D
Posted By
Dave
Oct 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I created a logo that is text based in a large image of about 750 pix x 550 pix. It consists of 2 main letters of 500 point size
each followed by a few letters of 150 point size. the 2 large letters are warped a little by the shear filter. I used such a large size since it made it easier to see precisely what I was doing. What’s the best way to resize to about a 100 x 75 pix image and retain as much sharpness as possible ?

My photoshop book talks of using a layer clipping path:
"A layer clipping path creates a sharp-edged shape on a layer and is useful anytime you want to add a design element with clean, defined edges."

How does changing the image resolution tie into all this. I created two images one at 150 DPI and the other at 600 DPI and on my computer, I saw no difference between the two. So what’s that about ?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Z
zarrookez
Oct 8, 2005
I created a logo that is text based in a large image of about 750 pix x
pix. It consists of 2 main letters of 500 point size
each followed by a few letters of 150 point size. the 2 large letters are warped a little by the shear filter. I used such a large size since it
made
it easier to see precisely what I was doing. What’s the best way to resize to about a 100 x 75 pix image and retain as much sharpness as possible ?
My photoshop book talks of using a layer clipping path:
"A layer clipping path creates a sharp-edged shape on a layer and is
useful
anytime you want to add a design element with clean, defined edges."
How does changing the image resolution tie into all this. I created two images one at 150 DPI and the other at 600 DPI and on my computer, I saw
no
difference between the two. So what’s that about ?

1) Logo’s should always consist of vector art, since logos will just about always be used for print and adjusted to various sizes.

2) If you *must* use raster text, save at 1200ppi. That means you must also start at 1200 ppi.

3) You will require a clipping path to make the background of the image transparent.

4) What you see on screen is of no consequence, since screen resolution is much less.
V
Voivod
Oct 8, 2005
On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 02:48:19 GMT, "Dave"
scribbled:

How does changing the image resolution tie into all this. I created two images one at 150 DPI and the other at 600 DPI and on my computer, I saw no difference between the two. So what’s that about ?

And you won’t, since DPI/PPI has not effect whatsoever on the way an image displays on your monitor.
T
Tacit
Oct 8, 2005
In article <TrG1f.11704$>,
"Dave" wrote:

I created a logo that is text based in a large image of about 750 pix x 550 pix. It consists of 2 main letters of 500 point size
each followed by a few letters of 150 point size. the 2 large letters are warped a little by the shear filter. I used such a large size since it made it easier to see precisely what I was doing. What’s the best way to resize to about a 100 x 75 pix image and retain as much sharpness as possible ?

Don’t use Photoshop.

Photoshop is not the right tool to use to make logos. Images in Photoshop can’t be resized the way vector images made in a drawing program can.

The proper tool for logo work is not Photoshop; instead, use a vector program like Illustrator.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
YD
yodel_dodel
Oct 8, 2005
tacit wrote:

Photoshop is not the right tool to use to make logos. Images in Photoshop can’t be resized the way vector images made in a drawing program can.

The proper tool for logo work is not Photoshop; instead, use a vector program like Illustrator.

Well, he could have turned the letter constructs into a smart object. That would allow to do all transformations, including the final resize, without losing any sharpness – just like in a vector program.

Gregor’s Motorradreisen:
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/
T
Tacit
Oct 8, 2005
In article <di9jc5$b00$>, "Greg N."
wrote:

Well, he could have turned the letter constructs into a smart object. That would allow to do all transformations, including the final resize, without losing any sharpness – just like in a vector program.

Of course, doing this has its downsides. The resulting file is not as fleexible as a file created in a real drawing program–for example, if it is saved as an EPS for placement in another program like a page layout program, it won’t be transparent unless he creates a clipping path.

Working with such afile is clumsier and more frustrating; Photoshop is designed primarily as a raster program, and its vector capabilities are quite crude.

Sure, you can do it, and you can drive nails with a screwdriver too. But using a hammer is more effective, easier, and less frustrating.

People try to force Photoshop to do tasks that it isn’t really well suited for, rather than using the right tool for the job.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
D
Dave
Oct 9, 2005
Well, thanks all for the suggestions. Unfortunately I don’t know enough about the subject to make a whole lot of sence of it.
Wish me luck.

"tacit" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote:

I created a logo that is text based in a large image of about 750 pix x 550
each followed by a few letters of 150 point size. the 2 large letters are warped a little by the shear filter. I used such a large size since it made
it easier to see precisely what I was doing. What’s the best way to resize
to about a 100 x 75 pix image and retain as much sharpness as possible ?

Don’t use Photoshop.

D
Dave
Oct 9, 2005
I went to the link below but couldn’t find a drawing program. Could you please send me the specific url. Thanks.

"tacit" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote:

I created a logo that is text based in a large image of about 750 pix x 550
each followed by a few letters of 150 point size. the 2 large letters are warped a little by the shear filter. I used such a large size since it made
it easier to see precisely what I was doing. What’s the best way to resize
to about a 100 x 75 pix image and retain as much sharpness as possible ?

Don’t use Photoshop.

T
Tacit
Oct 10, 2005
In article <eU_1f.11691$>,
"Dave" wrote:

I went to the link below but couldn’t find a drawing program. Could you please send me the specific url. Thanks.

The links in the end of my message are a signature.

Drawing programs include Adobe Illustrator (www.adobe.com), Macromedia Freehand, and CorelDRAW.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections