Posted By
friesian
Aug 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a specific task I want to do.

I want to take some photos of cats and alter their color without it looking fake. I am trying to illustrate a children’s book, and a couple of the main characters are solid white. I have not been able to find anybody with some solid white long haired cats who are friendly and easy to photograph.

But, I do happen to have two longhaired bluepoint cats. They are mostly white with light grey points (face, ears, feet, and tail). I can photograph them anytime I want to get the poses I need.

Is there a good technique for lightening the grey points so that the cats appear white? I have tried reducing contrast, working with greyscale photos, and the dodge tool. So far, I have been happiest with the dodge tool, though I haven’t been able to get it to look natural yet.

Anybody every do anything like this? Which techniques worked the best for you?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

T
Tacit
Aug 19, 2006
In article ,
"" wrote:

Is there a good technique for lightening the grey points so that the cats appear white?

Image->Adjust->Curves is likely a good place to start.

However, you should be aware that what you’re describing, done with professional-quality results, is a nontrivial task even for a skilled and experienced retoucher.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Nanohazard, Geek shirts, and more: http://www.villaintees.com
R
Rob
Aug 19, 2006
wrote:

I want to take some photos of cats and alter their color without it looking fake. I am trying to illustrate a children’s book, and a couple of the main characters are solid white. I have not been able to find anybody with some solid white long haired cats who are friendly and easy to photograph.

But, I do happen to have two longhaired bluepoint cats. They are mostly white with light grey points (face, ears, feet, and tail). I can photograph them anytime I want to get the poses I need.

Is there a good technique for lightening the grey points so that the cats appear white? I have tried reducing contrast, working with greyscale photos, and the dodge tool. So far, I have been happiest with the dodge tool, though I haven’t been able to get it to look natural yet.

Why not clone some bits in over the points.
B
bilglas
Aug 19, 2006
…….or select the gray areas with the lasso … soften the edges … then use Image>Adjustments>Selective Color>Neutrals … and crank down the black until the gray tones match the white around it.

========================================

wrote in message

MR
Mike Russell
Aug 19, 2006
wrote:
….
I want to take some photos of cats and alter their color without it looking fake.

Put one or two images up on a web page, such as www.flickr.com, and some of us will give it a try.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/
JF
John Forest
Aug 20, 2006
This seems to be a job tailor made for the patch tool. (If you have a version of Photoshop which has that tool.)
K
KatWoman
Aug 20, 2006
wrote in message

Want to buy shots of my gorgeous long haired white Japanese bobtail with one green and one blue eye?? Pretty Bowie Maneki-neko.

His modeling fee is $30.00 an hour and a large tub of Cosmic Catnip. You can come to Miami to shoot him in his natural environment which includes a daylight photo studio and outdoor area or pay travel, meals and hotel, handler fees etc.
I have cats in all kind of colors….shapes, sizes, ages and differing levels of tolerance for humans and other cats.
F
friesian
Aug 21, 2006
KatWoman wrote:

Want to buy shots of my gorgeous long haired white Japanese bobtail with one green and one blue eye?? Pretty Bowie Maneki-neko.

No thanks. When I need photos for something in particular, I trade photos for their time. I don’t pay cash, and I certainly don’t pay airfare and hotel costs to go across the country so that I can then pay someone more money. That would cost more than I expect to make on this book idea. Usually, I get paid for my photos, and then use them anyway I want.

This the first time I haven’t been able to find what I am looking for as they are a bit more rare, and I can figure out a way to make it work. I am almost satsifed with my attempts, so a bit more tweaking and I should have it.
D
Dave
Aug 22, 2006
On 21 Aug 2006 14:21:24 -0700, ""
wrote:

KatWoman wrote:

No thanks. When I need photos for something in particular, I trade photos for their time. I don’t pay cash, and I certainly don’t pay airfare and hotel costs to go across the country so that I can then pay someone more money. That would cost more than I expect to make on this book idea. Usually, I get paid for my photos, and then use them anyway I want.

Your Photoshop abilities better then your sense of humour?

Dave
K
KatWoman
Aug 22, 2006
"Dave" wrote in message
On 21 Aug 2006 14:21:24 -0700, ""
wrote:

KatWoman wrote:

Want to buy shots of my gorgeous long haired white Japanese bobtail with one
green and one blue eye?? Pretty Bowie Maneki-neko.

Dave

it would seem so, Dave.

I live in Miami, there are many animal model agencies and professional pets here. (Remember the alligator Elvis in Miami Vice TV show?) But I was kidding, I think my pets are not model material, as their are not docile enough.

and we pay our models (rates of $300-5000 per day are not uncommon) depending upon usage and experience
also have made a living solely from photography
(of humans) for the last 30 years.
We have had paid dog trainers to come on set and they did get paid decent rates.

OP Good luck turning your cats ears colors around
D
Dave
Aug 22, 2006
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:33:09 -0400, "KatWoman"
it would seem so, Dave.

I live in Miami, there are many animal model agencies and professional pets here. (Remember the alligator Elvis in Miami Vice TV show?)

Yes, I do…

But I was kidding, I think my pets are not model material, as their are not docile enough.

it was so obvious you were joking, KatWoman…
Have you noticed that freezian nowhere wrote under a name – not even freezes? It is as if that habit point to a certain kind of (isolated) person. Nervermind:-)

and we pay our models (rates of $300-5000 per day are not uncommon) depending upon usage and experience
also have made a living solely from photography
(of humans) for the last 30 years.
We have had paid dog trainers to come on set and they did get paid decent rates.

any vacancies for dog models. KatWoman? For that money, it’ll be worthwhile searching for a disguise, only I can not bark:-)

Dave
F
friesian
Aug 24, 2006
Dave wrote:

I guess so. I didn’t realize it was a joke. Sounded serious to me.

I’m always getting people at shows who think I will be thrilled to photograph their pets for free. I know they are just hoping for a freebie, but it gets old after awhile.
F
friesian
Aug 24, 2006
Dave wrote:

it was so obvious you were joking, KatWoman…
Have you noticed that freezian nowhere wrote under a name – not even freezes? It is as if that habit point to a certain kind of (isolated) person. Nervermind:-)

Sorry. Not sure what you mean here.

My name is Meghan Noecker. I used to have a sig file that posted my name, but my isp cancelled usenet, so I go through yahoo which doesn’t seme to have a sig file option. I don’t feel like typing my name each time I post.

Friesian is a breed of horse, and the one that got me started in photography.

If there is more you want to know, just ask 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections