PJ
Posted By
Peter_J._Davies
Jun 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My image has a large expanse of black in the background. I want to replace the black with red. I select "replace color" but it will only make the black white. Replace color works on the other colors in the rest of the image. Changing the background square to red in the background/foreground menu does nothing, even though red becomes the color in the box of the Replace Color box: the hue slider still has no effect- the image remains black. The background box returns to black if I click the dropper on the image.

How can I change the large expanse of black to red (or any other color)? Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
dave_milbut
Jun 18, 2004
use a hue sat adjustment layer. check the colorize box.
PJ
Peter_J._Davies
Jun 18, 2004
Colorize doesn’t work (at least in my hands). However I realize the problem. The large area of black becomes part of the mask so that only the non-black areas are changed. So how do I mask the object and change the black background to red? (As this is a photo with nothing added Photoshop terms the whole photo background.)
L
LenHewitt
Jun 18, 2004
Peter,

In Levels, set the OUTPUT L.H. slider towards the centre. That will make the black grey. You can then re-colour that area
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 18, 2004
Colorize doesn’t work (at least in my hands).

* select the black with your favorite selection method.
* add a hue saturation adjustment layer.
* check colorize.
* up the lightness slider a bit then the other sliders work to adjust the black.
AC
Aaron_Cramer
Jul 2, 2004
use "Selective Color" go to black in the drop down menu, make sure the absolute bubble is checked, and drag your magenta and cyan sliders over, and drag your black to -100. that’ll do it. I use it every day. 🙂
JS
John_Slate
Jul 4, 2004
….of course he means magenta and yellow…

only works in CMYK mode.

On the other hand make a selection and fill with the color of your desire.

"Replace color" is a totally misnamed feature. It is really "Alter selected color" using HSB sliders.
AC
Aaron_Cramer
Jul 8, 2004
no….. it works in both modes… just has C – M – Y – K sliders.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections