MH
Posted By
Matti Haveri
Aug 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve played a few months with my Olympus mju/stylus 300. I only have an ancient B&W DeskWriter so I have printed a few test images as glossy 15x10cm (6×4") images at a shop with surprisingly good results. I’d like to do very basic editing to the images to get the best possible output from the shop. Some questions:

– Just what type of printer do the shops use to print their glossy 6×4" images from digital cameras (and color negatives)? Is is some kind of a continuos tone printer so no halftoning is used?? What is the minimum acceptable resolution for a 6×4" print for those devices: 150 ppi, 300 ppi?? Is there any benefit in bicubic upsampling of a severely cropped image (some guides suggest that scanned images suffer from upsampling but images from digital cameras may benefit from upsampling)?

– With such a printer service, is it necessary to limit the output levels so that no shadows or (non-specular) highlights are at the very end of the tonal range, like is advised for halftoned images, to avoid paper-white whites, for example?

– Is it necessary to sharpen images from a digital camera if they are printed in such a shop? The books seem to advocate much less sharpening than in halftone prints.

– AFAIK the monitor must be calibrated using the printer’s ICC profile but sadly many shops don’t yet provide them. I guess gamma 2.2 would be OK for such shops but what about the white point: should it be 6500 or 9300 or something else??

thanks for any input,

Matti Haveri

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections