels; it doesn’t delete the black information, just re-distribute it; therefore not a whole lot of that crispness is lost.
B
Buko
Feb 18, 2004
therefore not a whole lot of that crispness is lost.

maybe not on screen.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 18, 2004
100% C + 100% M + 100% Y = MUD

(and that’s brown mud, not black mud).

Print it and see!
RG
Rene_Garneau
Feb 18, 2004
OK. OK.

You don’t want to do that kind of thing very often either. And I don’t suggest you do it, unles you know what you’re doing.

We’ve used it on cheque backgrounds, because the black ink interfered with scanning account numbers. Re-mapping the black plate solved that problem.
B
Buko
Feb 18, 2004
We’ve used it on cheque backgrounds,

arn’t most of these pictures ghost images?
RG
Rene_Garneau
Feb 18, 2004
arn’t most of these pictures ghost images?

Yes.

But the black ink is the most critical.

Even a 10 or 15% of black (I don’t remember the exact amount) can interfere with the scanners reading those account numbers.

The Printer will print samples and he has an instrument that will tell him if the background will interfere with the Bank’s scanner. If it does, he’ll go back to the designer and ask to fix it.
B
Buko
Feb 18, 2004
I can understand not using black in a ghost image.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections