D
Posted By
DNT
May 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use Photoshop CS and and an Epson Photo 2200. I find I have to make small test prints to make sure my prints are going to come out right. Most of the time they don’t look enough like they do on the monitor to satisfy me, and I waste too much paper and ink on testing. If anyone has any tips on monitor to print calibration, I would appreciate it. More specifically I need to know some things about icc profiles and printer settings. For one, if an image from a cd has an embedded profile should I use it and change my printer profile to match? Or should I change the embedded profile to match the one I usually use? Or, do the two not have to match at all? Maybe I should leave the embedded and use the one I usually use in my printer settings? Which, of course, brings up another question. Is it better to use the profile provided by the paper company? One that is,( I call them universal), such as adobe RGB, or one that I created with my calibration device. Which is a Spyder, by the way.
I know this is long, but there are just so many questions. Thanks to all who reply. DNT

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MR
Mike Russell
May 7, 2006
"DNT" wrote in message
I use Photoshop CS and and an Epson Photo 2200. I find I have to make small test prints to make sure my prints are going to come out right. Most of the time they don’t look enough like they do on the monitor to satisfy me, and I waste too much paper and ink on testing. If anyone has any tips on monitor to print calibration, I would appreciate it. More specifically I need to know some things about icc profiles and printer settings. For one, if an image from a cd has an embedded profile should I use it and change my printer profile to match? Or should I change the embedded profile to match the one I usually use? Or, do the two not have to match at all? Maybe I should leave the embedded and use the one I usually use in my printer settings? Which, of course, brings up another question. Is it better to use the profile provided by the paper company? One that is,( I call them universal), such as adobe RGB, or one that I created with my calibration device. Which is a Spyder, by the way.
I know this is long, but there are just so many questions. Thanks to all who reply. DNT

The rule of thumb is that if you like the way the image looks on your monitor, leave the image’s embedded profile alone.

Do use the correct profile for your paper when you print. Get the latest ones from Epson here:
< http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/EditorialAnnouncement.jsp ?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=42114986>

For a non-Epson paper, you are correct that you will need to use a profile provided by the paper manufacturer, or print a test target and have a service create a profile for that particular paper.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
B
bmoag
May 7, 2006
You need a better grasp of color management.
Even the first generation Spyder, if used correctly, should allow you to achieve a reasonably predictable relationship between your monitor image and your print.
You also need to understand how to use Photoshop and the printer driver together correctly.
There are many places on the web with very good step by step instructions. Epson offers a video tutorial at http://www.epsononlineexperience.com/ I strongly advise you to invest as the step by step video tutorials should get you up to speed rapidly.
RG
Roy G
May 8, 2006
"DNT" wrote in message

Hi there.

I have to agree with bmoag.

You really need to study up on Colour Management.

You will discover that there are different kinds of profiles, which are used for different purposes.

The Profiles you get with Printers for specific Papers are usually called "Canned". The Epson ones tend to be fairly accurate.

What you refer to as "Universal" are really called "Working Space" profiles and are entirely different from Device Profiles such as your Monitor profile and "Canned" Printer profile.

In a Print workflow, you would actually use all 3 types, and they would each be fulfilling a different function.

Have a look at the PS Help files and also www.computer-darkroom.com

Roy G
PF
Paul Furman
May 8, 2006
Start with the Adobe gamma utility in the windows control panel, that will get you pretty close if everything else is set up properly.

DNT wrote:

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections